AAS SENATE Minutes: Monday 12/2/02 9 PM, Converse Hall Cole Assembly Room

14th Meeting of the ’02-’03 AAS Senate – Final Meeting of Fall 2002

 

I. Call to Order (9:11 PM)

II. Attendance

III. Announcements (9:12)

A.  Next Meeting: 1/27/03

B.  Goodbye to Departing Senators

Eric Osborne, Jay Gilliam and Ali Sacks

C.  Ben the due dates for the statements of candidacy for the upcoming election. The elections will be held the last day of classes..

D.  Livia reminded the senate that the Faculty dining week is this week. The senate hopes that at least 15-20 professors or staff to participate this week.

E.  Shaun announced his possible departure in the spring.

F.  Blake invited the senators to Drew Bop.

G.  Angie invited the senators to two ACH house projects.

 

IV. Minutes: 11/18/02 (9:17)

No corrections. Minutes are passed.

 

V. Report of the Treasurer (9:17)

Budgetary Recommendations

Women in Science $50

Nuestras Raices $79.95

Newman $425

ACF $500

ACF $500 different event

El Arco $625

Total: $2,179.90

Livia advised that $1900from the AAS budget to be given to pay for the shuttle service to Bradley, and $2000 dollars from programming/discretionary funding pay for the increase in PVTA.

 

VI. Special Orders: BC Funding Recommendations, Club Budgets (9:22)

A voice vote was called to add $100 to the shuttle bus funding for publicity, and a final roll call vote was called at 9:34 to pass the BC recommendations with the $100 addition.

SEE VOTE 1 BELOW. Motion to pass Budgetary Committee weekly funding recommendations (plus $2,000 for Rania Arja’s Bradley Airport Shuttle instead of the initially recommended $1,900): PASSES 27-0-0

A motion to pass the appeals was called at 9:36, and a discussion briefly occurred for clarifications. The motion was called to question at 9:37, but another clarification had to be made about $0 funding for the publications due to quality control issues, and that $5000 will roll over to programming. The motion was called to question again at 9:38, followed by a roll call vote.

SEE VOTE 2 BELOW. Motion to pass Budgetary Committee funding recommendations for club appeals: PASSES 23-0-4

Bob announced that some committees College Council, Trustee Advisory, Commencement, and Honorary Degree with open spaces must be filled before January, although some new senators may not be given a chance to be on them, because of coming meetings.

 

VII. Unfinished Business: Center for Academic Integrity (Eric Osborne ’04; see below) (9:44)

Mihailis presented a motion to join the Center for Academic Integrity. The center, however, requires an honor code to join. Since Amherst does not have one, we are not eligible to join. Mike Flood motioned to move the question, and a voice vote was held at 9:50. Motion failed and Amherst will not join the Center.

 

VIII. New Business (9:50)

A.  Airport Shuttle: Funding Request (Rania Arja ’06) (9:28)

Morgan Coach Lines, the least expensive company will provide the shuttle service. The bus will run 4 times on the 18th and the 19th, 4AM 9AM 1PM and 4PM. The $1900 factors in the gratuity for the driver, and the buses will be filled on a first come first served basis. A later motion added $100 for publicity.

 

B.  Constitution & Bylaws Discussion (Jun Matsui ’03; see below) 9:50

Jun stated the difficulties of Review and Recognition this semester because all the clubs on campus had to undergo it. She welcomed questions and announced that a written explanation of all the decisions would be provided to the senators in writing. Shaun added that because the constitutional language is vague any guidance form the senators would be welcomed. He also explained the two requirements for recognition of clubs: the clubs must have a clear goal and work towards it, and exercise some discretion. The club must admit anyone as a member. He also suggested that a recommendation should be made to formulate clearer guidelines. Mike Flood motioned to table the debate, Elan called it to question at 10:05 and was passed.

 

C.  Spring Senate Guest Speakers – Whom Shall We Invite? (Bob Razavi ’03) 10:06

The dorm planners, Dean Lieber and Raskin, President Gerety, Dr. Fitz the head of the IT department, the head of the dining services, Disciplinary Committee, Student Life Committee, Gardener, trustees, Willy Ebbs the first diversity chair, Peter Gooding were recommended as possible guest speakers.

 

D.  Creation of Ad-Hoc Committee on Visibility (Alex Linden ’04) 10:13

Alex announced that the two Valentine Tables were successful, and proposed that an Ad Hoc committee be formed to promote visibility on campus of no more than 5 people. Further, other ad hoc committees are encouraged to report back with findings or results. Jay suggested that perhaps the Student could print the votes. Mike Flood moved to call the question. The motion passed 10-20. Paige, Caleb, Ben, Ali Hassan, and Angie were elected.

 

E.  Bulletin Board Logistics (Alex Linden ’04) 10:29

Alex announced the location of the bulletin board (under the Hungry Newt sign). Previous and future agendas will also be posted in the Spring.

F.  Livia announced that many office keys are missing, and the door has not been locked. She urged the senators to be careful, as the office has $10,000 worth of equipment.

G.  An election was held to fill the committees..

College Council: Geoff giving up library, Blake giving up CPR

22-5-2  Geoff wins

Trustee Advisory: Will for Seniors Will fills the position

Kay and Blake for Juniors. 14-11-4 Kay wins

 

Motion to extend meeting to 10:53. Passed.

 

H.  Mike called to close the meeting and vote on the professor to give the award.

Call to question 10:41

A voice vote at 10:41 passed the motion.

IX. Adjournment

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

Vote Description Summaries:

1) Motion to pass Budgetary Committee weekly funding recommendations (plus $2,000 for Rania Arja’s Bradley Airport Shuttle instead of the initially recommended $1,900): PASSES 27-0-0

2) Motion to pass Budgetary Committee funding recommendations for club appeals: PASSES 23-0-4

 

SENIOR SENATORS

1

2

 

 

Julie Babayan

Y

Y

 

 

Ben Baum

Y

Y

 

 

Rocio Digon

Y

Y

 

 

Mike Flood

Y

Y

 

 

Jesse Freedman

Y

Y

 

 

Will Johnson

Y

Y

 

 

Stacey Kennard

Y

Y

 

 

Ali Sacks

Y

A

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Kay Bradley

Y

Y

 

 

Mihailis Diamantis

Y

Y

 

 

Jay Gilliam

Y

Y

 

 

Lincoln Mayer

Y

Y

 

 

Eric Osborne

 

 

 

 

Blake Sparrow

Y

A

 

 

Luke Swarthout

 

 

 

 

Geoff Walter

Y

Y

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Elan Ghazal

Y

Y

 

 

Angie Han

Y

Y

 

 

Ali Hassan

Y

Y

 

 

Maria Jones

Y

Y

 

 

Ryan Park

 

 

 

 

Christian Sanchez

 

 

 

 

Niti Sardana

Y

A

 

 

Paige Wallace

Y

Y

 

 

FIRST-YEAR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Rania Arja

Y

Y

 

 

Sameer Bashey

 

 

 

 

Caleb Deats

Y

Y

 

 

Andre Deckrow

Y

A

 

 

Techo Kim

Y

Y

 

 

John Lian

Y

Y

 

 

Ian Shin

Y

Y

 

 

Matt Vanneman

Y

Y

 

 

DIVERSITY SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Alan Vazquez (Latino)

 

 

 

 

Chris Sorrentino (LBGT)

 

 

 

 

Daisuke O (International)

 

 

 

 

Francis Lee (Asian)

 

 

 

 

 

 

AAS SENATE Minutes: Monday 12/2/02 9 PM, Converse Hall Cole Assembly Room

14th Meeting of the ’02-’03 AAS Senate – Final Meeting of Fall 2002

 

I. Call to Order (9:11 PM)

II. Attendance

III. Announcements (9:12)

H.  Next Meeting: 1/27/03

I.  Goodbye to Departing Senators

Eric Osborne, Jay Gilliam and Ali Sacks

J.  Ben: Elections coming up. Statements of candidacy due tomorrow. And elections are the last day of classes.

K.  Livia: Faculty dining week. We want at least 15 to 20 professors to participate this week. It doesn’t have to be a professor, we just need people.

L.  Shaun: I may leave next semester.

M.  Blake: Please come to Drew Bop, my house project.

N.  Angie: ACH is having house projects on Tuesday and Wednesday. Please come.

 

IV. Minutes: 11/18/02 (9:17)

No corrections. Minutes are passed.

 

V. Report of the Treasurer (9:17)

Women in Science for a speaker

Recommending that we take 2000 dollars for PVTA from programming and discretionary. Because, the initial budget was $2000 short. We have nowhere else for it to come from. Also 1900 from AAS budget to pay for shuttle service to Bradley.

 

VI. Special Orders: BC Funding Recommendations, Club Budgets (9:22)

Vote at 9:33 (see VIII A for bus related discussion)

Voice vote for giving $100 for publicity.

Roll call vote to pass BC recommendations (9:34) 27-0-0 passed with an amendment to add $100 for shuttle service

 

Motion to pass appeals (9:36)

Discussion

Andre: They seem to be getting redundant funding.

Livia: Different events.

Call to question (9:37)

Jesse: Why were the publications allotted $0.

Livia: It’s a quality control issue, and a split in the BC. Also $5000 will roll into programming.

Call to question (9:38)

Roll call vote to pass the appeals (9:38) 23-0-4 passes

Bob: Ben reminded me that some committees will have open spaces, and it makes sense to fill them. We will not do it now, but will later. You can switch committees.

Andre: Are we appointing people now? New senators should be given a chance to serve on them.

Bob: Yes. College Council meets January.

Ali: If they are elected after these committees meet, it doesn’t make sense to appoint later.

Lincoln: Will these committee appointments be until the end of spring semester?

Shaun: are there any committee positions that will be vacated? So there will be positions for new senators to take?

Ben: All senators must serve on a committee.

Andre: We will only vote on College council and Trustee advisory Commencement and Honorary Degree.

 

VII. Unfinished Business: Center for Academic Integrity (Eric Osborne ’04; see below) (9:44)

Bob: Any motions on the floor?

Mihailis: Motion to pass the motion to join the Center.

Ben: I have two concerns. One, you had to have an honor code.

Livia: It’s in the fine print. It must have an honor code.

Mike: Are we joining on behalf of Amherst College? Do we have the authority to do that?

Bob: We are making a recommendation.

Mike: So it’s a big guy decision.

Livia: We need an honor code, and we don’t have one.

Maria: Who will be able to access these resources?

Julie: I don’t think it’s appropriate to join at the time.

Stacy: We are not eligible, so there is no need to join. I would like to call to question.

Matt: I would like to move to table this indefinitely.

Bob: We can’t table it. So we need to dispose it.

Stacy: WE can bring it up later.

Mike: Move to question.

We don’t have enough information.

Bob: No one against moving question. We need 2/3rd. If in favor of voting, don’t raise hands.

Vote 9:49 25-0, so we will vote on the motion. Need simple majority.

Voice vote. 9:50. Motion fails.

 

VIII. New Business (9:50)

I.  Airport Shuttle: Funding Request (Rania Arja ’06) (9:28)

Morgan coach lines would be the least expensive. Have the bus do four runs on 18th and the 19th. 4AM 9AM 1PM and 4 PM. $1900 with the factored in gratuity. First come first served basis.

Stacy: Is there a way to make this more cost effective?

Rania: We thought about vans on school, but we also want to be reliable.

Stacy: Is there an issue with student cars?

Mike: Is there a service when we come back?

Rania: We want to do it again for Spring and see how it goes, and expand.

Lincoln: So you will use a list to see how many people sign up?

Rania: Dean Haynes wants someone to take care of the people getting on the bus. We need to work that out.

Stacy: Motion to pass budgetary recs.

Maria: Motion to add $100 for publicity.

Geoff: Call to question.

J.  Constitution & Bylaws Discussion (Jun Matsui ’03; see below) 9:50

Jun: Any discussion regarding my report? Review and recognition was very different this semester, because all the clubs needed to go through it. If you have any recommendations for other clubs, then you can contact any of us. Finally, if anyone has concerns with the JC, please contact me or any member of the JC.

Matt: PoI. How many get re-reviewed and re-recognized. Are they permanently recognized?

Jun: When necessary. They submit paperwork each semester? A lot of clubs slipped through the cracks, so we will take care of that.

Maria: Can I have explanation of the clubs that were denied?

Jun: It’s in writing and will be provided to you.

Stacy: Disciplinary advocates?

Jun: It is run by the deans. It wasn’t a matter.

Andre: There could be a conflict if we recognize them as a student group. They just wanted to submit budget, but can get discretionary funding. They didn’t know what recognition would entail.

Mike: Can I put the clubs on the agenda?

Shaun: Let’s talk about how JC has gone about recognizing clubs. I want to know how the senate thinks about the JC. I think there is enough vague language in the constitution so I would like to get some guidance.

Elan: What were the two hurdles that you set up?

Shaun: The group has a clear goal and work towards it, and exercise some discretion. They should let anyone become a member.

Elan: The Hamster was harassing people Rob Brown?

Jun: In the bylaws, there is a method. If you wanted us to address that, we can. All new clubs recognized by us will be reviewed.

Mike: I think we should have this conversation we want to have next semester.

Bob: like Jun said, we need to know what kind of changes we are making in the constitution.

Shaun: Maybe there should be a recommendation about a clear guideline about how the JC should go about approving clubs.

Ali: I don’t think we should over explain anything. There should be some discretion. People have common sense. We trust each other.

Blake: Didn’t AIDS/HIV get de-recognized? They only have two events and it brings the AIDS quilt.

Shaun: They are recognized by other groups on campus. The members weren’t high enough and they were not making a significant impact on campus. They go to the BC.

Livia: I am speaking as a student, there were some issues of personal beliefs and the being representative of the entire student body? Is the JC representing the entire student body, or I am just not clear. Some people feel that personal opinions have overrun.

Jun: First of all, we are supposed to be impartial. My impression was that since we were voted on by the entire student body, that’s who we represent.

Andre: We looked at whether or not if they were fulfilling constitutional guidelines.

Mike: Motion to table this debate.

Elan: Question called. 10:05

Vote 10:05 To table question about constitutional bylaws.

Passes

 

K.  Spring Senate Guest Speakers – Whom Shall We Invite? (Bob Razavi ’03) 10:06

Bob: I need to invite a guest speaker in here.

Will: The dorm planners to come.

Ben: Have Lieber and Raskin come.

Bob: It is someone on campus.

Blake: Gerety.

Stacy: Presidential search committee.

Caleb: Dr. Fitz. The head of the IT department. The internet is very slow.

Lincoln: Head of the dining service if the meal plan is up for discussion.

Maria: disciplinary committee.

Mike: and student life.

Jay: Gardener.

Jun: Some trustees.

Stacy: there are people working on replacing Gardener.

Alan: Willy Ebbs. He is the first diversity chair, and we should listen to him in the light of diversity controversy.

Jesse: Peter Gooding. I want to know what’s going on in the athletics committee.

Kay: Peter Gooding.

Bob: We will bring at least a couple of these people.

 

L.  Creation of Ad-Hoc Committee on Visibility (Alex Linden ’04) 10:13

Alex: WE did the valentine table twice. They weren’t that successful. We want to create an Ad Hoc committee to make the valentine tables better. We want to bring some more agendas to the meeting. I want people to volunteer, a committee which will begin meeting next semester. No more than 5.

Ben: Would it be better to create a visibility committee that includes Valentine and other things?

Alex: We could begin with the tables and then if people want to do more, they can.

Andre: Has the e-board discussed this issue at all? I think the e-board can just look at it on its own.

Alex: we did meet and we decided to make this committee.

Mike: PoI. Is there a list of all the ad hoc committees and see what they did? We never hear back.

Bob: It’s in the minutes but no official list. There have been reminders for the ad hoc committees to come forward with results.

Jay: Maybe we can get the Student to print our votes. It would also be a good idea for the students to get a printing about what each senator has been doing. So they can continually know what each senator is doing.

Mike: WE can do things that matter. WE should be grateful that the student covers us at all. I motion to call the question.

Vote 10:20 passes

Bob: Nominations.

Paige

Caleb

Ben

Ali H

Angie

 

M.  Bulletin Board Logistics (Alex Linden ’04) 10:29

Alex: It’s under the hungry Newt sign. It has all the members. Next semester we will place previous and future agendas. Email me about your opinion or questions. It will begin the beginning of next semester.

N.  Livia: There are many office keys floating around. The office has not been locked. There are $10,000 worth of equipment in there. If you have a key, please be careful.

O.  Election- We are filling two committees. They will begin terms when this semester ends.

College Council: Geoff giving up library, Blake giving up CPR

22-5-3  Geoff wins

Trustee Advisory: Will for Seniors Will fills the position

Kay and Blake for Juniors. 14-11-4 Kay wins

 

Motion to extend meeting to 10:53. Passed.

 

P.  Mike: Close the meeting and vote on the professor to give the award.

Call to question 10:41

Vote 10:41 Voice vote Passes

IX. Adjournment

 

Agenda submitted to the AAS Senate Saturday 11/30/02, Vice-President Bob Razavi ’03.

 

 

REPORT OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT – Bob Razavi ’03

Media FYI:

1) Tufts Daily News, 11/20/02: http://www.tuftsdaily.com/articleDisplay.jsp?a_id=803

2) FOX News Channel, 11/19/02: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,71093,00.html (This is the script of the segment that aired nationally between 6:33 and 6:36 PM EST on Special Report with Brit Hume.)

3) Boston Globe, 11/17/02: http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/321/oped/The_campus_diversity_fraud+.shtml

 

Also, think about what guests you’d like me to invite to a meeting to speak to us next semester. For example, Dean Lieber brought dorm renovation and construction blueprints to a Spring 2000 Senate meeting. He solicited our ideas, we voted on our preferences, and he took this information to the planners.

 

 

REPORT OF THE JUDICIARY COUNCIL CHAIR – Jun Matsui ’03

Recommendations for Referendum on Constitution and Bylaws:

basically, we need more time. the more we look at it, the more that comes up. instead of rushing, we hope to have as complete a set of recommendations as possible, formalized in time for elections in the spring. the recommendations will be run by the senate for discussion and modification. any suggestions are always welcome -- email jymatsui.
  in addition, any questions/concerns/comments that people want to make about the r+r process, or recommend any clubs go through review in the spring, please contact me. please understand that this first semester was completely different from any other semester in the future in terms of r+r, as every single club had to be reviewed (whew!). we hope to conduct review more thoroughly and in depth in the coming semesters.
  finally, if there are any concerns about how the JC is functioning, talk to me or the entire group about it. if there is a serious concern that needs to be raised, any member of the JC can be contacted, and it is then their responsibility to bring it before the entire group. if they fail to do so (i.e. you don't get a response), please don't hesitate to contact me. or if you prefer, contact the president, dave bugge.

 

 

Review and Recognition

Thursday, November 21, 2002

 

Club Name

Decision

A.S.G.

recognized

FACE

recognized

ACRONYM

recognized

The Carnivore Club

not recognized

The Indicator

recognized

The Spectator

recognized

Veggie

recognized

Progressive Students Alliance

recognized

Aikya

recognized

Disciplinary Advocates

conversation

Students for Sensible Drug Policy

recognized

Hepcat Swing Club

recognized

Fencing Club

recognized

Snowboarding Club

recognized

Noor

recognized

A Further Room

recognized

Prism

recognized

Woodsy

recognized

 

 

Failed to Show:

 

Women's Water Polo

 

Oregon Club

 

CAP

 

 

 

 

VII. Proposal to Join the Center for Academic Integrity: Motion: That Amherst College joins the Center for Academic Integrity so as to gain access to a helpful resource center.

Please see www.academicintegrity.org in advance to answer any of your questions, and look at the “Membership Benefits” hyperlink. The fee for joining is $350.