First-year Jeff Lawrence posted both a singles and doubles win on Sunday.
Jeffs Topple NYU, 6-1
April 11, 2004
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College menís tennis team toppled visiting New York University (NYU) 6-1 on Sunday, rebounding from Saturdayís 6-1 loss at Little Three archrival Williams College. The Jeffs improved to 6-4 with the victory and have now won four of their five matches.
Sophomore Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) led the Jeffs in singles play, defeating NYU No. 1 Mike Thompson, 6-2, 6-1. Joining Rilla with singles victories were fellow sophomores Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) and Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ontario), junior Max Rettig (Rockford, IL) and first-year Jeff Lawrence (Irvine, CA). Amherst swept the doubles competition as Babkes and Rilla, and Godsall and Lawrence won their respective matches 8-1 and 8-2, while sophomore Scott Bronner (Chicago, IL) and junior Arpan Podduturi (Bellevue, WA) posted an 8-2 victory as well.
Amherst returns to action Tuesday at 3 p.m. at Trinity College.
Sunday, April 11, 2004 - Amherst College - Amherst, MA
AMHERST 6 - NYU 1
1. Josh Rilla (A) def. Mike Thompson (6-2, 6-1)
2. Danny Babkes (A) def. Rich Salem (6-3, 6-0)
3. Jeff Lawrence (A) def. Ian Corn (6-2, 7-5)
4. Max Rettig (A) def. Nico Buencumino (6-1, 6-0)
5. Kolby Loft (NYU) def. Rob Feeley (2-6, 6-3, 10-2)
6. Jon Godsall (A) def. Chris Chang (6-3, 6-4)
1. Babkes/Rilla (A) def Salem/Buencumino (8-1)
2. Godsall/Lawrence (A) def Thompson/Corn (8-2)
3. Scott Bronner/Arpan Podduturi (A) def Josh Beirne Golden/Shrami Jindal (8-2)