AAS SENATE MEETING

Monday, May 3, 2004

 

I. Attendance

SENIOR SENATORS

1

Elan Ghazal

x

Steve Hollister

x

Esther Lim

E

Gabriel Mattera

E

Arpan Podduturi

x

Daniel Reiss

x

Christian Sanchez

x

Justin Sharaf

x

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

Rania Arja

x

Rob Cobbs

x

Viet Do

x

Techo Kim

x

John Lian

x

Stephen Scriber

x

Mira Serril-Robins

x

Mike Simmons

x

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

Richa Bhala

x

Boris Bulayev

x

Avi Das

x

Will Havemann

x

Noah Isserman

x

Marco LoCascio

U

Anoop Menon

x

Jacob Thomas

x

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 

Ryan Park

x

David Scherr

x

Ian Shin

x

Ryan Smith

x

Roslynn Graves

x

 

II. Call to Order (8:35 PM)

 

III. Librarian Search Committee (8:35 PM)

Mira: This is Sherry Herrington, one of our librarian candidates. She is currently at Vanderbilt University.

Sherry: When people were telling me about this meeting I though there would only be about three students or so, but I am pleasantly surprised. It is really great that you are willing to have me come and talk to you about this stuff. I will just tell you a little about myself and about what we do at Vanderbilt. I am from South Carolina. I have been in Nashville since 1986. Vanderbilt has about 9000 students total. When I started out there, I was at the central library and I spent about 10 years there. In 1998, the University Librarian asked me to be the Director of the Science and Engineering Library. I wasn’t too excited about it since I am an English major but I do enjoy it because we have been able to do a lot of things. One of the things that we did in the spring of the year before last is a survey called the Libqual. It is a scientifically structured survey program that asks people what is important to them, how well are we doing those things, and what would be their expectation of what a really good job would be. We paid a lot of attention particularly to what undergrads have said on the Libqual survey. One of the things we did in response to those surveys was to have one of the libraries on campus open 24 hours. We started that in spring 2003 and continued it in the following fall. This is our third semester of it. It has been interesting to see how people have responded to it. It has been kind of amazing because it is full at 4 AM and people bring sleeping bags and take a little nap in the interim. People have appreciated being able to go there at all hours. We have been really excited about having done that. We probably have less flexibility about what we let undergrads do there than what you do here. The grad students get a moderate level of privileges and the faculty members get the maximum privileges. One of the interesting things is to see the differences in how undergrads are thought of here. You are a lot more like grad students here. The other thing that has been helpful in terms of my thinking about the possibility of coming here is that my daughter is a senior at Oberlin. The atmosphere there is fairly similar to that of Amherst, even though it is Ohio and the size is different. It seems like it would be kind of fun to be at Amherst. I would be interested in hearing what kinds of things you want to ask me or what things you want different at the library or what you like and what is good here.

Dan: How many students are actually able to access the 24 hour library?

Sherry: 100 people. Usually on a normal night there are probably 40 people. The really solid time is between 1AM and 4 AM. There are plenty of people that are there every night, all night long. Would that be something that you think you would do if it was available?

Some say yes.

Ryan Smith: What if it was made available during high exam times only?

Sherry: When we decided we wanted to do this we talked to other places that do it. The library services would actually close at some point and we close our service desk at 2 AM. A security guard comes in at 1 AM and there is there until 7 AM. You can’t do service desk activities after 2 AM. It has been pretty inexpensive actually. It costs maybe $9000 a semester.

Roz: How many volumes are there?

Sherry: 3 million in all the libraries and in the Science and Engineering Library there is 1 million.

Mira: What do you see as the role of a library in an undergrad institution?

Sherry: It is a perfectly legitimate thing that a library provide a place for undergrads to study. We are also sort of your public library for entertainment sources. Libraries are also interested in what sort of services you might want to have and a library is a good sort of place for it to be there.

Mira: How would you expect the library to be involved in freshmen orientation?

Sherry: What we have started doing at Vanderbilt is making sure people know that you are there and when they need you, they come back. During freshmen orientation the library is the least thing you want to know about. What we do now is that we look at what the freshmen orientation schedule looks like and when there is a break we get our publishers/vendors give us stuff to give away and we give them food so that they can put a face to the library. We don’t really think that it is a productive time to teach you, at least at Vanderbilt. The thing we do is that we have this sort of summer period when parents can come in and they seem to be interested in that. We started having things specifically for them. The parents then take things back and supposedly give it to the kids. What is you own experience with orientation?

Elan: I don’t remember having any involvement during orientation. Just learning the ropes would be helpful.

Sherry: What is the best way to do that?

Elan: We have squads that come in, but I don’t really know what orientation is like now.

Sherry: We have “VUseptors” and they sort of guide the students. They control what they do with their groups during orientation period. I think the thing we have done more of is that we try to work with individual faculty members when they are conducting research projects.

Justin: I have only had one professor that has taken advantage of the library to show students how to do research.

Sherry: Well, we think it is important, but the question is do you think it is important?

Justin: Yes it was.

Sherry: On Blackboard there could be a link to the person in the library that works with that. It seems to me that could be emphasized a little more if people thought that would be useful.

Dan: It doesn’t seem like you would benefit from that more than once though.

Sherry: It kind of depends on what you are doing. One of the things we talked about is that the ways library organize information may not be the way you would think information is organized. If you were writing a history paper or a sociology paper, I would tell you to do completely different things. I think we really need to start thinking about organizing things in a way that lets you apply the same process throughout so that we are not mystifying it more than we need to.

Student: It seems like working at Frost would be different from working at the Science and Engineering Library.

Sherry: The staff here would be bigger. I think part of the challenge would be just that bigger organization. The other part of the challenge would be a different kind of responsibility. The librarian also has the responsibility of visualizing what the library is supposed to become. More than 70% of the people we work with are undergrads. One of the things I really miss from when I was at a larger library is how everything fits together. The most exciting thing is the possibility of having the opportunity to be the person responsible for helping the library grow within the whole institution.

Student 2: Do you have any dislikes or likes regarding how the space is served?

Sherry: I like to see a variety of spaces. There are a lot of people that like to be in a private corner and others want to be able to work in a group and collaborate. One of the things is when you go into Frost, it is not very open. You can’t really see who is there or what is going on. There are possibilities for making the space more open and seem more inviting. We were talking at dinner about the food and drink policy. Do we want to have policies that we can’t really enforce? A lot of people are more interested in having openness in more tangible ways and also a more spiritual kind of openness. I am pretty liberal about the food thing and I don’t really like a rule that I am not enforcing. The first thing we would want to do is ask you guys. Faculty members want library services but they aren’t really going to spend time there. We would want to find out what kinds of things you are interested in. One of the things we did at Vanderbilt is get Kleenex boxes since toilet paper on tables is my pet-peeve

Dave: Thank you very much for joining us.

Applause.

 

IV. Approval of the Minutes (9:06 PM)

Dan: Motion to approve the minutes.

Elan: Second.

Mira makes corrections.

Minutes are approved by unanimous consent.

 

V. Swearing in of the new members (9:08 PM)

I do solemnly swear of affirm that I will faithfully execute the office of __________ of the AAS and will to the best of my ability represent the student of the college by fulfilling my responsibilities as specified in the constitution. I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion and understand that I would be held accountable by my peers.

Elan swears in the Executive Branch.

Ryan Park swears in the JC members.

Ryan Smith swears in the senators.

 

VI. Officer Reports (9:13 PM)

A. President

Ryan Park: I just have two quick updates. The parking issue has sort of been resolved. The race to the 100 was disbanded. At this point President Marx is deciding whether to convert the upper tennis courts into a parking lot or the bird sanctuary into the parking lot. There is a petition in support of the upper tennis court option that the faculty is supporting. I got an email from Mr. Judeyki. Next year the server is going to be different; it is going to just be 4 digit dialing, but we will no longer have voicemail. Voicemail will be an additional cost of $5.

B. Vice President

Dave: As most of you know we do follow Robert’s Rules of Order here. I have a brief summary of them and it will give you some idea of what is going on. Second, we will have a senate retreat next fall and it will be on August 28th. It will start on Tuesday morning. We will do a lot more extensive Robert’s Rules training then. We will also be doing more introductions. Dean Haynes will give us an ethics lecture and hopefully that will help. We will also be doing some constitutional revisions during that time. I will be sending out emails over the summer to clarify these dates. You will be able to get into your rooms early.

Elan: Would you mind if I made a motion to charge our meals to the AAS account if we come early since Valentine isn’t open?

Dave: I will be open to that.

Elan: Motion to bill meals to the AAS administrative account.

Avi: What does the administrative account pay for?

Dave: Operating expenses, employees, etc.

Mira: Should we make a list?

Dave: We will do it over email over the summer.

John: Is the retreat mandatory?

Dave: Yes.

Dan: Second.

Motion to bill meals to the AAS account – MOTION PASSES.

 

VII. Announcements (9:21 PM)

Roz: I wanted to thank the AAS for their contribution to the Spring Formal.

Elan: The former president of Bolivia will not be able to make a speech here this semester so the money will go back to our funds.

Avi: Thanks to everyone who wore togas.

Christian: Last year’s Senate gave money to the Cuba Delegation and they promised to come back and give a presentation and we are having it tomorrow at 7:30 PM in Fayerweather 115

Mira: I’m not on SoCo but as far as I heard the carnival is gong to happen Thursday afternoon, 3 PM-7 PM. Program Board will be having movie night on Friday night.

Ian: I am Ian, and will be fumbling around with your money. Check requests are due this Thursday. Also, I will be having office hours this Wednesday night at 9 PM. If anyone has any questions about reallocation or check requests come then.

Noah: I just wanted to let Ryan know that we appreciate all of your hassling with the phone service thing

Mira: Next Tuesday night SPAB will be having a study break. There is going to be masseuses and probably make your own dog tags and food and all of that stuff. It will be at the campus center 8 PM-12 PM.

 

VIII. Special orders

A. Introductions

B. Committee Elections

Dave: I have a copy of how the committees work.

Dan: What is the result of this vote regarding the referendum?

Dave: Right now, we have to go by the constitution. It might be something that the JC has to decide. Right now we are going to have committee elections as usual.

Dan: Is there anything unconstitutional about everyone opting not to run and waiting until next semester?

Dave: The way this is going to work is that we will run down this list and we will have someone who has been on the committee give an explanation of what this committee is about.

Richa: Can we make a motion to have the JC amendments first so that we can do all of our stuff after?

Jake: Second.

Avi: Call the question.

Move the elections amendments up on the agenda – MOTION PASSES.

C. JC amendments

Ryan Smith:

D. Elections Schedule

2. Spring Elections: the Executive Branch and the Chair of the Judiciary Council shall be elected separately from all other positions on the first Tuesday of April. All campaigning and elections guidelines shall apply to all candidates but all Senate and Judicial Council positions shall be elected the third Tuesday of April.

4. February elections shall take place on the third Tuesday of February if there are vacant positions within the Senate, Executive Branch, or Judiciary Council.

Richa: Motion to pass.

Rania: Second.

Avi: Call the question.

Elan: Objection. Do you have 7 or 10 days to rule on an elections complaint?

Richa: We have to rule on the legitimacy of the complaint within 24 hours and there has to be a hearing within 7 days and that result also has to be within 72 hours of the hearing.

Elan: What timeline are you looking at for the reelection?

Ryan Smith: If there is a referendum it has to be 5 days before and the student body has to be informed 3 days before. The election has to occur before the final Senate meeting of the year. 4 days to hear the legitimacy, and if you have the reelection it is 5 days after those 4 days. That has to happen before the Senate meeting.

Elan: If you held the election once more, that would be within 7 days of the first election, and the results come in 48 hours after. If there is a run off then there are another 7 days. Wouldn’t you still be running into similar problems?

Dave: The JC is going to just have to act quickly in these sort of situations.

Richa: Call the question.

Pass amendments – MOTION PASSES.

Ryan Smith:

I. Elections

e. Write in candidates must garner support from at least 5% of the votes in order to be elected.

Jake: Motion to approve.

Richa: Second.

Justin: It should be “write in candidates must be on the ballot of 5% of the people voting”. If you look at the election results online, the people who were listed on 100 ballots, were listed as 12% of the vote.

Ryan Park: “write in candidates must garner 5% of the voters”?

Elan: Add a comma and say “excluding abstentions”.

Justin: What about “write ins must be listed on 5% of the total voters?

Elan: In every election you have people that aren’t going to vote at all. I want it to be 5% of the voters that vote for the person instead of abstentions.

Justin: Second.

Rob: Isn’t the purpose of abstention that you voted but that you didn’t want to vote for the people running for that position?

Jake: this amendment is not a good idea for that reason. If 90% of the people say that this person is not good for that position.

Elan: The thing is with the write in campaigns is that you aren’t going to be able to access the same people as those that are on the ballot. In the Senate we don’t count abstentions as part of the vote. The same principle should apply to write in candidates. I wouldn’t say that abstentions are always a statement that no one is qualified. It may be that the people just don’t know enough about the position. I don’t think an abstention is meant to be a negative vote

Avi: Call the question.

Amendment, comma “excluding abstentions” – MOTION FAILS.

Rania: Call the question.

Voting on the regular amendment – MOTION PASSES.

Elan: You could leave an executive position open because it wasn’t filled during elections.

D. Committee elections (moving back)

1. Judiciary Council

Ryan Smith: A senator who sits on the JC is full JC member. They act as a branch from the Senate to the JC. It isn’t mandated in the constitution that the other JC members be at the Senate meeting. If you sit on this committee you can’t sit on any other committee. Full members have to explain what is going on in the Senate to the JC

Nominations: Jake and Will

Jake and Will are appointed by unanimous consent.

2. Budgetary Committee

Ian: You will have a weekly meeting of 1 to 2 hours, you will be required to meet with clubs during budget time and will have office hours. It is a hefty time commitment but we will make it fun.

Nominations: Rania, Anoop, Mike, Stephen, Mira, Steve, Techo, Avi.

Mira: People can step down later.

All are appointed by unanimous consent.

3. Elections Committee

Roz: There is a chair who will announce all of the elections to the Senate and the committee will put up table tents. Committee members monitor the computers at Valentine.

Nominations: Elan, Will, Richa, Viet, Arpan

All are appointed by unanimous consent.

4. Dining Services committee

Avi: We try to reform valentine. It meets monthly on average. We are now trying to get food on the meal plan after 7:30 PM.

Nominations: Avi, Marco, Techo, Noah.

All are appointed by unanimous consent.

Nominations: Anoop and Boris.

Boris: I talked to President Marx about it. I think any type of food left over should be available in bags.

Anoop: One thing the students really want is to have food after Valentine hours. We could try to employ the students from Schwemms in Valentine.

Boris is appointed.

5. College Council

Ryan Park: The College Council is basically an all encompassing group that is led unofficially by Dean Lieber. We deal with social issues at the college. We have dealt with theme housing and academic dishonesty the past two years. It has one member from each class.

Nominations: Mike, Noah, Gabriel, Ester, Elan, John, Richa, Boris.

Richa: I want to be on the college council because I worked with the JC with all of the activities and I am pretty sure I know a lot about the campus. I want to work more directly with the college policies. There are several issues I think we should work on. I think I would be a good representative for the 2007 beliefs.

Boris: I know I don’t have much experience with the Senate but I do feel like I have a good relationship with the student body. I would like to expand community outreach, improve valentine, and interterm.

Noah: I have taken a big interest in how policies are done here. I sent a lot of emails this year to the College Council with various constituents’ views.

2007: Noah is appointed.

John: This past year I was a member of the College Council and one of the most important things we did was the honor code. The honor code is very important to me. I want to be on it this year mainly because I want to continue the work we have put into it. Also, as the only one of the candidates running as someone who has sat on it previously, I can bring experience to the table. I have developed a good working relationship with the deans.

Mike: This is my first time being a part of the AAS. I do know what students need though. While I don’t have that experience, Iam very committed and focused and serving on the College Council would give me the opportunity to show that commitment to service.

2006: Mike is appointed.

Elan: I sat on the College Council my sophomore year. It is involved in a lot of areas on campus. I would like to discuss hard alcohol policy in dorms. I want to try to work with SoCo to have a 21+ room so that more people will go to TAP. I thought that would help bring the college together. Another thing would be theme housing. I currently live in the Asian Culture House. I think there are still some changes that need to be put in place. A lot of the changes from the year I was on the College Council didn’t go into effect. Right now, besides TYPO, there is not a whole lot of social interaction between faculty and students. I want to get more professors involved in going to Valentine and also going to community teas. Interterm is another thing. We have a serious deficit in terms of interterm programming. There used to be a fund where students could apply to get funding for programs. I would like to see more faculty members involved in interterm. Another thing is reporting back to the AAS and the student body at large about what has happened. The members of the College Council should report back to the student body. The College Council can be a pretty slow moving student body. Dean Lieber kind of likes the status quo and so you have to get motivated students. I would rather be the more active student.

Christian: Speaking for Gabe. Gabe is a cool guy. He is at Oxford right now.

Reads speech sent by Gabe.

Ryan Park: Speaking for Ester. Ester is very responsible and she is also at Oxford right now.

2005: Elan is appointed.

6. Committee on Priorities and Resources

Rania: It meets every Tuesday at 8:30 AM and you talk about faculty benefits and their salaries. The laundry issue was also a project of the CPR. You learn a lot about the budget of the school.

Dave: You get to really learn the inter-workings of the school. Technically this committee is full. Rania and Levan are still on it, but I am going to resign so there is one position open.

Nominations: Elan, Viet, Gabe, Richa

Richa: I would be good at this because I represent the class of 2007 and I am good at waking up early.

Viet: I am truly interested in the inter-workings of the school and would like to work on the long term policies of the school. I am very determined and have also developed the habit of waking up early.

Elan: One of the things I want to work on this year is finding a solution to the club sports issue. They advertise all the club sports in recruiting students and there has been a deficit in where the money is being placed. We foot the bill for a lot of different things that the administrations in other schools pick up. I would really like to know where all of the money is going. Another thing is renovations on campus. The lecture halls have some putrid and ugly seats and the library needs renovation on the top floors. The CPR works on capital campaigns. The CPR is also involved with tuition increases. I want to get more involved with following that matter with the faculty members. I would also report back a lot on what is happening on all of my committees. Also about it being early, I have swim practice in the mornings so that won’t be a problem.

Ryan Park: Speaking for Gabe. He is one of the most intelligent and hard working people that I know. CPR doesn’t really deal with the micro issues of where money is going. It deals more with tenure plans and financial aid. He is working on finance and is an economics major and this is something he really cares about.

Gabe is appointed.

Mira: Motion to limit people’s speeches to 30 seconds.

Dave: I will keep an eye on that.

7. Committee on Educational Policy

Noah: The main thing we did this semester is approve courses for next semester. Any time a professor wants to change wording on the course catalog they have to propose it to the CEP.

Dave: There are 2 positions available.

Nominations: Rob, Anoop, Ester, Gabe

Rob: I want to figure out writing at this school. A lot of other colleges have intensive writing programs. As it turns out, writing is pretty much the most important indicator of your future success in a lot of areas. The freshmen seminars are supposed to teach you how to write; I don’t know that a lot of them do. I really want to make it my job to make sure everyone comes out of this college knowing how to write well.

Elan: Speaking for Ester. Ester is very committed, she is almost obsessive compulsive with her work. She knows education and she will bring it. She will do a fantastic job.

Gabe: I would love to work on all aspects of the Amherst educational policy. As a senior, I have a fair idea of how things should change. I am interested in a more effective registration method, one that is online instead of the current signature method.

Anoop: This is one of the main reasons I am on the Senate. A lot of people have been telling me that they are disappointed with the fact that the classes do not go into depth. A lot of psychology and physics courses are only offered every 2 years. The registration system that was one of the parts of my platform about course conflicts.

Gabe and Annop are appointed.

8. Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid

Noah: You generally look at relatively large issues. You have nothing to do with the admission of certain people. You generally help steer the direction of admission programs.

Nominations: Noah, Avi, Justin, Mike, Viet, Boris.

Boris: I think Amherst can do a better job of reaching out to low income people. A lot of the minorities that are a part of Amherst aren’t necessarily from low income households. I think Amherst is very athlete-oriented and I think we could bring more diversity to campus.

Avi: I am a tour guide and am on this committee vicariously through what Noah tells me.

Viet: I think I could bring a new point of view in being an international student. I have some experience in this area. Last semester I worked on the International Students Viewbook.

Noah: I think the fact that the dean is willing to appoint me speaks for itself. I created a publication for the admissions office this year. Hopefully elect me so that I can resign.

Mike: I am on the same page with Boris. I am committed to diversifying the college in terms of socioeconomics. I am from a part of Chicago where I can network to give students information about Amherst.

Justin: I would like to say that the one place I am different from the other candidates is that I don’t have a set belief. I am willing to learn what the admissions office ideas are. I am willing to listen to what people have to say.

Mike and Noah are appointed.

9. Library Committee

Mira: It has been a bit busy this year, but it will probably entail a meeting in the fall and one in the spring. We talk about the library budget and any problems they are having. It is a really laid back committee. You can make suggestions and it is an interesting way to learn about the library.

Nominations: Mira, Viet

Both are appointed by unanimous consent.

10. Committee on discipline

Dave We need 4 students, 2 men and 2 women.

Roz: We hear all disciplinary cases that require any suspension or dismissal.

Nominations: Mira, Avi, Viet, Richa, Boris, John.

Mira and Richa are appointed.

Boris: I would be able to make a legitimate decision on this because I can relate to other people. You can’t let people get away with things, but you can’t be too harsh.

Avi: My emphasis on success through moderation as well as my tempered hand.

Viet: There is a sense of impunity toward people to vandalism and academic dishonest actions and I think I would try to enforce that more.

John: I think there is a lot of people on campus who think that academic dishonesty here isn’t taken as seriously and having worked on the College Council this past year with related incidents, it is something I would be very interested in.

John and Viet are appointed.

11. Committee on Health and Safety

Justin: It doesn’t really do too much. It has never met; there have been a couple of emails.

Nominations: Justin and John.

Both are appointed by unanimous consent.

12. Committee on Physical Education and Athletics

Justin: This year we have been meeting about every three weeks. We have been dealing with club sports issues and schedules. Nest semester they will be putting in a turf field. The Committee of Six has given us a bunch of appointments for next semester.

Mira: Do you need to be a varsity athlete?

Justin: No.

Nominations: Steve, Boris, Justin.

Boris: I have a good relation with a lot of athletes. I live with a football player and tried out for basketball. I understand what they are going through.

Steve: This is primarily why I got involved with the AAS. I play two sports here and have been a captain on one of them. I want to change the way club sports have been funded. This is what I am really interested in and I have done a ton of research on this.

Justin: I am really interested in this topic. I have a good relationship with Peter Gooding and they would like me to be on the committee again. I am a varsity athlete.

Steve and Justin are appointed.

13. Information Technology Policy Committee

Jake: I am currently on it. You deal with the people who are involved with the Amherst computer network. It is a cool committee to be on if you like info tech or if you just have issues on how the network should be run. We had one meeting this semester.

Nominations: Stephen, Marco.

Both are appointed by unanimous consent.

14. Affirmative Action Advisory Committee

Nominations: Arpan

Arpan is appointed by unanimous consent.

15. Advisory Committee on Trusteeship

Christian: It is a very important committee that didn’t meet second semester. The committee looks for potential suggestions for trustees and nominations.

Nominations: Mike, Christian, John.

John: This past year I had a very short tenure on it. I hope I can be member next year so I can work with the trustees.

Christian: Because I have a lot of experience on the Student Life Committee I know what kinds of people are good at being trustees. There are some that don’t interact well and I would be interested in choosing people who are going to add academically and in so far as approving student life.

Mike: It would be a demonstrative ability of what I have. I am good at detecting the type of traits people want in these trustees.

Mike and Christian are appointed by unanimous consent.

16. Committee on honorary degrees

Roz: Basically this committee works with the trustees for honorary degree nominations.

John and Rob are appointed by unanimous consent.

17. Advisory Committee on Student Life

Dave: You meet with the trustees two or three times a semester. You get to set the agendas. The trustees have the real power around here.

Nominations: Elan, Christian, Ester.

Elan: A lot of our social life is pretty lacking around here. We need some more funding for non-drinking events on campus. We need some renovations also.

Ryan Park: Speaking for Ester. This is usually a very male dominated committee and it would be nice that to change.

Christian: I have served on this committee before. There are certain trustees that are open for suggestions and I don’t think students realize the importance trustees have on funding activities. I worked with Dean Lieber and I am the only returning member.

Elan and Ester are appointed.

18. Space Allocation Committee

Jake: It is a really great committee in that you get to decide who gets space and who is abusing space that they have.

Nominations: Dave, Richa, Rob, Boris, Elan.

Dave, Rob, and Elan are appointed by unanimous consent.

Richa: I have a firm understanding of all of the different clubs on campus. I have seen that there are offices that aren’t being used.

Boris: I was in YAI and El Arco Iris tutoring and we had to meet in several places.

Boris is appointed.

19. Interdepartmental Student Fund Committee

Mira: They give some money to Dean Haynes. You probably won’t meet.

Nominations: Richa

Richa is appointed by unanimous consent.

20. Residential Life Committee

Ian: It supervised the theme house supplemental fund. You meet about twice a month and when there is a request from a theme house over $200.

Nominations: Ester, Stephen, Boris.

All are appointed by unanimous consent.

21. Martin Luther King Jr. Committee

Eric: They do a big celebration in February and run an interdepartmental religious service. It has members from various religious groups and you get invited to the very nice dinners and brunches. Dolores Huerta was our speaker this year.

Nominations: John and Avi.

Avi: I love brunches and I think I can do a good job.

John: Not to mention how much MLK means to me personally, it is important that we do honor his legacy and bring speakers to campus.

John is appointed.

 

IX. New business (11:30 PM)

A. Five College Student Coordinating Board

Eric: Two years ago the Five College Student Coordinating Board was founded and it includes the college president and a programming coordinator. It works on things like bus-ins, coordinating class registration, and promoting better social activities. It is one of my favorite boards to sit on. Every other college but us has approved it. I don’t understand why the Senate hasn’t approved it. It is a very small element. One thing that is included is that the AAS will give $500 to it. It is a very valuable committee and it is a small thing for you to join. It looks poor on our part not to join.

Jake: I move to approve.

Richa: Second.

Jake: I think this is a fantastic idea. It is embarrassing that we haven’t ratified it yet. Our participation in the consortium yields immense benefits for us.

Noah: As Class Council Chair, other colleges did get in touch with us. There is a very real sense at the other colleges that they want everyone to come together more.

Elan: What are a few things they have organized this year?

Eric: They helped organize the day of service, gave money to a soup kitchen and kiosks at bus stops, and are at the tentative planning stage for a five college festival. Mount Holyoke and Amherst had bid on the same concert and we shared information on that.

Ryan Park: When I first joined this board, I was very skeptical of it. For example, Smith is revamping its dining program. I met with the president of smith and I presented to her what we did with our 100 bonus bucks here and now Smith is looking at an adaptive form of that plan. It is more a channel of communication between the colleges.

Mira: It is a $500 fee but it is in the Five College Constitution that it is just dues so if they raise it we are bound to it.

Ryan Park: Any amendments have to be approved by the school’s student government.

Jake: Move the question.

Will: Second.

Question is not moved.

Elan: One issue I have with it is that I would like to see something in our constitution that specifies how we would make amendments to this body. I won’t want to do it for all Five Colleges but it should be in ours.

Steve: Is this an agent through which you lobby money from the schools?

Eric: The Five Colleges match every dollar the students put in. The board has never lobbied for money beyond that. Because the board consists of the head of programming and the present of the student government they could go back and ask for more funding.

Avi: Call the question.

Approval of the constitution- MOTION PASSES.

B. NESN

Justin: Last week I came to the Senate about this. Mr. Judeyki went to Comcast and they said we could get NESN for free as long as we had a channel to put it on. Assuming the AAS says we can put NESN on an academic channel, we can do this. I want to pass a resolution saying we approve putting NESN on one of the empty academic channels.

Mira: Call the question.

MOTION PASSES.

C. Special referendum

Elan: It is a petition I brought last week to open committees to non-senators

Mike: Second.

Elan: This is going to go to referendum. I am asking for this to happen on Friday or Saturday. I want this to happen this semester because it is a hybrid between our former SGO system and AAS system. I think it will be very helpful with this to have people voting that experienced both systems. A lot of people might argue against the legitimacy of having a vote now since it is coming close to finals time. I would ask you how many votes you need for it to be legitimate. It is the responsibility of voters to push their ideas on this. I got 60 signatures in 45 minutes.

Mira: I recognize your point of the value of experience of the seniors. A lot of seniors are saying, “I am not going to be here, I don’t care”. I think a lot of people are burnt out. We would have to have it on a Sunday before exam period. I think a lot more than 5% would have to turn out for it to be legitimate.

Ryan Park: I want to stress what a fundamental change this is in the system. While I respect Elan’s opinion, I feel that a greater public debate should be given on this. Articles in The Student should happen. I doubt people are going to be engaged and interested in the topic at this time.

Noah: I voted for this last time, but this seems like it needs a lot more structure to it. I don’t know that this incarnation of the idea is right.

Jake: I voted for this last time too, but I think we just missed our window. Trying to fit this in, we just don’t have the time to do it. With an election of this magnitude it might be better to start fresh with a new class.

Justin: I think this is too soon.

Rania: Call the question.

Referendum Date – MOTION FAILS.

Mira: Program Board is thinking of doing something other than music for next fall. We are thinking about Ralph Nader or Louis Black. Can I take a quick straw poll?

Elan: I will expect to see articles in The Student talking about the referendum soon.

 

X. Adjournment 11:57 PM

 

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

Election amendment

SENIOR SENATORS

1

Elan Ghazal

Y

Steve Hollister

Y

Esther Lim

/

Gabriel Mattera

/

Arpan Podduturi

Y

Daniel Reiss

/

Christian Sanchez

Y

Justin Sharaf

Y

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

Rania Arja

Y

Rob Cobbs

Y

Viet Do

Y

Techo Kim

Y

John Lian

Y

Stephen Scriber

Y

Mira Serril-Robins

Y

Mike Simmons

Y

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

Richa Bhala

Y

Boris Bulayev

Y

Avi Das

Y

Will Havemann

Y

Noah Isserman

Y

Marco LoCascio

/

Anoop Menon

Y

Jacob Thomas

Y

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS