Senior co-captain Josh Rilla posted a straight-sets singles victory on Tuesday.
Jeffs Blank Brandeis, 7-0
September 28, 2005
WALTHAM, MA - The Amherst College men's tennis team swept all six singles matches and won two of three doubles tilts to blank host Brandeis University on Tuesday afternoon.
Amherst seniors Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) and Scott Bronner (Chicago, IL), junior Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) and sophomore Sam Maurey (Cape Elizabeth, ME) won in straight sets, while junior Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX) clinched a victory in three, 6-2, 5-7, 6-4. Sophomore Austin Moller (Manhattan Beach, CA) battled back from a 6-4 loss in the opening set of the No. 4 singles match to post a 4-6, 7-5, 10-4 victory.
In doubles play, Rilla and classmate Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) won 8-1 at No. 1, while sophomore Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY) teamed with classmate Jeff Wan (Staten Island, NY) to win the No. 3 tilt, 8-3. Senior Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ontario) and sophomore Mike Mintz (New York, NY) were edged, 9-8, at No. 2.
Amherst returns to action Friday afternoon at the Wilson/ITA New England Tennis Championships, hosted by Williams College.
Amherst 7 - Brandeis 0
1. Josh Rilla (Amh.) def. Mike Vulfovich (6-3, 6-0)
2. Lenny Lepner (Amh.) def. Rob Friedman (6-2, 6-1)
3. Geoff Schwartz (Amh.) def. Scott Schulman (6-2, 5-7, 6-4)
4. Austin Moller (Amh.) def. Adam Sher (4-6, 7-5, 10-4)
5. Scott Bronner (Amh.) def. Hart Comess-Daniels (7-6 (7-4), 6-2)
6. Sam Maurey (Amh.) def. Derek Tesser (6-3, 6-1)
1. Rilla/Danny Babkes (Amh.) def. Vulfovich/Schulman (8-1)
2. Comess-Daniels/Friedman (Bran.) def. Jon Godsall/Mike Mintz (9-8 (11-9))
3. Tal Avrahami/Jeff Wan (Amh.) def. Sher/Chris Hersel (8-3)