Rookie Michael Mintz earned a clutch 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 victory at No. 4 singles on Wednesday.
Rookie Mintz Tallies Clutch Victory in Jeffs' Win Over Trinity
April 12, 2005
AMHERST, MA - Rookie Mike Mintz (New York, NY) and the rest of the Amherst College menís tennis team braved the elements and a determined Trinity College club en route to a hard-fought 4-3 win over the visiting Bantams on Tuesday.
After losing the doubles point, senior Max Rettig (Rockford, IL), junior Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) and sophomore Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) each posted straight-set singles wins for Amherst, leaving the fate of the match up to Mintz and Trinity junior Jon Hart, who were the last two players on the courts for the entirety of their third set. In swirling winds that turned lobs into knuckle balls and dropped the temperature down to the low 40ís, Mintz gutted out the third set, 6-3, giving Amherst its fourth win in its last five outings and a clear head of steam heading into this Saturdayís matchup against defending NCAA Champ Middlebury College.
Trinity dropped to 8-2 with the loss, while Amherst improved to 8-3. The Jeffs host Middlebury Saturday at 1 p.m.
Amherst 4 - Trinity 3
1. Brian Marsden (Trin.) def. Josh Rilla (6-3, 6-2)
2. Danny Babkes (Amh.) def. Brett Ramsay (6-3, 6-2)
3. Lenny Lepner (Amh.) def. Jimmie Aimes (6-3, 6-4)
4. Mike Mintz (Amh.) def. Jon Hart (6-4, 5-7, 6-3)
5. Max Rettig (Amh.) def. Tom Dolan (6-2, 7-6)
6. Jon McLeman (Trin.) def. Jeff Lawrence (6-0, 4-6, 6-0)
1. Ramsay/Marsden (Trin.) def. Rilla/Babkes (8-3)
2. Lepner/Schwartz (Amh.) def. Aimes/Hart (8-5)
3. Dolan/Daniel Merns (Trin.) def. Mintz/Jon Godsall (8-6)