AAS MEETING

Monday, October 25, 2004

 

I. Attendance

SENIOR SENATORS

 

Elan Ghazal

x

Steve Hollister

x

Esther Lim

x

Gabriel Mattera

x

Arpan Podduturi

x

Daniel Reiss

x

Christian Sanchez

x

Justin Sharaf

x

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

Rania Arja

x

Rob Cobbs

x

Viet Do

x

Techo Kim

U

John Lian

x

Stephen Scriber

x

Mira Serril-Robins

x

Mike Simmons

x

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

Richa Bhala

x

Boris Bulayev

x

Avi Das

x

Will Havemann

x

Noah Isserman

U

Marco LoCascio

x

Anoop Menon

x

Jacob Thomas

U

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

Avery Armour

x

Ali Berman

x

Raj Borsellino

x

Daniel de Zeeuw

x

Ali Khan

x

Spencer Robins

x

Erika Sams

x

Josh Stein

x

TOTAL SENATORS

x

 

 

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 

Ryan Park

x

David Scherr

x

Ian Shin

x

Ryan Smith

x

Roslynn Graves

x

 

II. Call to Order (9:04 PM)

 

III. Approval of the Minutes

Dan: Motion to approve the minutes.

Will: Second.

Mira makes corrections.

Minutes are approved by unanimous consent.

 

IV. Officer Reports

A. President

Ryan Park: The Mods residents are meeting right now and they will be told that it was decided that the Mods are going to be freshmen housing again next year. We talked about the gender quota in the College Council and it is going to stay the same. This week we are talking about opting out and dorm damage. Eddie Garcia is here to do a survey on the composition of the AAS. To the freshmen, we are doing committee elections today and hopefully you are prepared for that. Freshmen are not required to serve on committees because logistically it is difficult, but you should be running for something today. The last thing I have is the Gramps memorial. I met with Diana in the Development Office and we are going to put a plaque up in Valentine dedicated to Gramps. It is to the right of the card-swiper place where he always sat. We want an AAS member to work with them. It should be someone who knew Gramps. It is only a couple meetings.

Elan: I will help out with that.

Ryan: The Alumni Office offered to help pay for this but I wanted the AAS to pay for it because it’s a student thing. I would appreciate if someone would motion it in the special orders.

V. Announcements

Rania: Junior class council meeting after this meeting.

Elan: Senior class council meeting after this meeting.

Richa: Sophomore Class Council meeting after this meeting.

Marco: We met with the trustees. We got 400 votes from the students. It showed a strong support for the open curriculum. Another major point was that our advising system is not responding adequately. These are all issues we addressed with the trustees.

Dan: Have you talked to Dean Griffiths at all?

Marco: No.

Rob: Masspirg is in the process pf choosing its campaign for next semester. If any of you have issues you want us to take up please let me know.

Elan: Has Masspirg passed their referendum?

Rob: No, in the spring.

Rob: We are also looking for candidates for the Honorary Degrees Committee that are not alumni.

Dan: I wanted to remind you that you said you would start posting the agenda on the Jolt.

Esther: Would taking the Senate seal off help in opening the attachment?

Dave: Maybe, I will try that.

Mira: The faculty at the last faculty meeting moved to remove President Marx from the CAP. The faculty has been arguing that it is inappropriate for him to be there. They are going to talk about this at the next meeting.

Ryan Park: Dining Services Committee please meet.

Gabe: If you guys are coming to a conclusion that requires budgetary change that is in issue we can take up with the CPR.

VI. Special Orders

A. BC Funding Recommendations

Requestor

Requested

Recommended

Allocated

Bradley Shuttle

3,100.00

$3,100.00

$3,100.00

Black Men’s Group

2,190.00

$1,368.20

$1,368.20

PSA

500.00

$500.00

$500.00

Art Club

$320.00

$500.00

$500.00

Total

$6,110.00

$5,468.20

$5,468.20

Marco: How realistic was it that students would participate in the art show?

Ian: The art show has one curator. She has one artist participating. She has arranged for a lot of vans to be reserved to see the show. My reservations about art club events previously were that they come forward for exhibitions where artists sell their works. This event was appealing to many students and is pooling small colleges together. The art show would display student artwork. The invitations were funded by the interdepartmental fund.

Avi: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 1 BELOW. BC Funding Recommendations: MOTION PASSES: 29-0-0.

Avi: Motion to fund Gramps’ plaque.

Marco: Second.

Avi: I think it is really important that students fund this. The current students of Amherst should fund his memory as opposed to the past students.

Esther: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 2 BELOW. Fund Gramps’ plaque – MOTION PASSES: 29-0-0.

 

B. Committee Elections

1. Committee on Priorities and Resources

Nominations: Avi, Richa

Richa: I would like to be on the CPR primarily because I don’t have very strenuous time commitments as to committees at this time. I think I would be a good person for this committee. I am very concerned about where our school spends its money and it is an important issue especially with so many changes going on. It is important to have a stand out voice on some of these committees. I think I will be a strong voice on this committee

Avi: The CPR is very important. You go over the budget. I am really interested in this. I am on the BC this year because I think that students don’t really understand or know the direction that the school is spending its money. I would like to do this on a larger level. I think I would be a pretty good candidate. I am fairly responsible this year as opposed to last year for those of you that know me.

Richa is elected.

2. IT Director Search Committee

Nominations: Raj, Ali, Steve, Marco

Raj: I have given a lot of thought to this. I am new here, I don’t really know much about computers, and it would be important to have someone who doesn’t know a lot about them. I am willing to put in a lot of hours and make sure this works out.

Ali: I’m not into computers but I would see myself as some kind of organizer. It is really important to have a good IT system at this school. Sometimes we take it for granted. A little program can actually screw up all of our computers. I would put in a lot of work and can organize.

Mira: Does everyone know that this is about hiring an IT Director and not IT policy?

Marco: I have kind of been through every IT problem they have a name for. I would bring to this committee the idea that someone they hire has to deal with student problems. I consider myself above average in computer literacy. In terms of network stuff I am not that comfortable. It can be really frustrating when you wake up and your internet is entirely cut off. The priority of the committee would be addressing the issues of the students by the IT Director.

Stephen: I’ve been working for the IT Department for the last 3 years. I this summer I worked in D.C. as an intern. I know the staff really well. I went to the going away party for the old IT Director. The IT Department is bending over excessively for faculty members and not students. An IT Director should bring back hardware repair to the college. We are sending students to UMass and I think we should really work on that. Amherst College is falling really behind on IT. We should work much more in keeping up. We should have a better vision for the future.

Raj and Stephen are elected

3. Five College Student Coordinating Board

Nominations: Erika

Erika is elected by unanimous consent.

4. College Council Freshman Seat

Nominations: Daniel, Josh

Daniel: The College Council seems to be the reason I wanted to be on the Senate. It affects students’ lives day to day. This is where students can honestly say what they know what they think. I have been on committees before and I think I can do the work. I know I can listen to students.

Josh: I looked over the sheet that was sent to me and I think I fit well into the College Council. I was the founding member of the student senate at my high school. I started an organization for kids with Down syndrome and it went national. I personally try not to cheat in so far as intellectual responsibility. I did a lot of housing placement for an organization I worked with over the summer.

Daniel is elected.

 

VII. New Business

A. Executive Advising Tasking Force

Ryan Park: There has been a lot of talk about advising and whether there are steps the students can take to improve the system. We had a good discussion with the trustees about this issue. This isn’t necessarily a committee in the traditional sense. We want to present a report to the CAP and have them consider this in their long-term plans. I was thinking we would keep it small, 2 or 3 senators. We would mainly look at pre-major advising and what we can do to improve it. It shouldn’t be too big of a time commitment.

Gabe: Do you guys already have a plan?

Ryan Park: Surveys is definitely the first thing we will do. We will also study other schools.

Elan: Is this something we are still pursuing in the Trustees Advisory Committee on Student Life? Is this going to distract our job in that committee?

Marco: I think with the Trustees Advisory Committee we have trouble arranging for times to meet and meeting with them is not often. It is useful to make the focus on making the recommendation to the CAP.

Ryan Park: Theoretically that could be an extension to this committee. I don’t necessarily feel it is something that requires to have a specific or a direct line with the trustees. I think it would be good to work with the faculty and the administration.

Will: If you are on the JC, can you be on this committee?

Dave: Yes.

Nominations: Boris, Ali, Esther

They are all appointed.

B. Guidelines to use of the voting booth

Dave: There were some questions about using the voting booth for surveys.

Elan: I don’t know if you want to separate the definition of survey from referendum. I think it is not very good if we are having surveys that are not even announced in the Senate. I think we should follow similar procedures to our referendum guidelines. We should at least announce them in the Senate. I don’t know if you want a constitutional referendum or a bylaw change.

Richa: I agree with you I apologize for any confusion. I also think that the virtue of a survey that it is informal and doesn’t involve the bureaucracy. We actually got something done because it was spontaneous. I don’t think we should change the bylaws or anything like that. It is a lot easier if we keep the bureaucracy out of it.

Christian: I have no problem with multiple surveys going up. I think there could be a problem with the way we set it up. I know I thought we were voting on a referendum when I first saw it. We shouldn’t have a lot of red tape around it.

Marco: I also ran a survey last week. I was confused as to how it is going to go up. The webmaster is planning to introduce a different section for surveys and referendums. That will help the problem I think. I also think it would be good for surveys to be run by the Senate so we would need a bylaw change.

Ryan Smith: if we want to make it so that the surveys can’t just go on there, we can kind of define the survey as a referendum. We don’t really have to change anything if we do

that.

Ryan Park: I think it should have to go in front of the Senate before it goes up. I think someone should charge someone with making a bylaw amendment.

Justin: I think it is kind of dangerous to have anyone be able to run a poll. If they decided to go through one of the ideas that wasn’t one of the most popular things that the students wanted then it doesn’t really look good for the Senate. If we could have approved the list of things going up would have been better.

Mira: I can see everyone wanting to do a survey all of the time because everyone thinks their committee work is important. I would like to charge Ryan Smith with that. I don’t want it to be a referendum. I don’t think it is asking too much for people to go to the Senate.

Richa: I just want everyone to step back and look at the layers of bureaucracy we have now. Before I ask what my constituents want who elected me to represent them I have to ask the Senate and then post the poll.

The JC and Elan are in charge of the bylaw.

 

VIII. Adjournment (10:02 PM)

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

VOTE DESCRIPTION:

 

1 BC Recommendations

 

2 Plaque for Gramps

 

SENIOR SENATORS

1

2

Elan Ghazal

Y

Y

Steve Hollister

Y

Y

Esther Lim

Y

Y

Gabriel Mattera

Y

Y

Arpan Podduturi

Y

Y

Daniel Reiss

Y

Y

Christian Sanchez

Y

Y

Justin Sharaf

Y

Y

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

Rania Arja

Y

Y

Rob Cobbs

Y

Y

Viet Do

Y

Y

Techo Kim

/

/

John Lian

Y

Y

Stephen Scriber

Y

Y

Mira Serril-Robins

Y

Y

Mike Simmons

Y

Y

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

Richa Bhala

Y

Y

Boris Bulayev

Y

Y

Avi Das

Y

Y

Will Havemann

Y

Y

Noah Isserman

/

/

Marco LoCascio

Y

Y

Anoop Menon

Y

Y

Jacob Thomas

/

/

 

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

Avery Armour

Y

Y

Ali Berman

Y

Y

Raj Borsellino

Y

Y

Daniel de Zeeuw

Y

Y

Ali Khan

Y

Y

Spencer Robins

Y

Y

Erika Sams

Y

Y

Josh Stein

Y

Y