Men's Soccer Crushes Tufts
Mike Grant '99 Tallies Two as the Jeffs
Roll in the Season Finale
- AMHERST, Massachusetts -- The Amherst College men's soccer team ended
their regular season with one of their best all-around performances of
the fall Saturday morning, running past the Jumbos of Tufts University
- Jeff senior Mike Grant (Mendon, MA) opened the scoring Saturday with
his second goal of the year with just over three minutes remaining in the
opening half. The Jumbos came right back, however, and Tufts senior back
Alberto Russo (Revere, MA) tied the game up at one with just 44 seconds
remaining in the opening half.
- The second half would belong to the host Jeffs, however. Grant gave
the Jeffs the lead for good with his second goal of the game five minutes
in, while junior forward Andy Kay (North Easton, MA) added his team-leading
11th goal of the season, and sophomore forward Dan Breeker (Newtown Square,
PA) closed the scoring with his first collegiate goal.
- With the win, the Jeffs (12-2) set an all-time Amherst regular season
win record, and solidified a return trip to the NCAA Tournament. Tufts
falls to 6-6-1 heading into next Saturday's season finale at Middlebury.
- (A) Mike Grant (unassisted) 41:46
- (T) Alberto Russo (unassisted) 44:16
- (A) Mike Grant (Ben Haley) 51:00
- (A) Andy Kay (Matt Diggs) 65:00
- (A) Dan Breeker (Gary Kegal) 77:00