Amherst Athletics  home


Amherst College > Athletics > Men's Lacrosse > Conn. College Holds Off Amherst Rally For 11-9 Win
Conn. College Holds Off Amherst Rally For 11-9 Win
April 26, 2001

AMHERST, Mass. - Another game, another heartbreaking loss for the Amherst College men's lacrosse team.

Down 10-4 in the fourth quarter, the Jeffs rallied with five unanswered goals over a 10-minute span to cut the lead to 10-9. However, Amherst could not get any closer as visiting Connecticut College won its eighth game of the season, 11-9. Senior attackman Rob Travieso (Baltimore, MD) scored three goals while adding two assists, and classmate Matt Rousseau (Groton, CT) chipped in four goals of his own for Conn.

The Camels opened the scoring six minutes into the game when senior midfielder Tim Boyd (New Canaan, CT) beat Jeff goaltender Corey Simonson (Brookline, MA). Less than three minutes later, Amherst struck back when sophomore midfielder Tucker Sowers (Ridgewood, NJ) fired a rocket from top right to beat Conn. netminder Tyler Volpe (Andover, MA) off-stick hip to tie the game. 18 seconds later, Boyd took the faceoff and found sophomore Kevin Burke (Beverly, MA) alone in front of the cage for an easy goal. But the Jeffs would not be denied, as senior midfielder Rob Gibson (South Salem, NY) won the ensuing faceoff and scored seven seconds later, and the quarter ended with the score knotted 2-2.

The second quarter began with the same back and forth action, though both teams missed several open shots in front of the cage. 4:28 into the quarter, Travieso fed Rousseau from behind the cage to put the Camels ahead 3-2. A minute later Jeff sophomore Matt Margolis (Short Hills, NJ) was called for slashing and the Camels converted the man-up opportunity when Burke picked up a loose ball and fired it to senior Kevin Bean (Havre de Grace, MD) who stuck it past Simonson for the 4-2 lead. Two minutes later first-year attackman Mike Allison (West Nyack, NY) fed senior Harlow Voorhees (Chevy Chase, MD) from behind the cage to draw Amherst to within one, 4-3. However, that would be the last Jeff goal for the next 18 minutes as Conn. went on a four-goal run. A sidearm rocket from Rousseau in a man-up situation beat Simonson over his right shoulder, followed by another goal from Travieso 26 seconds later to give the Camels a 6-3 lead. Conn. College would strike once more before the end of the period when Rousseau beat defender David Greig (Summit, NJ) on an isolation with 36 seconds remaining in the quarter. Conn. would have added another goal were it not for two point-blank saves by Simonson as the visitors went into the half with a 7-3 advantage.

The Camels capped the run at 8:43 of the third quarter as Boyd took an isolation around the cage to muscle the ball past Simonson and two defensemen to increase the lead to 8-3. Amherst stopped the bleeding four minutes later when senior Eric Edelson (Bethesda, MD) scooped up a ground ball from a pile and raced downfield to beat Volpe bottom right to bring the Jeffs to within four.

However, with 36 seconds remaining in the quarter, Jeff sophomore Chris Condlin (Baltimore, MD) hit a Camel player late out of bounds, and Amherst added a bench penalty when arguing the call to put the Jeffs down two men heading to the fourth quarter, which Conn. capitalized on 13 seconds into the quarter on Rousseau's fourth goal of the game to give the guests a 9-4 lead. The Camels added their fourth extra-man goal of the game 1:40 later on an unassisted goal from Travieso. Down but not out, Amherst battled back, and began its run when sophomore midfielder Chris Kane (Swampscott, MA) found Gene Nogi (Clarks Summit, PA) alone in front of the cage. 76 seconds later, Edelson fed Condlin in front of the cage to bring the score to 10-6. Less than four minutes later, Edelson and Condlin teamed up again on a sweet feed from behind the cage to cut the lead to three. At the 5:28 mark, Margolis ran an isolation and fired a lefty shot over Volpe's shoulder to bring the game to within two. With the momentum shifting, Nogi picked up a ground ball with 3:47 remaining and beat Volpe to make the score 10-9. At the 2:38 mark, Allison dodged three Camel defenders but shot the ball into Volpe's stick, which was ultimately Amherst's last shot of the game. A Conn. turnover with 1:28 to go gave the Jeffs the ball back, and after two time-outs, Amherst attempted to tie the game. However, Gibson's pass to Margolis sailed over his head and across the midfield line and into a Camel longstick. Despite a swarming defense, the Jeffs could not strip the ball from the visitors, and Travieso provided the final margin with a goal 17 seconds left to dash Amherst's hopes of a comeback. Simonson finished with 11 saves for the hosts, while Volpe made six key stops for Conn.

The loss was the fifth straight for the Jeffs as Amherst falls to 5-6 on the season and 2-6 in the NESCAC, while the Camels improve to 8-4, 5-3 in the league. The Jeffs must now regroup before Saturday's matchup at archrival Williams, while Conn. winds up their regular season at home versus Tufts.
Thursday, April 26, 2001     1     2     3     4   --   F
Amherst (5-5/2-5)   2     1     1     5   --   9
Conn. (8-4/5-3)   2     5     1     3   --   11

AC - Condlin 2, Nogi 2, Edelson, Gibson, Margolis, Sowers, Voorhees
CC - Rousseau 4, Travieso 3, Boyd 2, Bean, Burke

CC - Edelson 2, Allison, Kane
BC - Burke 2, Travieso 2, Bean

AC - Corey Simonson 11 saves (11 ga, 60:00)
CC - Tyler Volpe 6 saves (9 ga, 60:00)

Shots: AC 30, CC 32;
Ground Balls: AC 32, CC 26;
EMO: AC 1/6 CC 4/8
Faceoffs: AC 13/21 CC: 8/21