Mike Mintz '08 won his singles match in straight sets
Jeffs Cruise Past Tufts to Close Out Regular Season
From a Tufts University Release
April 22, 2007
MEDFORD, MA – The 15th-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team closed its regular season in impressive fashion on Sunday with a 9-0 victory at No. 17 Tufts University. The victory lifted the Jeffs to 12-4 overall, while Tufts fell to 7-5. The Jeffs will play host next weekend in the NESCAC Tournament.
In doubles play, the #1 match featured an Amherst duo ranked fifth in the Northeast and a Jumbo pair that is seventh-ranked. Junior Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY) and sophomore Zach Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) played to an 8-4 win for the Jeffs against Sean McCooey (Cumberland, RI) and Geoff Loh (Deerfield, IL). Visiting Amherst also scored an 8-4 win on the second doubles court, with juniors Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX) and Jeff Wan (Staten Island, NY) combining for the victory. The Jumbo third doubles pair of Corey Keller (Jericho, VT) and Jon Trott (Milton, MA), which was undefeated (5-0) entering the weekend, took its second straight loss, 8-5, to Jeffs’ Karti Subramanian (Bethesda, MD) and Mike Mintz (New York, NY).
Lerner, ranked fifth in the Northeast and coming off a win against Northeast #1 Adam Scott of Middlebury on Saturday, defeated #6 in the region Will Fleder (New York, NY) 6-2 and 7-5 on the first singles
court. The Jumbos twice extended their opponents to three sets before losing. At #3, McCooey dropped the first set 6-1, won the second set 6-1, but lost the match to Schwartz 6-1 in the third. Senior Craig
Kunkes (Atlanta, GA) also won his middle set at #6, 6-2, but lost the match against Daniel Kim.
Mintz at #2, Wan at #4 and Subramanian at #5 won their singles matches in straight sets for the winners.
#15 Amherst College vs. #17 Tufts University – Sunday, April 22 – Amherst 9, Tufts 0
1) Tal Avrahami/Zack Lerner (A) def. Sean McCooey/Geoff Loh (T) : 8-4
2) Geoffrey Schwartz/Jeffrey Wan (A) def. Matt Gallin/William Fleder (T) : 8-4
3) Karti Subramanian/Michael Mintz (A) def. Corey Keller/Jon Trott (T) : 8-5
1) Lerner (A) def. Fleder (T) : 6-2, 7-5
2) Mintz (A) def. Keller (T) : 6-3, 6-2
3) Schwartz (A) def. McCooey (T) : 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
4) Wan (A) def. Gallin (T) : 6-3, 6-0
5) Subramanian (A) def. Andrew Rosen (T) 7-5, 6-3
6) Daniel Kim (A) def. Craig Kunkes (T) : 6-3, 2-6, 6-0