M-Tennis Ousted in NCAA Regional|
May 11, 2001
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - The Amherst College men's tennis team fell to NESCAC rival Bowdoin College, 4-3, in the NCAA Northeast Regional at Williams College on Friday. Junior David Wellner (West Hartford, CT) and sophomores Andy Tsai (Tampa, FL) and Rob Feeley (Chappaqua, NY) each posted singles victories for the Jeffs, but Bowdoin sealed the win by taking two of the afternoon's three doubles matches.
Wellner and junior Bryan Wexler (West Newbury, MA) won a tie-breaker to claim the Jeffs' lone doubles victory over Bowdoin's Andy Miness and Patrick Soong. The narrow defeat capped an exceptional season for Amherst, which finished with an 11-6 record despite a roster devoid of any seniors.
Friday, May 11, 2001 - NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Northeast Regional
@ Williams College
Bowdoin College 4 - Amherst College 3
1) Colin Joyner (Bow.) def. Bryan Wexler (Amh.) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2) August Felker (Bow.) def. Brian Chin (Amh.) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3) Nick MacLean (Bow.) def. Adam Leibsohn 6-2, 7-5
4) Dave Wellner (Amh.) def. Evan Klein 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5) Andy Tsai (Amh.) def. Andy Miness 6-2, 6-3
6) Bob Feeley (Amh.) def. Ed Holmes 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-3
1) Joyner/Felker (Bow.) def. Leibsohn/Chin 8-2
2) MacLean/Holmes (Bow.) def. Tsai/Peter Ransmeier 8-4
3) Wexler/Wellner (Amh.) def. Miness/Patrick Soong 9-8 (5)