Wesleyan Downs Skidmore in First Round of NCAA Women's Tennis Championship|
May 12, 2001
AMHERST, MA - Wesleyan University took two out of three doubles and four out of six singles matches to eliminate Skidmore College, 6-3, in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championships Saturday at Amherst College.
|Skidmore's Ashley Powell (left) |
and Amy Kunigiel took the
final doubles match down to
the wire before falling 9-8
Wesleyan freshman Dina Guth (Lexington, MA) and junior Tarsah Dale (The Dalles, OR) each posted singles wins and teamed to win their No. 2 doubles match, 8-4, over Skidmore's Alexis Karetzky (Fort Lee, NJ) and Dawn Penniston (Concord, MA) to pace the Cardinals.
Skidmore senior Amy Wachenheim (Rye, NY) was similarly impressive, downing Wesleyan's Nina Zeitlin (Scarsdale, NY), 6-0, 6-2, in No. 1 singles and teaming with classmate Heather Wood (Wading River, NY) to down Zeitlin and senior Rachel Sigman (Winnetka, IL), 8-3, in No. 1 doubles.
With the win, Wesleyan (15-3) advances to play top-seeded host Amherst in the second round Sunday at noon. The winner will advance to the NCAA quarterfinals at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas on May 18.
Saturday, May 12, 2001 - NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Northeast Regional @ Amherst College
Wesleyan University 6 - Skidmore College 3
1) Amy Wachenheim (Skid.) def. Nina Zeitlin (Wes.) 6-0, 6-2
2) Allison Rovner (Wes.) def. Heather Wood (Skid.) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3) Tarsah Dale (Wes.) def. Alexis Karetzky (Skid.) 6-2, 0-6, 7-5
4) Dina Guth (Wes.) def. Dawn Penniston (Skid.) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
5) Rachel Sigman (Wes.) def. Heather Fuleihan (Skid.) 7-6, 6-0
6) Nicki Sumoril (Skid.) def. Karlene Kunigiel (Wes.) 6-2, 6-0
1) Wachenheim/Wood (Skid.) def. Zeitlin/Sigman (Wes.) 8-3
2) Dale/Guth (Wes.) def. Karetzky/Penniston (Skid.) 8-4
3) Rovner/Sarah Seidman (Wes.) def. Kunigiel/Ashley Powell (Skid.) 9-8