Opponent Set For Saturday Night; Jeffs to Host Springfield in NCAA Tournament Second Round
March 4, 2005
AMHERST, MA - The second-ranked Amherst College men’s basketball team will host Springfield College in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championship Tournament Saturday night at 7:00. The Jeffs (25-1) - who have never lost an NCAA Tournament game at LeFrak Gymnasium (6-0) - drew one of 16 first-round byes, while Springfield (22-6) advanced to the second round with Thursday night’s 72-63 home win over Norwich University.
Ticket prices are $4 for adults and $3 for children, senior citizens and students with valid ID. Children under 2 are free. Doors at LeFrak Gymnasium will open at 5:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast locally, and live on the Internet, by Amherst’s campus radio station, WAMH (89.3 FM).
Saturday night’s winner will advance to the NCAA Sectionals (Round of 16) and face either the University of Rochester (21-4), which drew a first-round bye, or Union College (17-12), which upset first-round host Gwynedd-Mercy College, 84-70, on Thursday. Sectional play will take place on Friday and Saturday, March 11-12, at an on-campus site to be determined. For a complete tournament bracket and updated scores, visit www.ncaachampionships.com or www.D3hoops.com.
FULL BRACKET (in PDF format)
AMHERST IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT: Eighth appearance / 11-8 all-time (6-0 home, 5-8 road)
- 1993-94 (Qualified for the NCAA Tournament in its first year of eligibility… drew first-round bye… won at Colby in second round… beat the No. 1 team in the nation, Franklin & Marshall College, which entered the game with only one loss, in the Round of 16… Fell to eventual national champion Lebanon Valley in the national quarterfinals)
- 1996-97 (Beat visiting Colby, 83-60, in first round… fell at Williams, 86-63, in second round)
- 1999-00 (Beat visiting WNEC, 79-77, in first round… fell at Salem State, 81-75, in second round)
- 2000-01 (Beat visiting St. John Fisher, 89-76, in first round… fell at Clark, 89-76, in second round)
- 2001-02 (First-round bye… beat visiting Western Connecticut State, 82-77, in second round… fell at SUNY Brockport, 69-64, in Round of 16)
- 2002-03 (First-round bye… beat visiting Southern Vermont, 84-60, in second round… beat Rochester, 74-68, in Round of 16… fell at Sectional host Williams, 91-75, in National Quarterfinals)
- 2003-04 (First-round bye… beat visiting Plymouth State, 113-85, in second round… beat New Jersey City, 92-74, in Round of 16… beat Sectional host Franklin & Marshall, 82-70, in National Quarterfinals… fell to Williams, 86-81, in National Semifinals… fell to John Carroll, 96-85, in Championship consolation)
- 2004-05 (First-round bye… will host Springfield in second round…)