Senior Erin Murphy (pictured) teamed with rookie Laura Stein for a dramatic win at No. 3 doubles.
Jeffs Advance to NCAA Quarterfinals for Eighth Straight Year with 5-1 Win Over Tufts
May 8, 2005
S. HADLEY, MA - The Amherst College women’s tennis team earned its eighth straight trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a 5-1 win over visiting Tufts University in the final round of NCAA Northeast Regional play on Sunday. The match was originally scheduled for Amherst College but was moved to the indoor courts at nearby Mount Holyoke College due to inclement weather.
Amherst took two of the afternoon’s three doubles matches, and rookie Laura Stein (Rockport, ME) and senior Erin Murphy (Yonkers, NY) provided high drama, winning their No. 3 doubles tilt via a 7-2 tiebreaker. Amherst junior Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) then dispatched Jennifer Lejb (Katonah, NY) 6-1, 6-1 in No. 3 singles, while sophomore Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA) reeled in a 6-3, 6-0 win over Tufts No. 6 Stephanie Ruley (Mount Pleasant, SC). Amherst rookie Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) sealed the match with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Tufts No. 5 Trina Spear (Miami, FL), rendering the rest of singles play a foregone conclusion.
Amherst has now won six straight matches, upping its season record to 10-2. Tufts finishes its year at 9-6.
NCAA Tournament play will resume at Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Mich., May 18-23.
Amherst 5 - Tufts 1
1. Rachel Holt (A) vs. Jennifer Luten (T) - 3-6, 5-4, DNF
2. Tristan Hedrick (A) vs. Rebecca Bram (T) - 6-1, 6-5, DNF
3. Kristen Raverta (A) def. Jennifer Lejb (T) - 6-1, 6-1
4. Hadley Miller (A) vs. Kylyn Deary (T) - 2-6, 4-5, DNF
5. Monica Snyder (A) def. Trina Spear (T) - 7-5, 6-1
6. Katie Hudson (A) def. Stephanie Ruley (T) - 6-3, 6-0
1. Luten/Deary (T) def. Hedrick/Holt (A) - 8-6
2. Raverta/Snyder (A) def. Lejb/Pisheva (T) - 8-6
3. Erin Murphy/Laura Stein (A) def. Bram/Ashley Weisman (T) - 9-8 (7-2)