First-year Dan Kim sealed the deal for Amherst with a 6-4, 6-0 win in the #6 singles match
Jeffs to Face Regional Host Middlebury in Third Round of NCAA Tournament
From a Middlebury Release
May 5, 2007
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The Amherst College men’s tennis team advanced to the regional final of the NCAA Division III Men’s Tennis Tournament with a 5-4 win over Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Middlebury College. The Jeffs will take on regional host Middlebury Sunday at noon with a trip to the National Quarterfinals on the line.
The doubles matches were tight, with Amherst coming away with three hard-fought victories for a 3-0 advantage. Junior Jeffrey Wan (Staten Island, NY) gave the Jeffs a 4-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win at #4 singles over Peden Nichols. First-year Daniel Kim (Springfield, MO) defeated Said Francis 6-4, 6-0 in the #6 slot to clinch the 5-0 win. Though close, the Jeffs had also won the first set of the remaining four singles matches.
Amherst College vs. MIT – May 5, 2007 at Middlebury College – NCAA Round 2
1. Lerner/Avarhami (A) def. Dohlman/Beren (M) 8-6
2. Schwartz/Wan (A) def. Egan/Nichols (M) 8-4
3. Subramanian/Mintz (A) def. Francis/Makhni (M) 9-8 (11-9)
1. Zach Lerner (A) vs. Tom Dohlman (M) : 7-6 (5) (DNF)
2. Michael Mintz (A) vs. Eric Beren (M) : 6-4, 4-1 (DNF)
3. Geoff Schwartz (A) vs. Mark Egan (M) : 7-5, 5-3 (DNF)
4. Jeffrey Wan (A) def. Peden Nichols (M) : 6-2, 6-1
5. Karti Subramanian (A) vs. Melvin Makhni (M) : 6-3, 4-3 (DNF)
6. Daniel Kim (A) def. Said Francis (M) : 6-4, 6-0