Senior quad-captain Tristan Hedrick earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles on Thursday.
Jeffs Fall to Emory in NCAA Semifinals
May 19, 2005
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Amherst College women’s tennis team suffered a 5-3 loss to two-time defending national champion Emory University in the NCAA Tournament semifinals, hosted by Kalamazoo (Mich.) College on Thursday. Amherst fell to 11-3 and will face Middlebury College, who fell to Washington & Lee University 5-3 in the other semifinal matchup, in the third-place match tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. Emory (19-3) advances to face Washington & Lee for the NCAA crown tomorrow at 2 p.m.
Amherst trailed early, dropping all three doubles matches, while Emory junior Jamie Chan (Lakeland, FL) posted a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles over Amherst junior Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH) to take a 4-0 lead. However, the Jeffs rallied as senior quad-captain Rachel Holt (New York, NY) battled back from a 3-0 deficit in the third set to defeat Emory senior Carina Alberelli (Miami, FL) in the No. 1 singles match, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, and fellow senior quad-captain Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) secured the No. 2 singles bout with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Emory sophomore Richelle Marasigan (Stockton, CA). Amherst junior Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) followed suit, taking a three-set victory from Emory first-year Serena Burkard (Indianapolis, IN), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5, but the Jeffs’ comeback would end there as Emory first-year Indu Anand (Burr Ridge, IL) sealed the victory with a 7-6(2), 6-3 win over Amherst sophomore Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA).
Emory University 5 - Amherst College 3
1. Rachel Holt (A) def. Carina Alberelli (E) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
2. Tristan Hedrick (A) def. Richelle Marasigan (E) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Kristen Raverta (A) def. Serena Burkard (E) - 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Jamie Chan (E) def. Hadley Miller (A) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Linda Tien (E) vs. Monica Snyder (A) - 4-6, 4-5, DNF
6. Indu Anand (E) def. Katie Hudson (A) - 7-6(2), 6-3
1. Chan/Alberelli (E) def. Hedrick/Holt (A) - 8-6
2. Burkard/Alexandra Gross (E) def. Raverta/Snyder (A) - 8-5
3. Anand/Tiemeyer (E) def. Erin Murphy/Laura Stein (A) - 8-6