Jeffs Bow to Emory in NCAA Quarterfinals
Rookie Rachel Holt posted one of three singles wins for the Jeffs
May 18, 2002
SWEET BRIAR, VA – The Amherst College women's tennis team fell just shy of reaching the national semifinals for the fifth consecutive season on Friday, falling to Emory University 6-3 at the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals, hosted by Sweet Briar College. The Jeffs, who won the college's first and only national championship in any sport in 1999, won three of the afternoon's singles matches but were swept in doubles play.
Senior Steph Fong (Los Altos, CA), first-year Rachel Holt (New York, NY) and junior Roopali Agarwal (Boxford, MA) each posted singles wins for Amherst, which finishes its season at 11-7. However, Fong and Holt's seasons aren't through yet. Both have qualified for the NCAA Singles Championships, which kick off Monday morning at Sweet Briar. Fong will also team with classmate Heather Cole (Pikesville, MD) in the doubles championships, which also begin on Monday.
2002 Division III Women's Tennis (results as reported by Sweet Briar College)
Emory 6, Amherst 3
1. Steph Fong/Heather Cole (AC) vs. Mary Ellen Gordon/Anusha Natarajan (EU) EU 8-2
2. Roopali Agarwal/Rachel Holt (AC) vs. Margaret Moscato/Emily Warburg (EU) EU 8-2
3. Tristen Hedrick/Roopali Agarwal (AC) vs. Julia Jacobs/Shannon Lovett (EU) EU 8-2
1. Steph Fong (AC) vs. Mary Ellen Gordon (EU) AC 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
2. Rachel Holt (AC) vs. Margaret Moscato (EU) AC 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Heather Cole (AC) vs. Julia Jacobs (EU) EU 6-1, 6-2
4. Wallis Molchen (AC) vs. Shannon Lovett (EU) EU 6-0, 6-1
5. Tristen Hedrick (AC) vs. Carina Alberelli (EU) EU 6-4, 6-2
6. Roopali Agarwal (AC) vs. Lindsay Tiemeyer (EU) AC 3-6, 1-2 (ret)