Junior Jeff Wan earned the lone Amherst singles victory
Jeffs End Season with 5-2 Loss to Middlebury in Regional Finals
From a Middlebury Release
May 6, 2007
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The Middlebury College men’s tennis team will make its fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals after defeating Amherst 5-2 in an NCAA Regional Final. The Lord Jeffs end their season at 14-6, while the Panthers will take part in the championship week from May 15-20 at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center in Louis, in an event hosted by Washington University.
Middlebury led 1-0 in double play as Kevin Bergesen and Andrew Thomson were 8-2 winners over juniors Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX) and Jeffrey Wan (Staten Island, NY). The Jeffs tied the match when sophomore Zach Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) and junior Tal Avarhami (Riverdale, NY) defeated Alex Scott and George Mayer by a score of 8-5. Middlebury took a 2-1 lead into singles play as Filip Marinkovic and Conrad Olson defeated senior Karti Subramanian (Bethesda, MD) and junior Michael Mintz (New York, NY), 8-4.
The Panthers extended their lead as Marinkovic cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win over first-year Daniel Kim (Springfield, MO) in the #6 singles slot. Wan brought the Jeffs back as he defeated Bergesen 6-2, 6-1 in the #4 slot to make it a 3-2 contest.
That would be Amherst’s only win in singles play as Thomson and Mayer wrapped up their matches to clinch the 5-2 victory. Thomson defeated Subramanian 6-2, 6-2 at #5, while Mayer was a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Schwartz at #3.
Amherst College @ Middlebury College – May 6, 2007 – NCAA Round 3
1. Lerner/Avarhami (A) def. Scott/Mayer (M) 8-5
2. Bergesen/Thomson (M) def. Schwartz/Wan (A) 8-2
3. Marinkovic/Olson (M) def. Subramanian/Mintz (A) 8-4
1. Alex Scott (M) vs. Zach Lerner (A) : 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (DNF)
2. Conrad Olson (M) vs. Michael Mintz (A) : 6-3, 4-1 (DNF)
3. George Mayer (M) def. Geoff Schwartz (A) : 6-4, 6-2
4. Jeffrey Wan (A) def. Kevin Bergesen (M) : 6-2, 6-1
5. Andrew Thomson (M) def. Karti Subramanian (A) : 6-2, 6-2
6. Filip Marinkovic (M) def. Daniel Kim (A) : 6-0, 6-2