Amherst sophomore Katie Hudson (pictured) teamed with junior Kristen Raverta for an 8-1 victory at No. 2 doubles on Saturday.
Jeffs Win Fourth Straight, Down Wellesley, 7-2
April 16, 2005
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College women’s tennis team, ranked No. 1 in the region, won its fourth straight match on Saturday, dealing visiting Wellesley College its first loss of the year, 7-2. The Jeffs took two out of three doubles matches and five of six singles tilts as they improved to 8-2, while Wellesley fell to 21-1.
Senior quad-captains Rachel Holt (New York, NY) and Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) teamed for an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles, while junior Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) and sophomore Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA) claimed an 8-1 victory in the No. 2 slot. Holt, Hedrick and Raverta were equally successful in singles play, winning the No. 1, 2 and 3 matchups, respectively, and first-year Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) and senior quad-captain Erin Murphy (Yonkers, NY) took home the No. 5 and 6 singles matches in straight sets.
The Jeffs return to action next Saturday at 11 a.m. at archrival Williams College.
Amherst 7 - Wellesley 2
1. Rachel Holt (AC) def. Jenna Mezin (4-6, 6-4, 6-0)
2. Tristan Hedrick (AC) def. Kirsi Hakkinen (3-6, 6-4, 6-0)
3. Kristen Raverta (AC) def. Trish Devine (6-1, 7-5)
4. Emily McDonald (WC) def. Hadley Miller (4-6, 6-2, retired)
5. Monica Snyder (AC) def. Hali Walther (6-4, 6-0)
6. Erin Murphy (AC) def. Hana Freymiller (6-0, 6-4)
1. Holt/Hedrick (AC) def. Mezin/Walther (8-4)
2. Raverta/Hudson (AC) def. Devine/Freymiller (8-1)
3. McDonald/Esther Handy (WC) def. Murphy/Laura Stein (8-3)