Sophomore Jon Godsall posted a 6-3, 6-2 singles win on Wednesday.
Jeffs Fall at Division I Hartford, 5-2
September 24, 2003
WEST HARTFORD, CT - The Amherst College men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision at the University of Hartford on Wednesday, despite singles wins by sophomores Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) and Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ont.). Rilla outlasted Hartford No. 1 Patrick Flint 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, while Godsall had an easy time with Hartford No. 5 Jorge Acuna, winning 6-3, 6-2.
The Jeffs also claimed one of the afternoon’s three doubles matches, with rookie Karti Subramanian (Washington, DC) and sophomore Scott Bronner (Chicago, IL) upending Hartford’s Acuna and Evan Sideman.
Amherst evened its record at 1-1 with the loss, and returns to action this Friday through Sunday at the Omni ITA Invitational, hosted by MIT.
HARTFORD 5 - AMHERST 2
1) Josh Rilla (Amherst) def. Patrick Fling (6-4, 3-6, 6-2)
2) Jeff Hurlbert (Hartford) def. Danny Babkes (6-2, 7-5)
3) Clint Broadie (Hartford) def. Jeff Lawrence (N/A)
4) Devin Homan (Hartford) def. Max Rettig (7-5, 6-1)
5) Jon Godsall (Amherst) def. Jorge Acuna (6-3, 6-2)
6) Evan Sideman (Hartford) def. Will Abbott (6-1, 6-4)
1) Hurlbert/Broadie (Hartford) def. Rilla/Lawrence (8-4)
2) Flint/Homan (Hartford) def. Babkes/Godsall (8-2)
3) Karti Subramanian/Scott Bronner (Hartford) def. Acuna/Sideman (8-4)