Sophomore Lenny Lepner posted a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles on Wednesday.
Jeffs Open Spring Slate with 5-2 Loss at Cal Lutheran
March 16, 2005
THOUSAND OAKS, CA - The Amherst College menís tennis team opened its spring slate with a 5-2 loss at California Lutheran University on Wednesday. Sophomore Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) and first-year Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX) each notched singles victories, while juniors Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) and Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) teamed for the lone doubles win as the Jeffs fell to 4-1 on the year.
Lepner posted a 6-2, 6-4 win over Cal Lutheran junior Karlo Arapovic in the No. 3 match, while Schwartz was victorious at No. 6, topping junior Derek Starleaf, 6-4, 6-4. Rilla and Babkes bested Arapovic and junior J.V. Vallejos in the No. 1 doubles match, but the Kingsmen took both the No. 2 and No. 3 matches to steal the doubles point.
Amherst returns to action Thursday at 2 p.m. (PST) at Vanguard University.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 * Cal Lutheran 5 - Amherst 2
1) Quinn Caldaron (CLU) def. Josh Rilla (7-6) (6), 6-3)
2) J.V. Vallejos (CLU) def. Danny Babkes (6-2, 6-3)
3) Lenny Lepner (Amh.) def. Karlo Arapovic (6-2, 6-4)
4) Artem Fatkhiev (CLU) def. Michael Mintz (5-7, 6-1, 6-3)
5) Ben Staley (CLU) def. Max Rettig (6-4, 6-4)
6) Geoff Schwartz (Amh.) def. Derek Starleaf (6-4, 6-4)
1) Rilla/Babkes (Amh.) def. Vallejos/Arapovic (8-2)
2) Caldaron/Staley (CLU) def. Lepner/Jon Godsall (8-3)
3) Fatkhiev/Jacob Jensen (CLU) def. Jeff Lawrence/Karti Subramanian (8-1)