Jeffs Post First Spring Loss, 4-3, at Trinity
Sophomore Andrew Merle posted one of three Amherst singles wins
April 7, 2002
HARTFORD, CT – After winning its spring-opener against visiting Wesleyan University on Friday, the Amherst College men's tennis team fell at Trinity College, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon. The Jeffs and Bantams split six singles matches, but Trinity won two out of three on the doubles court to seal the victory.
Senior Bryan Wexler (West Newbury, MA), first-year Will Abbott (Katonah, NY) and sophomore Andrew Merle (Lynnfield, MA) each posted singles wins for Amherst, which fell to 2-3 with the loss. The Jeffs return to action Monday at 3 p.m. at Tufts University, their third straight match against a NESCAC opponent.
Trinity College 4 – Amherst College 3
1) Bryan Wexler (Amherst) def. Richard Lawrence (5-7, 6-3, 6-4)
2) Scott Levy (Trinity) def. Adam Leibsohn (7-6, 6-4)
3) Csaba Ceodry (Trinity) def. Andy Tsai (7-6, 6-4)
4) Mo Khan (Trinity) def. George Tsai (6-4, 6-4)
5) Will Abbott (Amherst) def. Peter Green (6-4, 6-2)
6) Andrew Merle (Amherst) def. Cliff Stevens (6-2, 6-0)
1) Lawrence/Khan (Trinity) def. Merle/Leibsohn (8-2)
2) Peter Ransmeier/A. Tsai (Amherst) def. Green/Levy (8-4)
3) Stevens/Steele (Trinity) def. Abbott/Andy Sagor (8-4)