Tufts Women's Tennis Tops Wellesley 5-0 in NCAA Northeast Regional First Round
May 7, 2005
S. HADLEY, MA - The Tufts University women’s tennis team topped Wellesley College 5-0 in the first round of NCAA Northeast Regional play hosted by Amherst College on the indoor courts at nearby Mt. Holyoke College on Saturday. The Jumbos improved to 9-5 with the victory and will face host Amherst tomorrow with a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals in Kalamazoo, Michigan at stake. Wellesley finishes its season at 21-2.
Tufts swept all three doubles matches, and sophomores Jennifer Luten (Clayton, MO) and Kylyn Deary (Jackson, MI) won their respective singles matches to seal the win. Luten bested Wellesley first-year Jenna Mezin (Maui, HI) in the No. 1 matchup, 6-2, 6-1, while Deary defeated sophomore Emily McDonald (Williamsville, NY) in the No. 4 tilt, 6-4, 6-1.
Tufts 5 - Wellesley 0
1. Jennifer Luten (T) def. Jenna Mezin (W) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Rebecca Bram (T) vs. Kirsi Hakkinen (W) - 6-2, 4-2, DNF
3. Jennifer Lejb (T) vs. Trish Devine (W) - 6-3, 2-5, DNF
4. Kylyn Deary (T) def. Emily McDonald (W) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Trina Spear (T) vs. Hali Walther (W) - 6-3, 3-4, DNF
6. Stephanie Ruley (T) vs. Hana Freymiller - 0-6, 4-2, DNF
1. Luten/Deary (T) def. Mezin/Walther - 8-3
2. Lejb/Pisheva (T) def. Freymiller/Devine - 8-6
3. Bram/Ashley Weisman (T) def. McDonald /Esther Handy - 8-6