Junior Danny Babkes (pictured) teamed with classmate Josh Rilla for an 8-4 doubles victory on Friday. (Photo courtesy of Brad Nadeau, Middlebury)
20th-Ranked Jeffs Upend No. 18 Bates in NCAA Northeast Regional
May 6, 2005
AMHERST, MA - The 20th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team steamrolled 18th-ranked Bates College in the opening round of NCAA Northeast Regional play at Middlebury College on Friday afternoon. With the victory, the Jeffs improve to 10-5 overall and advance to the Northeast Regional final, where they’ll meet host Middlebury, the top-ranked team in the nation, tomorrow at 3 p.m. with a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals in Santa Cruz, Calif., at stake.
Amherst gathered early momentum by taking the all-important doubles point, which interim head coach Rick Edelmann stressed in practice all week long leading up to the match. Juniors Josh Rilla and Danny Babkes set the tone with an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles, and rookie Mike Mintz and sophomore Jeff Lawrence followed suit with a tightly contested 8-6 win at No. 3.
Once singles play commenced, Amherst sophomore Lenny Lepner took down Bowdoin’s Greg Little in straight sets, while teammates Max Rettig and Geoff Schwartz posted respective two-set wins over Sam Duvall and Pat Conway to seal the team victory.
Amherst 4 - Bates 1
1. Will Boe-Wiegaard (B) def. Josh Rilla (A) 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. Danny Babkes (A) vs. Blake Wayman (B) 7-6 (5), 5-0 (DNF)
3. Lenny Lepner (A) def. Greg Little (B) 7-6 (10), 6-1
4. Michael Mintz (A) vs. Tristan Beach (B) 3-6, 6-0, 2-1 (DNF)
5. Max Rettig (A) def. Sam Duvall (B) 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Geoff Schwartz (A) def. Pat Conway (B) 6-1, 6-0
1. Josh Rilla/Danny Babkes (A) def. Will Boe-Wiegaard/Sam Duvall (B) 8-4
2. Lenny Lepner/Geoff Schwartz (A) def. Blake Wayman/Tristan Beach (B) 8-6
3. Greg Little/Josh Feinberg (B) def. Michael Mintz/Jeff Lawrence (A) 8-6