Rookie Geoff Schwartz earned his second singles victory in as many days on Thursday.
Jeffs Fall at Vanguard, 5-2
March 17, 2005
COSTA MESA, CA - The Amherst College menís tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss at Vanguard University on Thursday. Rookie Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX) posted his second consecutive singles victory, while junior Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) earned his first singles win of the spring as the Jeffs fell to 4-2 on the year.
Schwartz topped first-year William Strom, 6-3, 6-0, in the No. 6 slot, while Rilla carried a 3-1 lead in the first set before junior Andreas Guertner retired. Schwartz also teamed with sophomore Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) for an 8-6 doubles victory over Strom and first-year Cyril Conty. However, Vanguard posted 8-4 and 8-2 wins in the first and second doubles matches, respectively, to take the point.
Amherst returns to action Saturday at 2 p.m. (PST) at the University of Redlands.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 * Vanguard 5 - Amherst 2
1) Josh Rilla (Amh.) def. Andreas Guertner (3-1, retired)
2) Dieter Weislmaier (VAN) def. Danny Babkes (6-0, 6-0)
3) Cyril Conty (VAN) def. Lenny Lepner (6-2, 6-3)
4) Andreas Reckziegel (VAN) def. Michael Mintz (6-2, 6-0)
5) Christoph Schramm (VAN) def. Max Rettig (4-6, 7-6, 10-2)
6) Geoff Schwartz (Amh.) def. William Strom (6-3, 6-0)
1) Guertner/Schramm (VAN) def. Rilla/Babkes (8-4)
2) Weislmaier/Reckziegel (VAN) def. Mintz/Jon Godsall (8-2)
3) Lepner/Schwartz (Amh.) def. Conty/Strom (8-6)