Sophomore Lenny Lepner wore out NYU's Ian Corn in No. 2 singles.
Jeffs Roll Past NYU, 5-2
April 10, 2005
AMHERST, MA - After suffering a hard-fought loss to archrival Williams College on Saturday, the Amherst College menís tennis team rebounded with a 5-2 win over visiting New York University on Sunday, upping its record to 7-3.
The Jeffs claimed the doubles point as sophomore Jon Godsall teamed with rookie Mike Mintz for an easy 8-1 win, and first-years Tal Avrahami and Jeff Wan followed with an 8-5 victory.
Sophomore Lenny Lepner fell short in his doubles bid, along with first-year teammate Geoffrey Schwartz, but rebounded to grind out a 6-4, 5-7, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles. Amherstís Josh Rilla pulled out a three-set singles win as well, while senior Max Rettig and sophomore Jeff Lawrence each prevailed in straight sets.
NYU dropped to 7-2 with the loss.
Amherst returns to action Tuesday at 3 p.m. against visiting Trinity College.
Amherst 5 - NYU 2
1. Josh Rilla (AC) def. Mikhail Gurevich (2-6, 6-0, 7-5)
2. Lenny Lepner (AC) def. Ian Corn (6-4, 5-7, 6-0)
3. Max Rettig (AC) def. Nikko Buencamino (6-1, 6-1)
4. Kolby Loft (NYU) def. Jon Godsall (6-2, 6-2)
5. Chris Chang (NYU) def. Jeff Wan (7-5, 6-2)
6. Jeff Lawrence (AC) def. Zubair Ghouse (6-3, 6-4)
1. Corn/Ghouse (NYU) def. Schwartz/Lepner (8-6)
2. Mike Mintz/Godsall (AC) def. Joshua Beirne-Golden/Gurevich (8-1)
3. Wan/Tal Avrahami (AC) def. Chang/Buencamino (8-5)
VIEW PHOTOS from Thursday's win (courtesy of Sam Masinter '04, Amherst Public Affairs)