Amherst rookie Monica Synder rips a forehand in Thursday's win over Conn. College.
Jeffs Blank Visiting Conn. College in Home Opener
March 31, 2005
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College women's tennis team played its first home match of the spring on Thursday and scored a decisive 9-0 victory over visiting Connecticut College, sweeping every set along the way.
Amherst senior Rachel Holt (New York, NY) faced the sternest test at No. 1 singles, falling behind 4-1 against Conn. sophomore Beret Remak (Minneapolis, MN) before reeling off 11 straight games to secure the win. Meanwhile, fellow senior Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) had little trouble dismissing Conn. rookie Lisa Steckmest (Pacific Palisades, CA) at No. 2, and juniors Kristen Raverta (W. Springfield, MA) and Hadley Miller (N. Canton, OH) were dominant in their singles victories. Amherst first-year Monica Synder (Newton, MA) and sophomore Katie Hudson (Los Altos, CA) were similarly impressive in wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
Senior Erin Murphy (Yonkers, NY) and rookie Laura Stein (Rockport, ME) then highlighted a trio of Amherst doubles wins with a decisive 8-1 victory over Conn. junior Holly Bawden (Leawood, KS) and sophomore Britt Fallon (Northboro, MA).
Conn. dropped to 6-5 with its third straight loss.
Now 5-2 overall, Amherst returns to action on Sunday, April 10, at 1 p.m. against visiting Middlebury College.
Amherst 9 - Conn. College 0
1. Rachel Holt (AMH) def. Beret Remak (6-4, 6-0)
2. Tristan Hedrick (AMH) def. Lisa Steckmest (6-1, 6-2)
3. Kristen Raverta (AMH) def. Laura Demoreuille (6-0, 6-1)
4. Hadley Miller (AMH) def. Amanda Poe (6-1, 6-0)
5. Monica Snyder (AMH) def. Danielle Coleman (6-2, 6-2)
6. Katie Hudson (AMH) def. Holly Bawden (6-1, 6-2)
1. Holt/Hedrick (AMH) def. Remak/Poe (8-2)
2. Raverta/Hudson (AMH) def. Demoreuille/Steckmest (8-6)
3. Erin Murphy/Laura Stein (AMH) def. Britt Fallon/Bawden (8-1)
VIEW PHOTOS from Thursday's win (courtesy of Sam Masinter '04, Amherst Public Affairs)