Rookie Michael Mintz posted a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles.
Jeffs Make it Two in a Row with Win at Wesleyan
April 2, 2005
MIDDLETOWN, CT - The Amherst College men’s tennis team won its second match in as many days with a 6-1 victory at Little Three rival Wesleyan University on Saturday. Senior Max Rettig (Rockford, IL), juniors Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) and Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA), sophomore Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) and first-year Michael Mintz (New York, NY) each rolled to straight-set singles wins as the Jeffs improved to 6-2. Rilla also paired with Babkes for an 8-2 doubles win, while Lepner teamed with junior Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ontario) for an 8-0 thrashing of Wesleyan’s Mike Roguly and Adam Stone. Amherst rookies Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY) and Jeffrey Wan (Staten Island, NY) helped cement the rout with a hard-fought 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles.
Wesleyan fell to 2-6 with the loss.
Amherst returns to action next Saturday (Apr. 9) at 1 p.m. against visiting archrival Williams College. Williams has appeared in four consecutive national finals and has won three of the last six NCAA Championships.
Amherst 6 - Wesleyan 1
1. Josh Rilla (AC) def. Max Kates (6-1, 6-4)
2. Danny Babkes (AC) def. Tallen Todorovich (6-3, 6-4)
3. Lenny Lepner (AC) def. Mike Roguly (6-1, 6-2)
4. Michael Mintz (AC) def. Evan Rhodes (6-4, 6-4)
5. Max Rettig (AC) def. Matt Cron (6-3, 6-4)
6. Jack Rooney (Wes.) def. Karti Subramanian (4-6, 7-6, 6-1)
1. Rilla/Babkes (AC) def. Rhodes/Todorovich (8-2)
2. Lepner/Jon Godsall (AC) def. Roguly/Adam Stone (8-0)
3. Jeffrey Wan/Tal Avrahami (AC) def. Kates/Rooney (8-6)