AAS Minutes

11/29/2004

 

I.  Attendance

AAS Senate Attendance '04-'05 - VP David Scherr '05 --Fall 2004

 

 

 

 

 

SENIOR SENATORS

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

Elan Ghazal

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Steve Hollister

x

/

x

x

U

x

x

E

x

U

U

 

 

 

Esther Lim

E

x

x

x

U

x

x

/

x

x

x

 

 

 

Gabriel Mattera

E

x

x

x

x

/

x

x

U

U

x

 

 

 

Arpan Podduturi

x

x

x

x

/

x

x

/

x

U

x

 

 

 

Daniel Reiss

x

x

/

x

x

x

x

x

x

U

x

 

 

 

Christian Sanchez

x

x

x

x

x

/

x

U

x

x

x

 

 

 

Justin Sharaf

x

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rania Arja

x

x

x

x

x

/

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Rob Cobbs

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

 

 

 

Viet Do

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

/

x

x

U

 

 

 

Techo Kim

x

x

/

x

x

x

U

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

John Lian

x

x

/

x

U

x

x

x

x

x

U

 

 

 

Stephen Scriber

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Mira Serrill-Robins

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Mike Simmons

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

U

x

E

x

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Richa Bhala

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

/

x

x

x

 

 

 

Boris Bulayev

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

/

x

U

 

 

 

Avi Das

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

/

x

U

x

 

 

 

Will Havemann

x

x

/

x

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

 

 

 

Noah Isserman

x

x

x

x

x

x

U

/

x

x

x

 

 

 

Marco LoCascio

U

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Anoop Menon

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Jacob Thomas

x

x

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Avery Armour

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Ali Berman

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Raj Borsellino

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Daniel de Zeeuw

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Ali Khan

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Spencer Robins

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Erika Sams

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Josh Stein

 

 

 

 

 

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

TOTAL SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ryan Park

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

David Scherr

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Ian Shin

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

 

 

 

Ryan Smith

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

U

 

 

 

Roslynn Graves

x

x

x

x

U

x

x

x

x

U

x

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MEETING DATES:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LEGEND:

 

 

 

1 5/3/04

7 10/25/04

 

 

 

 

 

x = Present

 

 

 

2 9/13/04

8 11/1/05

 

 

 

 

 

E = Excused Absence

3 9/20/04

9 11/8/04

 

 

 

 

 

U = Unexcused Absence

4 9/27/04

10 11/16/04

 

 

 

 

/ = Half an Absence

 

5 10/04/04

11 11/29/04

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 10/18/04

12

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

31

30

29

28

 

II.  Call to order (9:06 p.m.)

III.  Approval of the minutes

Minutes approved

IV.  Officer report

Ryan: The committee on advising will be revising scrutiny. I’d been talking to a group of students and we are going to collaborate to have an editorial board set up for us. There will be a meeting at 7 to discuss that. Hopefully we’ll get courses reviewed this semester.

Dave: There are more things to do on the agenda. All are under special orders. Discretionary funding will go first. We will approve master general fund and class budgets. I will set up a new attendance policy. There will be an alcohol stipulation; if I can tell you’re drunk, you’ll be absent. Be responsible.

Ian: The last BC meeting of the semester is this Wednesday. All discretionary requests must be turned in Tuesday 5 pm. Last day to get expenses made in 1st semester to get reimbursed, forms due Wed 12/15.

V.  Announcements

Josh: Last time CAP had $15,000 for computers and new equipment, and you guys asked why. So we prepared a report to where the funds are going. You guys should read this to see that we are trying to make CAP work.

Josh: The status of CAP is under-worked; we are getting recognition. I encourage anyone to help us get the JC chair and get recognized.

Ryan: We were supposed to talk about this in the e-board. It’s on top of our to do list.

Avi: What is the Medusa?

Cheridwin: It used to be a further room. But the name got changed.

Steven: I want to update everyone on the IT search. We’ve put together the groundwork. We’re meeting with constituency groups on campus, with deans. I want to ask if we can have a meeting with students here next week. We should have people input for what IT director.

Dave: 8:15 next week we’ll meet. And send an email to the student body.

Avi: We are talking about extending dining hall hours from 7:30 to 8:00 and giving every student some money for Schwemm’s. Tony Marx says to tell everything I told him to Dean Lieber then tell him again. I will try to set up a meeting with Peter Shay to see if we can give more money to Valentine.

Ryan: The general tone of the meeting is that they want to help us as much as they could, but there are budget constraints. But they will put up more shelves and more signs in Valentine. Anything they can help us to do, they’ll do.

Avi: We should meet, but we won’t have time. So we should communicate through email more. If anyone has issues, please come to me.

Anoop: Another meal plan option? We should be given the choice of getting all our money back from Valentine if we aren’t using it.

Avi: Valentine’s argument is, if everyone starts dropping out from Valentine, the losses will great. The change would never come from Valentine, but from President’s office.

Anoop: We should prepare a referendum. If majority of students say we will change it, then it will be changed.

Avi: It’s still up to the administration.

Dave: Class projects have one more meeting, and time is running out, so do them.

VI.  Special Orders

Discretionary requests:

Ian: Swing room ballroom dance club: $350. World AIDS day: $37:40 for ribbons to raise awareness about AIDS. The total will be $387.40.

Mira: Would it be good to have water fountains?

Ian: Alumni house has water fountains.

Dave: Call and vote.

Motion passes.

Ryan: I spoke to everyone who had issues with last meeting’s amendment and came to some resolution changing the master general fund to allow special projects for recurring AAS projects. These projects wouldn’t be approved within the semester they are operating in. It’s like a discretionary request that we don’t have to discretion-ize. It reduces potential “slipping through the cracks” to good projects…Charlie Thompson won’t throw away papers, he’ll throw it in the recycling bin.

Spencer: Could we put up a poster for people to not put food on these papers? Dave: Yes.

Marco: What is going into the special projects fund?

Ryan: Just the NY Times.

Anonymous: What will be the process for putting new things in?

Ryan: This senate can do whatever it wants as long as 2/3s of us want to.

Elan: Makes motion to make amendment to Ryan’s amendment. Subsection A should be removed. (Seconded). There won’t be a drastic change between student opinion, and it will be approved again if you already voted to pass it last time. I would just keep it so that it is in the Master General Fund.

Avi: I don’t have a problem with this. Having an approval of it isn’t a bad thing. I’ll go either way, though.

Steven: I’m confused.

Elan: I want it to be special AAS projects, not MGF. Don’t make it discretionary because once you’re back for 1 week, people won’t be discussing this. It just doesn’t need to be taken back to the Senate. It will be wasting time.

Spencer: How different will the approval process be?

Ryan: I put it in, but I’d rather for it not be there. Towards the end of the semester MGF is approved by the senate anyway. This means that it will be approved 4 times a year, instead of 2.

Mira: General Privilege should have a period at the end.

Dave: We’ll vote for the amendment to take out Section A.

Passes 12:10

Dave: Next semester we’ll have a constitution quiz. It won’t be that hard. Everyone should know the gist of it.

Avi: Call on Ryan’s amendment.

Amendment passes by voice vote with Elan’s amendment.

III. Master General Fund

A. The Master General fund shall include the following:

1. 5-College Fine Arts Fee
2. Pioneer Valley Transport Authority (PVTA)
3. Five College Student Coordinating Board Dues
4. Master General Fund Clubs

a. Masspirg
b. Olio
c. Amherst College Emergency Medical Service (ACEMS)
d. Program Board (ACPB)
e. Social Council (SoCo)
f. The Association of Amherst Students

a. Operating Budget
b. Senate Fund

c. AAS Special Projects Fund

i. Newspaper Readership Program

g. Flics

B. Rules Governing Master General Fund Club Allocations

1. Any recommended changes must be brought before the Senate for approval by majority vote.
2. Master General Fund clubs may be subject to special requirements decided on by the Senate.

Ian: For spring of 2005, there will be close to $3500 dollars that goes to MGF. Social council went down $5000. ACEMS went back up.

Avi: Point of info: I feel that we should increase student activities week. I guess we’ll discuss it at a different time.

Elan: Why did ACEMS go back up?

Ian: ACEMS is strapped for cash. There was an increase in the number of paramedics, so they needed more radios.

Will: Why did money get taken away from SOCO?
Ian: Because there was too much money given away in prizes. And ACEMS needed the money, so we had to balance that. And by the way, the fine arts fee is the fee towards UMASS, for calendars, discounted prizes and tickets.

Gabe: Why is MASSPIRG in MGF?
Ian: To be recognized as a national chapter, they have to be recognized by the capital fund at the school.

Justin: Anything left over in the discretionary fund, they get rolled over to next semester discretionary right? What if we project too many students? Where does the money gap come from?

Ian: We don’t usually budget up to top percentage. So we have room if those things should happen.

Elan: Who gets the MASSPIRG money?

Ian: MASSPIRG money is sent directly to the state organization, and money is channeled back as they need it. So we might not be seeing some of it back.

Dave: Mira, treasury is voting for wiggle room within budgets.

Ian: There is $1000 in the appeals pot. We have that buffer.

Gabe: Why are SOCO and Program Board different entities?
Ian: They are different organizations that serve different functions.

Richa: Are the other student senates funding PVTA?

Ian: Yes.

Avi: Call.

Motion passes

Club budget allocations

Ian: We did a pretty good job; we set up some necessary guidelines. We weren’t going to set up travel and lodging. We would fund only necessary registry fees as an Amherst organization. Clubs should make an effort to raise dues, because travel and lodging were personal issues that don’t concern Amherst College. But we will help out anyone with demonstrated financial need. I think this is a good change in policy.

Padraic: I represent Fencing and Karate: We didn’t get any money for foils. That’s all we wanted.

Ian: How many foils did you buy with our money?

Padraic: We bought 3. If we only have 1 per person, it would be a very bad tournament. We had to repair weapons as we were competing, which is not allowed. We want more foils so I don’t have to bend the rules in the tournaments.

Jacob: Motion to move that we fund it in full $180.

Ali: I got an email from someone from the Fencing Club. Out of all the electric equipment, which ones are essential?

Padraic: Dry gear, jacket, blade and body cords. We definitely need foils though.

Avi: How many more clubs are here asking for more money?

Padraic: I’m representing 2.

Avi: Call.

Dave: We will have a voice vote.

Motion passes.

Padraic: Karate Club wasn’t given any testing fees. We can’t promote club members if we don’t pay these fees.

Avi: Were you here doing appeal?

Padraic: Yes.

Avi: We didn’t give this because we felt that this should come out of dues unless there was financial hardship.

Padraic: Our dues were minimal but…

Jacob: I move to fund it in full.

Will: I don’t understand why other teams have to pay $200 in dues when Karate Club guys only have to pay $10.

Padraic: This is traditionally how it’s been done through AAS. I would be very sad if you guys made me raise the dues, this might cause hardship.

Will: I feel this is a minimal amount, so we should be able to fund it.

Spencer: There are people who can pay for this, so they should pay for it before AAS has to spend money it doesn’t have to spend. So it makes more sense to get those who can pay to pay first.

Rhicha: I move to amend the motion to fund half.

Gabe: Everyone could just come up and say that they couldn’t afford it. So, we should just fund the whole thing.

Avi: It doesn’t make sense to fund half, it’s either whole or nothing to keep or break the precedent of not funding the testing fees.

Ryan: AAS’s principal to give everyone the chance to participate, but sometimes it’s because of budgetary constraints.

Ian: It sounds like a collaborative event, the one team event of the semester. It’s like a riding show in that sense.

Christian: We should vote no on this amendment and yes on funding $540 in full.

Elan: Since most clubs aren’t here, we should just give them the whole amount.

Avi: Call.

Amendment to cut $540 in half fails.

Dave: Now onto the full $540.

Mira: It still seems like an individual sort of fee. It seems like there’s plenty of time to come back for discretionary next semester, so we don’t need to waste money this semester. The money rolls over to next semester anyways. And people won’t lie about coming forward in paying the fee, because all their friends would know it.

Steven: I think it’s individualistic too. It seems different than a competition, because Amherst isn’t being represented for anything.

Christian: I don’t think everything has to represent Amherst, it’s just teaching them about karate.

Techo: Call.

Padraic: Mira raised a point on people would be less inclined to do well if they don’t pay. If people don’t take this seriously, it could sacrifice their future in the Karate Club and feel bad about themselves. Also, it may seem individual in that everyone is trying to raise their ranks, but we are all pushing each other hard and doing it as a group. There’s no way we can do it individually.

Avi: Call.

Dave: Voice vote.

Motion on $540 for Karate Club passes.

Esther: Please explain to me what the Republican gun trip is.

Ryan: A lot of it is talking about responsible gun ownership. It’s basically awareness, and then they go to a firing range. A lot of it is awareness. It’s important to the message of their club.

Steven: I went on it last year, and really enjoyed my time.

Avi: I call the full budget.

Rob: I motion to change ski team’s budget to zero. My object to ski team is based on the fact that it’s so expensive. Until I believe that someone can come to Amherst to not expect to come and not spend an arm and a leg, I don’t think their money is necessary.

Elan: Since no one else is here, we should just leave the money allotted! We still have so much money left.

Michael: I don’t care about how much money is left over, but it’s the principle. There is no one on the ski team who cannot afford it. So the money in their budget is not necessary. We should all do our jobs as Student Senators and take this seriously.

Josh: By removing this funding, we are basically telling everyone that you can’t ski if you are poor.

Dan: To hold dues against the club so much when the intent is to keep the cost off the rest of the students, the members of the ski team shouldn’t have to pay so much.

Avi: If we do have this money left over, we should give this money back to students.

Rob: It is a matter of principle. It’s not about dues. No one who’s not wealthy can afford all the equipment to ski. For those who didn’t ski before they got to Amherst, they probably have no interest.

Mira: I don’t like the argument for giving the money back to students. Spring semester is longer and could be given to students then. Plus the money given to ski team is comparable to the money given to other club sports. I think everyone can do it if they want to, even if those numbers are few. We should fund them.

Gabe: Until we run out of money, we should just leave the budget the way it is.

Ryan: I’m troubled by the assumptions being thrown around, like people’s socioeconomic situations and race as a determining factor in people’s economic situation.

Marco: We shouldn’t single out the ski team as a group to be de-funded, and not fair to assume the economic situations. I don’t think it’s fair to punish one specific sport because it’s expensive.

Mike: Before people attack me, you should ask me how I feel the way I feel about the ski team.

Rob: The issue is not who is on the ski team, but who has the opportunity to ski. I singled the ski team out because in crew, you can do crew just by paying dues. You can’t do skiing because you pay the dues, you have to pay for equipment. We either fund it fully: 1000 for every member, or we can say skiing is too expensive for the student body to fund.

Avi: Call.

Dave: We will vote on the motion to de-fund the ski team. A voice vote.

Motion fails.

Avi: Call on the club budget allocations.

Ali: I attack the Honorarium and why it’s funded only 50%.

Ian: The student body should not be funding honorariums. There a lots of offices where they can get money, and not just always come to us. We don’t have to jump in to pay for all of them.

Ryan: I think the system works.

Josh: Motion to de-fund the Republican Club’s Firearms Awareness.

Avi: This is their one event that the Republicans are known for. It’s primarily an awareness trip. I have no issue with the funding.

Elan: There are always great reviews. And it’s for the whole campus and not just the Republicans.

Jake: Everyone enjoys it a lot from what I’ve heard.

Spencer: We funded the Democrats to debate. Josh, why did you move to de-fund them?

Josh: Promoting the use of guns is not what I think is morally right, as a Senator.

Will: I don’t think our own ideology can affect our votes. I think we should take a more objective stance.

Rania: I call.

Steven: I went on the trip twice. It’s a good opportunity to learn. All the equipment for the event is donated. We should fund it.

Mike: It seems like fire-arms is tailored to a narrow interest. It just seems very group-specific.

Mira: Call.

Voice vote: Motion fails.

Ali: SASA will hold several events promoting South Asian culture: a movie night for 2 DVDs. We need to buy them for $50. I would urge the Senate to fund these for $50. They will be donated to Frost Library.

Ian: Frost will make certain purchases for special interest. There is that service provide for them. If they are denied, they can come back to us.

Club Budget passes.

VII.  New business

Rania: A part of junior class council project is to put a computer in the atrium of Valentine. IT would donate everything for us, we just need a desk. Instead of having physical plant build the desks, which is more expensive, we want to buy it instead because pp is more expensive. We want $560.30 for it, along with a plaque to say our name on it, which would cost $50.

Esther: Where would the computer be? And will the computer be safe?

Rania: Valentine is locked at night. And the desk locks the computer in place.

Avi: Call.

Dave: This is from the senate fund, we still have $6000.

Voice call: Motion passes.

Richa: I motion $1000 be granted to buy DVDs for Frost Library as our sophomore council project.

Mira: You guys should know the cheapest price of the DVDs, and the titles, to make things easier.

Richa: We will make sure that we come back with a list.

Jake: Call.

Motion passes.

Elan: I’d like to congratulate the budgetary committee with a job well done with the budget. [Applause].

VIII.  Adjournment (11:06 p.m.)

 

AAS Senate Vote-Sheet '04-'05 - VP David Scherr '05

SENIOR SENATORS

1

2

3

Elan Ghazal

Y

Y

Y

Steve Hollister

/

/

/

Esther Lim

Y

Y

Y

Gabriel Mattera

Y

Y

Y

Arpan Podduturi

Y

Y

Y

Daniel Reiss

Y

Y

Y

Christian Sanchez

Y

Y

Y

Justin Sharaf

Y

Y

Y

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

Rania Arja

Y

Y

Y

Rob Cobbs

Y

Y

Y

Viet Do

/

/

/

Techo Kim

Y

Y

Y

John Lian

/

/

/

Stephen Scriber

Y

Y

Y

Mira Serrill-Robins

Y

Y

Y

Mike Simmons

Y

N

Y

 

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

Richa Bhala

Y

Y

Y

Boris Bulayev

/

/

/

Avi Das

Y

Y

Y

Will Havemann

Y

Y

Y

Noah Isserman

Y

Y

Y

Marco LoCascio

Y

Y

Y

Anoop Menon

Y

Y

Y

Jacob Thomas

Y

Y

N

 

 

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

 

 

Avery Armour

Y

Y

Y

Ali Berman

Y

Y

Y

Raj Borsellino

Y

Y

Y

Daniel de Zeeuw

Y

Y

Y

Ali Khan

Y

Y

Y

Spencer Robins

Y

Y

Y

Erika Sams

Y

Y

Y

Josh Stein

Y

Y

Y

Vote totals: Y:

28

27

27

N:

0

1

1

 

 

 

 

Y = Yes

 

#

 

N = No

 

 

 

A = Abstention

 

(2/3)

/ = Not Present for Vote

 

 

 

VOTE DESCRIPTION:

 

 

 

1 BC Recommendations-PASS

 

 

2 MGF for spring -PASS

 

 

 

3 Spring Club Budgets-PASS