Sophomore Jeffrey Wan (shown) teamed with classmate Tal Avrahami for an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles.
14th-Ranked Jeffs Blanked at No. 1 UC Santa Cruz
March 18, 2006
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The 14th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team opened its spring slate with a 7-0 shutout loss at top-ranked University of California at Santa Cruz on Saturday. Sophomores Jeffrey Wan (Staten Island, NY) and Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY) earned the lone win of the day, posting an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles, but it wasn’t enough to earn the point as the Jeffs fell to 3-1 in match play on the year.
Sophomore Mike Mintz (New York, NY) was the lone singles player to win a set for the Jeffs, battling back from a 6-0 loss in the first frame to post a 6-1 decision in the second before bowing in the third 6-2.
Amherst returns to action Tuesday at Chapman University and Cal. Polytechnic.
UC Santa Cruz 7 – Amherst 0
1. Matt Seeberger (UCSC) def. Lenny Lepner (6-1, 6-4)
2. Shane Templeman (UCSC) def. Josh Rilla (6-4, 6-0)
3. Jared Kamel (UCSC) def. Danny Babkes (6-2, 6-2)
4. Colin Mark-Griffin (UCSC) def. Mike Mintz (6-0, 1-6, 6-2)
5. Donny Divanian (UCSC) def. Jon Godsall (6-4, 7-5)
6. Alex Villalobos (UCSC) def. Zach Lerner (6-0, 6-4)
1. Seeberger/Templeman (UCSC) def. Lepner/Rilla (8-0)
2. Jeffrey Wan/Tal Avrahami (Amh.) def. Gendelman/Ortiz (8-6)
3. Villalobos/Kamel (UCSC) def. Babkes/Lerner (8-2)