Jeffs Advance To NCAA Regional Final
May 6, 2006
MIDDLEBURY, VT – With a 4-1 win over MIT on Saturday afternoon, the 22nd-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team advanced to face Middlebury College in the NCAA Regional Final for the second consecutive year. The squads will face-off for the third time in two weeks, tomorrow at noon on the Panthers’ home court. Middlebury has won both previous matches, getting a 7-0 regular season victory on April 22 and then edging the Jeffs, 4-3, a week later in the NESCAC Semifinals.
Amherst easily took the doubles point from MIT on Saturday, but the Engineers tied it up with a 6-2, 6-0 win by Evan Tindell over Jeff senior co-captain Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA). Fellow seniors Lenny Lepner (Tartu, Estonia) and Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) and sophomore Michael Mintz (New York, NY) got wins at Nos. 2, 3 and 4 singles to secure the win for Amherst. Rookie Zach Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) and senior Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ontario) were both leading when the match was called.
1. Evan Tindell (MIT) def. Josh Rilla (6-2, 6-0)
2. Lenny Lepner (A) def. Thomas Dohlman (7-6 (9), 6-3)
3. Danny Babkes (A) def. Eric Beren (6-4, 6-4)
4. Michael Mintz (A) def. Mark Egan (6-2, 6-4)
5. Zack Lerner (A) vs. Peden Nichols (6-1, 0-2, DNF)
6. Jon Godsall (A) vs. Melvin Makhni (3-2, DNF)
1. Josh Rilla/Danny Babkes (Amherst) vs. Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (7-7, DNF)
2. Michael Mintz/ Lenny Lepner (Amherst) def. Mark Egan/Eric Beren (8-6)
3. Tal Avrahami/Zach Lerner (Amherst) def. Melvin Makhni/Peden Nichols (9-7)