Senior co-captain Rob Feeley posted a 6-3, 6-0 singles victory on Thursday.
Jeffs Earn First Spring Victory, Sweep Conn. College, 7-0
April 1, 2004
AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College menís tennis team earned its first victory of the spring on Thursday, sweeping visiting Connecticut College, 7-0. The Jeffs won every set in the win and earned their first doubles point of the spring as well, improving to 3-3 on the year, while Conn. fell to 0-6.
Amherst sophomore No. 1 singles player Josh Rilla (Westboro, MA) made short work of Conn. College sophomore Pat Jones, 6-2, 6-0, and later teamed with classmate Danny Babkes (Baltimore, MD) for an 8-4 doubles win over Jones and junior Nick Raffel. First-year Jeff Lawrence (Irvine, CA) and sophomore Jon Godsall (Toronto, Ontario) were also impressive for the Jeffs, dominating both of their respective singles matches and earning an 8-3 victory in the No. 2 doubles match over Camel first-years Ned Minevitz and Jeff Bender. Amherst sophomore Scott Bronner (Chicago, IL) and first-year Karti Subramanian (Washington, DC) completed the trio of doubles victories with an 8-3 win in the No. 3 match. Co-captains Rob Feeley í04 (Chappaqua, NY) and Max Rettig í05 (Rockford, IL) wrapped up the sweep with 6-3, 6-0, and 6-2, 6-2, singles wins, respectively.
Amherst returns to action Saturday at 3 p.m. against visiting Little Three rival Wesleyan University.
Thursday, April 1, 2004 - Amherst College - Amherst, MA
AMHERST 7 - CONN. COLLEGE 0
1) Josh Rilla (Amh.) def. Pat Jones (6-2, 6-0)
2) Danny Babkes (Amh.) def. Nick Raffel (6-0, 6-4)
3) Max Rettig (Amh.) def. Jeff Bender (6-2, 6-2)
4) Jeff Lawrence (Amh.) def. Ned Minevitz (6-1, 6-3)
5) Rob Feeley (Amh.) def. Jake Whyman (6-3, 6-0)
6) Jon Godsall (Amh.) def. Eli Brill (6-1, 6-1)
1) Babkes/Rilla (Amh.) def. Jones/Raffel (8-4)
2) Godsall/Lawrence (Amh.) def. Minevitz/Bender (8-3)
3) Scott Bronner/Karti Subramanian (Amh.) def. Eddmer/Brill (8-3)