Sophomore Jeff Lawrence (shown) teamed with rookie Michael Mintz for a narrow 9-7 doubles win on Tuesday, and won his singles match as well, 6-2, 6-1.
Jeffs Blank Brandeis, 7-0
October 6, 2004
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College men’s tennis team blanked visiting Brandeis University on Tuesday, 7-0, in the Jeffs’ first dual match of the season. Amherst sophomore Jeff Lawrence (Irvine, CA) and first-year Michael Mintz (New York, NY) teamed for a narrow 9-7 doubles victory, while each won their respective singles match in straight sets as the Jeffs dealt Brandeis its first loss of the season.
Lawrence and Mintz’s doubles win was necessary to secure the doubles point as the rookie tandem of Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY) and Jeffrey Wan (Staten Island, NY) won their match 8-0, but Amherst’s No. 1 pairing - sophomore Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) and first-year Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX) - suffered an 8-4 defeat. The Jeffs won every singles match in straight sets, led by red-hot junior Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD), who reached the semifinals of the Wilson ITA New England Championships over the weekend. Babkes made quick work of Brandeis’ top player, Sam Jonas, winning 6-1, 6-2.
Amherst returns to action Friday at 3 p.m. at Roger Williams University.
Tuesday, October, 5 2004 * Amherst 7 - Brandeis 0 * Amherst, Massachusetts
1) Danny Babkes (Amh.) def. Sam Jonas, 6-1, 6-2
2) Lenny Lepner (Amh.) def. Tomas Wallenberg, 6-2, 6-1
3) Michael Mintz (Amh.) def. Mike Vulfovich, 6-1, 6-2
4) Geoff Schwartz (Amh.) def. Jaime Metrick, 6-4, 6-3
5) Max Rettig (Amh.) def. Rob Friedman, 6-3, 6-4
6) Jeff Lawrence (Amh.) def. Cliff Silverman, 6-2, 6-1
1) Jonas/Wallenberg (Bran.) def. Lepner/Schwartz, 8-4
2) Lawrence/Mintz (Amh.) def. Vulfovich/Metrick, 9-7
3) Avrahami/Wan (Amh.) def. Hart Comess-Daniels/Friedman, 8-0