Junior Danny Babkes won his second straight singles match on Tuesday, taking the No. 2 tilt, 6-3, 6-0.
20th-Ranked Jeffs Snap Two-Match Skid with 6-1 Win Over Tufts
April 19, 2005
AMHERST, MA - The 20th-ranked Amherst men’s tennis team swept the doubles point and won five singles matches, halting a two-match losing streak with a 6-1 win over visiting Tufts University on Tuesday.
Amherst (9-5) claimed all three doubles tilts to snag the opening point for the first time in four matches. With the early lead in hand, senior captain Max Rettig (Rockford, IL), who’s become a handful at No. 4, juniors Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) and Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) and precocious rookie Mike Mintz (New York, NY) rolled to straight-set wins in singles play, and sophomore Jeff Lawrence (Irvine, CA) wrapped up a three-set victory after the team match had already been decided.
Tufts had won two in a row before falling at Amherst and now stands 4-6 overall. Both teams will see action in the NESCAC Championship Tournament, held Friday through Sunday at Amherst.
Amherst 6 - Tufts 1
1. Josh Rilla (Amh.) def. Rifat Perahya (6-4, 6-1)
2. Danny Babkes (Amh.) def. Adam Yates (6-3, 6-0)
3. Paul Roberts (Tuf.) def. Lenny Lepner (6-3, 6-1)
4. Mike Mintz (Amh.) def. William Fleder (6-2, 6-0)
5. Max Rettig (Amh.) def. Jon Rubenstein (6-3, 6-1)
6. Jeff Lawrence (Amh.) def. Sean McCooey (6-2, 4-6, 11-9)
1. Rilla/Babkes (Amh.) def. Roberts/Matt Gallin (8-1)
2. Lepner/Geoff Schwartz (Amh.) def. Perahya/McCooey (8-2)
3. Mintz/Jon Godsall (Amh.) def. Fleder/Rubenstein (9-7)