AAS SENATE MEETING

September 22, 2003

 

I. Attendance

 

SENIOR SENATORS

6

Kay Bradley

X

Geoffrey Brounell

X

Arshia Choudhury

U

Mihailis Diamantis

X

A.J. Korytoski

X

Lincoln Mayer

X

Luke Swarthout

X

JUNIOR SENATORS

 7

Ethan Davis

X

Rosalyn Foster

X

Gabriel Mattera

/

Daniel Reiss

X

Christian Sanchez

X

David Scherr

X

Justin Sharaf

X

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 7

Rania Arja

X

Taamiti Bankole

X

Caleb Deats

X

John Lian

U

Molibi Maphanyane

X

Mira Serrill-Robins

X

Ian Shin

X

Matt Vanneman

X

TOTAL SENATORS

 20

 

 

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 5

Andre Deckrow

X

Elan Ghazal

X

Alex Linden

X

Ryan Park

/

Paris Wallace

X

LEGEND:

 

 

 

 

 

x = Present

 

 

 

 

E = Excused Absence

 

 

U = Unexcused Absence

 

/ = Half an Absence

 

 

 

II. Call to Order (9:03 PM)

 

III. Minutes from last meeting (9:04 PM)

Luke: Motion to postpone approval because of a lack of budgetary information – Passed.

IV. Officer Reports (9:10 PM)

Alex: All school emails can only be sent out if it is an emergency. We should only be sending out our weekly announcements. Also, freshmen elections is coming up. Matt, maybe you want to talk about that.

Matt: Speech night is Thursday at 9 PM in James. It would be great if you could come out to show your support.

Matt reads the list of candidates.

I need people to come help out with the Valentine election booth. I am taking volunteers.

Alex, Ros, and Luke volunteer.

Those working will have to pick up or return the computers depending on when their shift is. The people working in the evening will do the same.

Alex: Please remind friends and classmates to vote. Next is the AAS gear. The t-shirts bought last year will be sent to my box. We should have some sort of AAS gear this year. If you are interested in being in charge of that please let me know. Andre is running the show for community teas.

Andre: The JC had a public comment session. We met and made some changes on the proposed criteria and need to fix current by-laws.

Andre reads the by-laws.

Hopefully you can get to fixing the constitution so that we can get working on this.

Luke: Can you send it out so that we can look at the changes?

Andre: Yes, we can start the process in two weeks, maybe we can do it as a

special order next week.

 

V. Announcements (9:18 PM)

Alex: This is Katrina, our new recording assistant.

Elan: Welcome. Rania?

Rania: Dan and I are working together on the free laundry. We met with the Maytag company and I brought it up to the CPR company. There is a ten year contract that prevents us from doing anything until 2012.

Ryan: Could the ad-hoc committee for file sharing meet after the meeting?

Christian: Any publicity with the Wednesday meeting with President Marx?

Andre: Progress on Community teas – I am going to act like we haven’t approved to fund the community teas. I am going to look for funding so that we can have them. It’s not in the budget now, I prefer AAS doesn’t pay for them.

Paris: What is the deal with the meeting with President Marx?

Elan: The meeting with President Marx is in the Red Room with the Senate.

Matt: Point of information – How long with the meeting be?

Elan: Not too long

Paris: BC meet for two minutes after the meeting

Justin: Is the Wednesday meeting mandatory for AAS?

Elan: Yes.

 

VI. Special Orders (9:27 PM)

Elan: If you are in charge of an event, we would appreciate you abstain from the vote because of a conflict of interest. I can’t make you but I encourage it.

A. Budgetary Committee Funding Recommendations

REQUESTOR

REQUESTED

RECOMMENDED

%

ALLOCATED

%

Prism

$2,000

$2,000

100%

$2,000

100%

Amherst Christian Fellowship

 

 

$300

 

 

$300

 

 

100%

 

 

$300

 

 

100%

Ryan Park (New York)

 

$1,342

 

$2,120

 

158%

 

$2,120

 

158%

3d

$1,375

$1,163

85%

$1,163

85%

Amherst Capoeira Club

 

$3,000

 

$2,100

 

70%

 

$2,100

 

70%

Water Polo

$1,129

$1,129

100%

$1,129

100%

SoCo

$15,000

$9,500

63%

$9,500

63%

ASA

$450

$0

0%

$29

6%

ISA

$200

$150

75%

$150

75%

TOTAL WEEK 3

$24,796

$18,462

74%

$18,491

75%

PERCENTAGES

25%

19%

74%

19%

75%

 

Dan: How does SoCo justify $6000 for one party?

Paris: We didn’t require them to have a contract. Most of the money is

going to a band they hope to get.

Roz: Motion to pass Budgetary Committee recommendations.

Interrupted by ASA member.

ASA: We didn’t get the money because we didn’t advertise the event to

the entire community. We didn’t get the email from AAS until the night beforehand so we didn’t have the chance to advertise. Since the conference already happened, all we are asking for is reimbursement for toll and parking fees. We also had some problems with the van. We are recommending to update the AAS van’s availability.

Luke: Motion to divide the budget and the SoCo issue – motion passes.

Elan: Which would you like to discuss first?

Luke: BC

Paris: How much for tolls?

ASA: $29

Ian: Motion to amend ASA’s request.

Mihalis: Call a question. Motion to pass $29.

Luke: Second

Elan: Motion passes.

Roz: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 6 BELOW. Motion to pass Budgetary Committee funding recommendations with $29 for ASA without SoCo funding: PASSES 20-0-0.

 

Luke: Comment – What I read in the email was an explanation that SoCo went over budget last year. A lot of the funding had to go to that and the inflation complaint keeps coming up. Can SoCo provide a detailed report to were money is going because we are funding the debt.

Eric: SoCo runs over budget every year because we never get an increase. If adjusted for inflation our budget would increase. You have two events in front of you that are proposed – Themes of Amherst and the Sphinx Party. We want to be able to offer good events on campus every semester but because of the budgetary constraints we can’t do that. The weekend we are playing Williams, since it is away this year, we want to have a major band. These are two events and don’t have anything to do with the inflationary increase but I do think you should raise the budget next semester.

Mihalis: Is the weekly band issue up?

Eric: The BC said we can bring the band issue up. I would like to have a live band every Friday night.

Mihalis: What does a band run?

Eric: $300-$400

Mihalis: TAP DJ?

Eric: A student DJ is $300.

Dan: Have you tried approaching other venues to get bands?

Eric: Program Board and SoCo are working together. We haven’t begun working on bands because we don’t have funding on it yet.

Luke: I would like to recommend it back to the BC.

Paris: SoCo gets $10000 from us.

Rania: I don’t know if I want to give $6000 to one party. Is it possible to get an itemized list?

Eric: It’s hard to begin the exploratory process unless I know you are going to fund it, and also a lot of things are last minute. I can try to do it but it won’t be much better than what you already know.

Mira: I want to point out that SoCo has to submit check requests and so we are going to know where all of the money is going.

Justin: You want $6000 whereas you spend $19000 all year? How do we know the party is not going to get shut down in an hour?

Eric: Since we use the same money all the parties are the same. If you want the parties to be better it is your decision. The only reason it would be shut down would be from complaints from the people living in Hamilton but that shouldn’t be a problem.

Matt: This is the one thing that caters to the entire campus…a lot of money but a lot of fun. We should pass it.

Paris: How many people fit in Hamilton?

Eric: 300

Paris: So how is the whole school going to be able to enjoy it?

Eric: There isn’t anywhere where we can hold the whole school.

Paris: Can’t we do it somewhere else since it seems like a lot of money for something that doesn’t include the whole school?

Eric: Valentine is a possibility.

Mira: This was voted for because it was going to be a big ticket event. There are going to be a lot of other big events happening.

Elan: Last year for the Spring Formal there was no line item. If you vote for this there will just be the $6000 with no line item.

Paris: I am not going to just give the money so that people can use it at the end for t-shirts, dinners, etc.

Elan: Motion to call question.

Matt: Point of information- Can you repeat what we are voting for?

Elan: $9500 for SoCo.

Mihalis: Objection – divide issues between Themes of Amherst and Sphinx Party

Elan: Motion passes

Luke: Call to question – themes of Amherst

SEE VOTE 7 BELOW. Motion to pass Themes of Amherst funding: PASSES 17-0-1.

 

Ethan: Sphinx Party

Justin: Objection – They have to show Paris what they are spending the money on.

Elan: They spend the money on whatever they want because there is no line item. There is no control method.

Paris: Usually we require people to give a contract before the event happens. If they decide to completely change the party as long as there are legitimate receipts that have to do with a party we would have to pay for it since there is no line item.

Gabriel: To get them to submit their proposal in line item how do you do it?

Elan: Have to recommit

Gabriel: Motion to recommit. I don’t think its going to accomplish anything.

Gabriel: Wouldn’t it be a better idea if people at least know where the money is being spent?

Luke: If we want to have SoCo have better events we would need to take part in the party planning. It is a bad idea to recommit because SoCo is the one planning it.

Christian: I agree, SoCo does a good job of planning.

Molibi: Any organization has to give a detailied account of how the money is being spent.

Paris: If it was any other club than SoCo would we would have said no. It’s not the best way to use special treatment.

Lincoln: Cohan is next to Hamilton and so a noise complaint may be filed. If Eric can change it significantly and bring it back to the BC I don’t think it is going to help and we should move on.

David: Question called.

Elan: Commit to BC – motion fails. Back to discussion on Sphinx.

Paris: They have the $6000. We have the credit card and petty cash is available.

Lincoln: Question.

Elan: We are going back to one objection. There are too many pity seconds.

Gabriel: Can’t make a decision based on his integrity.

Lincoln: Call a question.

SEE VOTE 8 BELOW. Motion to pass Sphinx Party funding: MOTION PASSES 11-7-2.

 

VII. New business – Honor Code (9:51 PM)

Ryan: Student committee hopefully of senators but doesn’t have to be to discuss

issues on a student prospective. I would like volunteers for an ad-hoc committee. It is going to be a fairly large time commitment.

Andre: Is or is not an AAS ad-hoc committee?

Ryan: It is at this time unless there isn’t enough people.

Andre: How big?

Ryan: 6 people

Molibi: Look at 6 schools?

Ryan: Yes

Mihalis: Move to make a committee titled the Honor Code Exploratory Committee – AAS government.

Elan: When do you intend for them to give a report?

Mihalis: A month’s time will be the first report and the reports Mondays after that.

Elan: Ad-hoc committee has been formed. Any nominations?

Nominations take place.

Elan: Any objections

There are none.

Elan: Ok. Congratulations.

 

VIII. Adjournment

Ian: Motion to adjourn.

Matt: Second

Elan: Meeting adjourned. (9:59 PM)

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

Vote Description Summaries:

6 BC Funding Recs 9/22/03 (w/ $29 for ASA, w/o SoCo Funding)

7 Themes of Amherst Funding (SoCo)

8 Sphinx Party Funding (SoCo)

 

SENIOR SENATORS

6

7

8

Kay Bradley

Y

Y

N

Geoffrey Brounell

Y

Y

Y

Arshia Choudhury

/

/

/

Miahilis Diamantis

Y

Y

Y

A.J. Korytoski

Y

Y

Y

Lincoln Mayer

Y

Y

A

Luke Swarthout

Y

Y

Y

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

Ethan Davis

Y

Y

A

Rosalyn Foster

Y

Y

Y

Gabriel Mattera

Y

Y

N

Daniel Reiss

Y

A

N

Christian Sanchez

Y

Y

Y

David Scherr

Y

Y

N

Justin Sharaf

Y

Y

Y

 

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

Rania Arja

Y

/

N

Taamiti Bankole

Y

Y

Y

Caleb Deats

Y

Y

Y

John Lian

/

/

/

Molibi Maphanyane

Y

Y

N

Mira Serrill-Robins

Y

Y

Y

Ian Shin

Y

Y

N

Matt Vanneman

Y

/

Y

 

 

 

 

Y = Yes

 

N = No

 

A = Abstention

 

/ = Not Present for Vote