AMHERST, Massachusetts -- Bill Stebbins (Scituate, MA) sealed a 4-2 team victory for Williams College as the top-seeded Ephs defeated host Amherst College and prepare to host the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis National Championship next weekend in Williamstown, Massachusetts. This is the second time these teams have met this season, and Williams has claimed a pair of wins over the Jeffs among the Ephs' perfect 14-0 record.
This is the third appearance in the NCAA Tournament for Williams after finishing third in the nation in 1997. Amherst finished the 1998 season with a 12-5 record overall and in the Jeffs' fourth NCAA showing.
NCAA East Regional Championship Sunday, May 10, 1998 at Bay Road Tennis Club, Amherst, Massachusetts Williams (14-0) 4 Amherst (12-5) 2Doubles (point to Williams)
1. W Andrew Fagenholz d. A Harlan Stock, 6-4, 6-2.
2. W James Frank d. A Ryan Cole, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (1).
3. A Adam Wolf d. W Sherman Lim, 7-6 (0), 7-5.
4. A Reeve Segal d. W Eric Hasenauer, 6-4, 6-4.
5. W Bill Stebbins d. A Noah Lippe-Klein, 6-3, 6-4.
6. A Scott Chase v. W Scott Zinober, DNF.
# # # 5/10/98