<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> 2016 Tufts Last Chance

2016 Tufts Last Chance

At Tufts March 4th

Full Results

Mo Hussein
Chris Butko
Steven Lucey
Dan Crowley
Jesse Fajnzylber
Vernon Espinoza
Jeff 3:03.6
Brent 50.5
Kristian 1:55.5
Kevin 4:18.7



Meet Recap:

Performers of the Weekend - Jeff Seelaus

With the choice of going to Staten island to compete at ECAC's on Friday and Saturday or opting for a one day on Friday Last Chance meet on the flat track of Tufts, we decided to head back into Boston to take our last chance there. The meet was small in size but loaded with talent, and in the events we would be competing in, we were certainly not left with a lack of quality competition with the goals being pretty simple - running as fast as possible. The DMR was the first event, and while a bit worried about the size of the field - 14 teams on the line - Jeff put those concerns at ease, as he got off the line quickly and established himself in great position right from the start. Come though in 60 then 2:01, he was not out of the Top 5 and within a step or two of the leader, and after hitting the 1000 in 2:32.5 he closed strongly to hand off in great position about 3rd-4th, and made a smooth hand-off to Brent for the 400. The first lap, Brent lost a little ground to the true 400 runners, but then in the 2nd lap should his experience and 800 strength as he made the ground back up, and used a great homestretch kick to get the baton to Kristian just off the leaders and with a smooth running lane. On the 800 leg, Kristian worked himself into the lead pack of 4-5 guys and after an opening 400 of 56 the pace slowed a little, strides got choppy and things started to bunch up and he lost a little ground but dug deep in the last 100 to find some unimpeded running room on the outside, and handed off to Kevin amongst a tight group of 4 runners. Kevin immediately put himself onto the tail of the front group - 4 runners - and while the first lap was good and honest (about 31 seconds) it slowed down right after with a couple of 33-34 second laps that then allowed the second group of runners to ease back into the thick of things. After hitting the 800 in 2:08, and realizing the drop in pace, the group sped back up with a 61 second next 400, and coming through in 3:09 it seemed like we got ourselves back ion track and he was running real strong. At the bell, we had fallen off the leader - Suny Geneseo - but were looking well poised in 2nd but the drastic drop in pace from the 800 to the final lap started to take its toll, and as they say, the wheels came a tumbling off in the last 100m and actually fell about 10m from the line. After getting back up, frustration got the best of him and there may have been a baton thrown down in dismay which resulted in a DQ rather than about a 10:08 finish time. The next race n tap would be the mile, and another quality field was assembled with hopes for an NCAA berth, and Steven Lucey looked poised to take a run for it but after being on pace through the 800, things took a different turn and was not able to finish it off as was hoped for. Next on tap was the 800, and Chris Butko, running in the 2nd section took the race out in the first lap, then slid off the lead as they hit 1:26 for the 600 and came charging off the turn to take the heat win in a 1:56.02 - another great race for the sophomore who missed the entire month of January and first week of February with illness. Jesse would take control of the final section of the 800 and run another sub-1:58 clocking to win his section. The final event for us, and another race with NCAA implications, was the 3000 - where Mohamed Hussein and Dan Crowley would both be trying to post fast times in a super loaded field. Mo quickly established himself right near the front while Dan was a few guys behind him, and after hitting the opening mile in 4:27 and 4:30, things would separate a little bit more as Mo was clearly ready for the challenge while Dan's hamstring injury from the past couple of weeks may have shook his confidence a little bit, and while he was digging deep, the well was not quite as deep as he needed. Just after the 2k mark and running in 2nd place, the pace started to lag for 2 laps and as they approached 3 laps to go - and the lead pack of 4 that had opened up a pretty good gap was being stalked by the chase pack - Mo made a big move to go to the front, and started to wind the pace down again. In the last 100, a runner from Trinity went by and opened up just enough day light to grab the win but coming home in 2nd, Mo ran to a new PR time of 8:19.85 that would prove to be more than enough to advance to NCAA's while Dan would finish in 11th in a time of 8:36. When the dust had settled after the weekend, Mo would earn a bid to NCAA's being held at Grinnell College in Iowa, where he will run the 5k (14th seed) on Friday and the 3k (8th seed) on Saturday to close out the 2016 Indoor season.