2013 NEICAAA New England Championships

At Boston University, February 22-23

Team results - 23rd with 6 points


Full Results


Amherst Results

800 Matt Melton 3
3000 Andrew Erskine 10
1000 Romey Sklar 11
3000 Charlie Reighard 12
500 Judd Liebman 13
Mile Patrick Grimes 13
500 Nick Codola 17
Mile Greg Turissini 17
3000 Dan Crowley 18
3000 Dillon Buckley 22
5000 KC Fussell 28
4x400 Liebman 50.8 21
Codola 50.1
Melton 47.8
Grimes 52.7
4x800 Sklar 1:56.3 14
Woop 1:59.1
Crowley 1:59.7
Turissini 1:56.1



Meet Recap:

Performers of the Meet - Matt Melton

The men headed back to Boston for the NEICAAA New England Championships held at the fast track of Boston University, and the guys made sure that the track lived up to its billing. Despite having raced on Sunday, they came back strong this weekend and posted some great times that lowered PR's and extended seasons. In fact, of 12 individual races - 13 counting Melton's semifinal heat in which he PR'd with 1:51.97 - 10 races produced PR's and one missed it by .16 seconds, and also saw some great relay legs that were some of the fastest that the guys had run. The Sunday to Friday turn around proved to be too much for the 5k, which got the weekend started, as Fuss would be amongst the leaders for the first half before coming in at 15:33 but after that, things picked up quickly and stayed hot through the rest of the weekend. Nick Codola and Judd Liebman raced in the 500, and both would run great times - Nick running 1:06.65 (huge PR) and then in the very next section, Judd would get to the line a little quicker, as he sped to a 1:06.46 - both marks earning them another weekend of competition. Next up was Matt Melton in the 1st section of the 800 and this would prove to be a slow, and physical race as the pace dawdled and Matt was in the middle of traffic, trying to look for room for the majority of the race - going through the 400 in 56.2 and the 600 in 1:24.2 before finding some daylight and torching the field in the last 200, running a new PR of 1:51.97 to win his section. Now skip to Saturday's final, and the race was eerily similar to the night before, as the splits were identical, and while throwing down a big finish again, he came up just short of a pair of UConn runners but in grabbing 3rd, lowered his PR to a 1:51.94 and finishing well ahead of the DIII runners in the field. Back to Friday, Romey Sklar finished the night off in the 1000m, and taking the race out hard, he went through the 400 in 58 seconds, came through the 800 at about 2:00 and his patented last lap finish brought him home under 2:30 - over a 5 second PR - in 2:29.85 just missing making the finals by .2 seconds. Now, jump back to Saturday and the final day of competition. The milers would get the day started, and Greg Turissini, stepping down in distance to test the legs, was in great in position at the 800 in 2:08 before taking the led and pushing the pace for the rest of the race and finishing in a 4:13 and grabbing 2nd in his section, and a huge PR. Grimey would be next up, and like Greg - got through the 800 in great position in 2:06 and then took the lead to make sure it did not ease up and he maintained the lead through until about the last 100, finishing in 4:10.26 - just off his PR of 4:10.10 - and continuing to round into form after a mid-season illness that knocked training back a few notches. The unseeded 3k would be the next event on the track, and PR was the word again for Charlie, Dan and Dillon as the pace was relatively even for the first 10 laps before it started to get cranked up. Charlie had moved into perfect position near the shoulders of the leaders at this point while Dillon was in the middle of the pack and Dan near Dillon but having spent all of the race in lane 2 and sometimes even lane 3. At the bell lap, Charlie struck and opened up a lead he would not relinquish as he won the heat in an 8:36 while Dan moved up well to run 8:41 and Dillon would also knock a couple of seconds off of his PR from a week before finishing in 8:45. Andrew Erskine would compete in the seeded section of the 3000 later that afternoon, and went through the opening mile in 4:33 and would finish in 10th overall, lowering his PR to an 8:30.88 in the process. The 4x800 relay of Romey, Matt Woop and then Dan and Greg coming back from earlier races, put up a great fight and nearly broke 7:50 as Romey led off in a 1:56 leg, followed by 1:59 legs from Matt and Dan, and then Greg would bookend the relay with a 1:56 carry of his own. The 4x400 was the day's final event, and Judd got things started off with a 50.8 lead-off leg and was followed by a 50.4 carry by Nick, before Matt ripped his leg with a 47.8 carry to hand the baton to Grimes in the lead, and ultimately finish in 3:21 - their best time of the season.