Jeffs Win at Brandeis, 4-3
FROM A BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY RELEASE
October 1, 2003
WALTHAM, MA - The Amherst College menís tennis team was victorious at Brandeis University on Tuesday, 4-3, with sophomore Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ont.) winning the deciding match in three sets, 2-6, 7-6, 6-4.
After dropping the first set to Brandeisí Jaime Metrick, Godsall rebounded to win the second 7-6, in a tiebreaker, and the third was moved indoors due to darkness, where Godsall sealed the victory for the Jeffs, 6-4. Also earning singles victories for the Jeffs were sophomore Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) and junior Max Retting (Rockford, IL), both in straight sets.
The Jeffs won two of three doubles matches with Rilla and first-year Jeff Lawrence (Irvine, CA) winning 8-3, and sophomore Scott Bronner (Chicago, IL) and rookie Karti Subramanian (Washington, DC) teaming for an 8-1 victory.
Amherst moves to 2-1 with the win, and returns to action Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. against visiting Holy Cross.
AMHERST 4 - BRANDEIS 3
1) Josh Rilla (Amherst) def. Tomas Wallenberg (Brandeis), 6-1, 6-4
2) Sam Jonas (Brandeis) def. Jeff Lawrence (Amherst), 6-3, 6-2
3) Max Rettig (Amherst) def. Aaron Rifkind (Brandeis), 6-2, 6-1
4) Jon Godsall (Amherst) def. Jaime Metrick (Brandeis), 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4
5) Mike Vulfovich (Brandeis) def. Scott Bronner (Amherst), 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
6) Rob Friedman (Brandeis) def. Karti Subramanian (Amherst), 6-4, 6-3
1) Rilla/Lawrence (Amherst) def. Metrick/Alan Berk (Brandeis), 8-3
2) Wallenberg/Jonas (Brandeis) def. Rettig/Godsall (Amherst), 8-3
3) Bronner/Subramanian (Amherst) def. Rifkin/Friedman (Brandeis), 8-1