Junior Alicia Menezes toppled Amy Roche, the 2006 ITA Singles champion, in straight sets.
Menezes Upsets East's Top Player in Win at Middlebury
October 2, 2006
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The Amherst College women’s tennis team opened its head-to-head season with a 6-3 victory at Middlebury College on Saturday. The Jeffs posted solid results in both singles and doubles play, including nearly identical singles wins of 6-3, 6-0 by junior Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) and 6-0, 6-3 by classmate Laura Stein (Rockport, ME). Junior Alicia Menezes had an impressive afternoon, soundly beating reigning Wilson/ITA Singles Champion Amy Roche 6-0, 7-5. The Panthers tried to regain some momentum after trailing early in their matches, but could not muster a legitimate comeback run.
Amherst dominated doubles play, capturing all three matches and allowing only one to go to a tiebreaker. Menezes and first-year Brittany Berckes proved a solid doubles pairing, beating Middlebury’s number one doubles pairing 8-4.
Amherst returns to action Saturday to host archrival Williams College.
September 30, 2006 * Amherst 6 – Middlebury 3
1. Alicia Menezes (Amh.) def. Amy Roche (6-0, 7-5)
2. Claire Smyser def. Brittany Berckes (Amh.) (5-7, 7-5, 6-3)
3. Monica Snyder (Amh.) def. Emily Holick (6-3, 6-0)
4. Elizabeth Stone def. Jenny Murphy (Amh.) (6-2, 6-2)
5. Clare Burke def. Katie Hudson (Amh.) (6-0, 7-5)
6. Laura Stein (Amh.) def. Jamie Haar (6-0, 6-3)
1. Menezes/Berckes (Amh.) def. Roche/Smyser (8-4)
2. Snyder/Hudson (Amh.) def. Burke/Stone (8-6)
3. Murphy/Stein (Amh.) def. Emery/Hollick (9-8 )