Jeffs Advance to NCAA Elite Eight After Downing Visiting Tufts, 6-3
First-year Tristan Hedrick was able to edge her opponent in three sets.
May 12, 2002
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College women's tennis team advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight after downing visiting Tufts University, 6-3, on Sunday. The Jeffs will travel to Sweet Briar College and meet an opponent to be determined, in the quarterfinals on Friday, May 17th.
Senior co-captain Stephanie Fong (Los Altos, CA), first-year sensation Rachel Holt (New York, NY) and junior Roopali Agarwal (Boxford, MA) each won their respective singles matches in straight sets, while first-year Tristan Hedrick (Walnut Creek, CA) was able to edge Neda Pisheva in three sets.
Fong and Cole also went on to win their doubles match, while Hedrick and sophomore Wallis Molchen (Wilmington, DE) teamed up to down their opponents.
With the victory, Amherst improves to 11-6 overall, while Tufts season comes to an end at 11-3.
Women's Tennis vs. Tufts - May 12, 2002
Amherst 6 - Tufts 3
1. Stephanie Fong (Amh.) def. Katie Nordstrom (6-4, 6-1)
2. Rachel Holt (Amh.) def. Barclay Gang (6-3, 6-0)
3. Iffy Saeed (Tufts) def. Heather Cole (6-3, 3-6, 0-6)
4. Trina Spear (Tufts) def. Wallis Molchen (0-6, 7-5, 4-6)
5. Tristan Hedrick (Amh.) def. Ned Pisheva (6-7, 6-1, 6-1)
6. Roopali Agarwal (Amh.) def. Nicole Arens (6-0, 6-0)
1. Fong/Cole (Amh.) def. Nordstrom/Saeed (8-2)
2. Gang/Pisheva (Tufts) def. Agarwal/Holt (8-5)
3. Molchen/Hedrick (Amh.) def. Spear/Arens (8-4)