2002 Commencement Schedule of Events
Friday | Saturday | Sunday
See also Commencement Information and Conversations
with Honored Guests
- 1 to 11 p.m.
- Check-in for seniors and families, Converse Lobby.
- 10 a.m.
- Baccalaureate Service, Johnson Chapel. Speaker: The Rev. Dr. Frederick J.
Streets, Chaplain of Yale University.
- 10 a.m.
- Phi Beta Kappa Meeting, Stirn Auditorium. Speaker: Lawrence R. Douglas, Associate
Professor of Law, Jurisprudence and Social Thought.
- 11 a.m.
- Commencement Rehearsal, Main Quadrangle. It is important that all seniors
- 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.
- Luncheon for seniors, families, and faculty. Fayerweather Quadrangle. (In
case of rain, Valentine Hall.)
- 2 p.m.
- Senior Class Exercises, Main Quadrangle. Announcement of Honorary Class Members.
Speakers: Peter Jennings, Anchorman and Senior Editor of ABC World News Tonight;
Rajiv A. DCruz 02, Jamuna Kelley 02, and Kate Levin 02.
Phebe and Zephaniah Swift Moore Teaching Awards to Stephen Farrell, Helen Foucault
85, Richard Gusick, and Lori Morin. (In case of rain, LeFrak Gymnasium.)
- 3:30 p.m.
- Conversations with Honored Guests, at
locations around campus. Several 2002 Honorary Degree Recipients will speak
to seniors and their guests. (A schedule of speakers and topics is available at
Commencement Headquarters, Converse Lobby.)
- 4 to 5 p.m.
- President's Reception, Garden of the President's House. For seniors and their
families, and members of the faculty and administration.
- 5 p.m.
- Sigma Xi Meeting, Stirn Auditorium.
- 9:15 p.m.
- Choral Society Concert, Buckley Recital Hall, Arms Music Center. Amherst College
Concert Choir, Womens Chorus, and Mens Glee Club, directed by Mallorie
Chernin, Greg Brown 98, and Mollie Stone 01, and The Madrigal Singers,
directed by Whitney Cox 03 and Alison Kaufmann 03. Tickets $6, $3
for senior citizens, children 12 and under, and Amherst students with ID; tickets
available in Converse Lobby during check-in and at Buckley Recital Hall the evening
of the performance.
Top of Page
- 10 a.m.
- The 181st Commencement, Main Quadrangle. Addresses by Tom Gerety, President
of the College, and Jacob Schulz 02. Marshal: Professor Rose R. Olver. Honorary
Marshal: Winthrop H. Smith, Jr. 71.
Note: If severe weather requires Commencement to be indoors, the event will be
held in LeFrak Gymnasium. To learn the location, call 542-7669 or go to www.amherst.edu
after 8 a.m. Sunday. Seating in the Gym is limited to ticket holders, and each
senior will be given three tickets for family or other guests; there will be a
video simulcast of the event in the Coolidge Cage, next to the Gym, for people
without tickets. When Commencement is outdoors, seating is unlimited.
- A buffet luncheon will be served in Fayerweather Quadrangle after the Commencement
Exercises. (In case of rain, Valentine Hall.) The charge for persons without tickets
will be $7.50 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. Tickets will be available
at the luncheon.
Top of Page