Junior Kristen Raverta posted a dominating 6-2, 6-2 victory in No. 3 singles play on Wednesday.
Jeffs Defeat Trinity Univ. in NCAA Quarterfinals
May 18, 2005
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Amherst College womenís tennis team advanced to the NCAA Tournament semifinals with a 5-2 quarterfinal victory over Trinity University at Kalamazoo (Mich.) College on Wednesday. The Jeffs will face defending national champion Emory University, who defeated the University of Redlands, 5-1, to advance to the semifinals, in a rematch of last seasonís national championship match tomorrow (Thursday) at 2:30 p.m.
The Jeffs opened a 2-1 lead in doubles play as Amherst senior quad-captains Rachel Holt (New York, NY) and Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) disposed of senior Christy Austin (Dallas, TX) and first-year Laura Steinmetz (The Woodlands, TX), 8-1, and Amherst junior Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) and rookie Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) paired for an 8-5 victory at No. 2 doubles over Trinity seniors Megan Suarez (Grapevine, TX) and Jackie Mendillo (St. Louis, MO).
Holt, Raverta and junior Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH) sealed the match in singles play, posting respective straight-set victories. Miller downed Suarez at No. 4, 7-5, 6-2, while Raverta crushed Steinmetz in the No. 3 tilt, 6-2, 6-2. Holt ended the match with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Mendillo.
Sophomore Hayley Dittus (Brentwood, TN) accounted for both Trinity points as she defeated Synder in the No. 5 singles match, 6-2, 7-5, and paired with rookie Alicia Hunt (Portland, OR) for an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
Amherst stretches its win streak to seven straight, improving to 11-2. Trinity wraps up its season at 21-4.
Amherst 5 - Trinity 2
1. Rachel Holt (A) def. Jackie Mendillo (T) - 6-4, 7-5
2. Tristan Hedrick (A) vs. Alicia Hunt (T) - 7-6, 5-7, 4-4 (7), DNF
3. Kristen Raverta (A) def. Laura Steinmetz (T) - 6-2, 6-2
4. Hadley Miller (A) def. Megan Suarez (T) - 7-5, 6-2
5. Hayley Dittus (T) def. Monica Snyder (A) - 6-2, 7-5
6. Katie Hudson (A) vs. Christy Austin (T) - 3-6, 2-2, DNF
1. Hedrick/Holt (A) def. Austin/Steinmetz (T) - 8-1
2. Raverta/Snyder (A) def. Suarez/Mendillo (T) - 8-5
3. Dittus/Hunt (T) def. Erin Murphy/Laura Stein (A) - 8-4