AAS SENATE MEETING

Monday, March 22, 2004

 

I. Attendance

SENIOR SENATORS

8

Livia Angiolillo

E

Jim Beck

U

Kay Bradley

X

Mihailis Diamantis

X

Lincoln Mayer

X

Preston Scheiner

X

Blake Sparrow

U

Luke Swarthout

X

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

Ethan Davis

X

Rosalyn Foster

X

Jin-Young Kim

X

Arpan Podduturi

X

Daniel Reiss

X

Christian Sanchez

X

David Scherr

X

Justin Sharaf

X

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

Rania Arja

X

Taamiti Bankole

X

Caleb Deats

X

John Lian

/

Stephen Scriber

X

Mira Serrill-Robins

X

Ian Shin

X

Matt Vanneman

/

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

Richa Bhala

X

Avi Das

X

Noah Isserman

X

Marco Locascio

X

Gloria Monfrini

X

Levan Moulton

X

Christina Ryu

/

Jacob Thomas

X

TOTAL SENATORS

 

 

 

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 

Elan Ghazal

X

Ryan Park

X

Ryan Smith

X

Di Shui

X

Paris Wallace

/

LEGEND:

 

 

 

 

 

x = Present

 

 

 

 

E = Excused Absence

 

 

U = Unexcused Absence

 

/ = Half an Absence

 

 

 

II. Call to Order (9:03 PM)

 

III. Approval of the Minutes (9:03 PM)

Roz: Motion to approve the minutes.

Levan: Second.

Minutes are passed by unanimous consent.

 

IV. Officer Reports (9:05 PM)

A. President

Ryan Park: The Committee on Club Sports met and we decided that we are going to bring a policy brief in about two weeks. Matt did some research comparing our funding obligations with those of Williams and the conclusion is that we are clearly overburdened. Hopefully we will have another report next Monday. The ashtrays are in and hopefully those will be around. I also talked to President Marx and Dean Lieber about having a financial stipend with the phones and that is not going to work out. Another thing, I talked to the NOTE people and some people from the IT Department and we decided to have the webmaster make our own voting booth so we don't have to rely on NOTE anymore. One more thing, does anyone want to do the hunger cleanup with me on April 3rd?

Gloria, Marco, Richa, Luke, and Dave volunteer.

B. Secretary

Di: I am still screening two people for the programming aspect. Our new webmaster that will be maintaining the website is Jason Merill.

Luke: We may want to look into buying some software for that.

C. Treasurer

Paris: I have scheduled a meeting on Wednesday night at 9 PM for Program Board and SoCo. Everyone is welcome to come.

D. Vice President

Elan: We are going to be meeting in Fayerweather 115 next Monday.

D. JC Chair

Ryan Smith: We have a couple of clubs we are looking at de-recognizing. We are waiting to see if they will submit budgets. We are also meeting with some of the new clubs that are requesting recognition. Heads up to the BC members because I am going to send an email to the contacts of the new clubs to send their budget stuff to the you since budgets are due on Friday.

Paris: It is unconstitutional to do that. They have to be recognized 2 weeks before that.

 

VI. Special Orders (9:18 PM)

A. Weekly BC Funding Recommendations

Requestor

Request

Recommended

Allocated

Rugby Ref

$450.00

$450.00

$450.00

Spring Concert

$7,800.00

$0.00

$0.00

Feminist Alliance

$150.00

$150.00

$150.00

Holocaust speaker

$5,500.00

$0.00

 

$2500.00

DASAC

$2188.00

$1750.00

$1750.00

Newman Club

$150.00

$150.00

$150.00

Lincoln: How much was the AFA speaker?

Paris: $150.

Jessica: I requested the money for the Holocaust speaker. I think it is important for Amherst to have some sort of Holocaust event. We haven't had a program in 20 years. This speaker is one of the original members of Schindler's List. I am $3250 short.

Luke: Motion to pass the BC funding recommendations.

Avi: Second.

Matt: Where did you get the money Jess, and if we funded $2500, where would you be getting the rest from?

Jessica reads list of where she is getting funding.

Mihailis: Motion to give $2500 to Holocaust speaker.

Mira: Second.

Mihailis: This group seems to have gone to a lot of resources for funding and this is the type of activism we want to encourage in clubs and we should reward them.

Lincoln: I was wondering why the BC was throwing around $2500 and then decided on $0.

Paris: I think one of the considerations was how much money we had given to other speakers so far and this is the second largest allocation we have given after Al Sharpton. We were doubting the organization of the event, but they have pulled together.

Matt: Move to change amendment to $1750. This is more inline with the other speakers. This is a large audience but not a huge audience with a huge name. This figure is more on par.

Jessica: You want innovative programming and you aren't rewarding people for it. It isn't fair to compare this to other speakers since we haven't had this program for 20 years.

Mira: I think this is something we should be behind. She got money from a lot of other sources. I would not support the motion to decrease the funding to $1750.

Ryan Park: Especially considering that she has exhausted all of the other sources we should give them enough money to have the funding.

Paris: We didn't think they could raise the other money but they did raise it.

Justin: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 14 BELOW. $1750 Amend Amendment for Holocaust Speaker - MOTION FAILS: 6-20-3.

Ethan: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 15 BELOW. $2500 Amendment Holocaust Speaker - MOTION PASSES: 23-2-4.

Paris: What happened is we doubled Program Board's funding from $20,000 to $40,000. From what I understand what happened is that they didn't get the first band on time.

Mira: Point of Privilege - There was never any publicity that we had that band. We didn't put in any bids until February. There was no promise that Sean Paul would be performing. He doubled his price so we didn't put the bid in.

Paris: We would be giving $47,000 to Program Board for this semester. They have given very little co-sponsorship. The concert will still happen whether we give them money or not.

Linden: We have given $2000-3000 in co-sponsorship. $40,000 is about 50% of what any comparable school gets for their concerts. For that amount of money that is the type of band you get.

Gloria: Can you tell me the mission statement of the organization?

Linden: We bring comedians, co-sponsorship, concerts, etc to Amherst.

Mira: We bring quality programming to the campus. We publicize our meetings on the Jolt and we will give you a vote right away. In terms of the concerts, if you want big names, UMass will bring them to the Mullins Center. In other schools, they give half of their budgets to programming. We try to do our best and try to get our name out there. I think the argument that we don't publicize is wrong because I post the posters up myself and we have table tents for all of our events. We post on the Jolt and buy baby ads.

Ethan: What is the amount you are asking for?

Linden: $7800.

Ethan: So if we fund this we will have nothing else left for the semester.

Jin-young: We can't afford this.

Taamiti: How much out of Program Board's budget is dedicated to the concert?

Linden: We set aside $40,000 for the concert. We got $40,000 from the BC and $20,000 from the Campus Center.

Taamiti: When Paris was speaking on why the BC chose not to fund the $7800 there was a mention of even if we don't fund this it is still going to go on?

Linden: It is going to be tight. We might have to increase ticket prices. We charge $8 whereas comparable schools charge $10-15. We may get some money from Student Activities.

Jake: This isn't the critical step. Call the question.

Mihailis: Object.

Luke: I like the programming but there is a fundamental difference between us and Williams and Dartmouth and that is that they are in the middle of nowhere. I don't think, given the fact that the biggest place where we can do the event holds 2000 people, you can't get a big enough venue and act for it to work economically. I applaud the BC for having this conversation on Wednesday and given where we are in funding and all of these constraints we shouldn't appropriate funding.

Mihailis: I would like to amend the BC recommendations to give $100 to Paul Warner for his church trip over spring break.

Lincoln: Second.

Mihailis: Jake Maguire came to our last senate meeting requesting $100 for his trip. Paul is coming after the fact but there seems to be a reasonable explanation for that since he wasn't aware the senate gives money for spring breaks trips.

Paul: I would have come to you earlier but I saw it in the paper that he was given money and that is when I emailed Mihailis. I owe my church $300 and I am trying to pay them back.

Paris: I know we funded Jake's trip, but it was a mistake. We paid for his food. We didn't really know what we were paying for. I think we should hear Paul's request but it is already after the fact. He should submit a request. There is still time this week.

Mira: Move the question.

Matt: Second.

SEE VOTE 16 BELOW. $100 Paul Warner for Mercy House Honduras Trip- MOTION FAILS: 7-19-3.

Roz: Call the question.

Mira: Objection. Program Board may have to cancel programming this semester. A couple thousand would help us do some more programming this semester. We are giving some advanced notice.

Lincoln: Move the question.

Matt: Second.

SEE VOTE 17 BELOW. BC Funding Recommendations - MOTION PASSES: 27-2-0.

B. Committee Reports

1. Dining Services Committee

Ian: We are going to keep the conversation going about meal plan options.

B. College Council

Mihailis: We are still discussing proposals for an honor code. This Wednesday we are going to be discussing changes in the faculty/student handbook. There will be a vote in the future.

Paris: Have they mentioned interterm?

Ethan: There has been nothing really productive and it will be discussed next fall.

Elan: How wide ranging is the honor code going to be?

Ryan Park: Right now the proposal is an extension of the three statements we have.

Mihailis: On each instance of an academic infraction it proposes to have a random juror in order to give the sense of a student run honor code policy. Also being proposed is a ritual signing of an honor code which would be incorporated into the orientation. There would also be increased education of the incorporation of outside sources in student work. This will be incorporated into the freshmen seminar. These changes are going to be discussed more thoroughly in the meeting on Wednesday.

Ryan Park: There are just some procedural changes like reporting more detailed cases.

Matt: What is academic probation?

Mihailis: It is a warning which says the next time you will be suspended.

Ryan Park: A major change is a change of language that says the recommended penalty for an infraction is failure in the course.

C. Committee on Priorities and Resources

Rania: Dan and I worked on a report earlier in the year for laundry. We presented it to the AAS and we addressed the price, the difficulty in getting coins, and card machines not working. They are going to fix the machines. In the mean time they have been giving the post office petty cash. We are waiting to hear about the dryer times. The students want to increase it to an hour. A lot of the things we do on the faculty side is confidential.

Dave: $105 million was the operating budget for this year. We started looking at the comprehensive fee that students pay. Now we are looking at faculty compensation. A lot of those numbers are confidential.

Elan: Do those numbers come out in the treasurer's report?

Dave: Some come out but there are some numbers you never see.

Rania: We also had a lengthy discussion on financial aid.

D. Committee on Educational Policy

Dan: First semester we spent a lot of time talking about restructuring pre-registration. There is no more capping in pre registration. The CEP is working on evaluating what areas of Amherst need more faculty representation.

Luke: We do new course approvals also.

E. Committee on Admission and Financial Aid

Ian: We worked on athletics and admissions for the first part of the semester. We are hoping to cut down on the number of purely athletic admissions. We are also working on a program called Quest Bridge. It would help us bring up the number of socioeconomic admissions without dropping academic quality.

Noah: It is a group of students that Amherst doesn't usually reach. NESCAC as a whole has recognized that the recruiting system has many problems.

F. Library Committee

Mira: There is that big event happening that you already know about. When the event gets sooner we will publicize it. We are having a meeting to discuss the top five candidates for librarian. We have been meeting with our current librarian and the Williams librarian. We are going to be having another meeting soon to discuss the library budget.

G. Committee on Health and Safety

Justin: I have never met with anyone in this committee. Dean Lieber is the only person that replied to my email. He is looking into the toilet seat covers.

H. Committee on Physical Education and Athletics

Justin: We have a meeting on Thursday. Allegedly the committee of 6 gave us a new direction. Last semester we met 3-4 times. Gooding wants us to start meeting again. I will report back next week.

Kay: Every NESCAC school is required to have a committee for varsity athletes to have some sort of programming in the school. Our school is the only school in NESCACs that doesn't have an organized group. We are working with professor Kaplan to do that.

I. Info Tech Policy Committee

Jake: We haven't had any meetings since we had our huge meeting.

Marco: You had to register your computer so that they can isolate viruses better.

J. Affirmative Action Advisory Committee

Arpan: We are meeting on Wednesday.

K. Advisory Committee on Trusteeship

Lincoln: We have not had a meeting yet this year. We are going to have a meeting.

L. Committee on Honorary Degrees

Roz: We have a meeting on Thursday to discuss candidates for honorary degrees for next year.

M. Trustee Advisory Committee on Student Life

Luke: The meeting is this week and we will tell you about it next week

N. Space Allocation Committee

Mira: I think everyone got an email about it, or club heads did anyway. There is a meeting this Friday. We are going to review all of the space. If you are on the committee please reply to the emails or come to the meetings.

O. Interdepartmental Student Fund

Mira: We haven't met. We meet sometime in the next month to request. Dean Haynes does the requests under $1000 himself.

P. Residential Life

Roz: We have been allocating funds through the Residential Office for various theme house projects.

Q: Martin Luther King Jr. Committee

Luke: Dolores Huerta came to speak and we will be meeting about speakers for next year.

 

VIII. Adjournment (10:10 PM)

 

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

SENIOR SENATORS

14

15

16

17

Livia Angiolillo

/

/

/

/

Jim Beck

/

/

/

/

Kay Bradley

N

Y

N

Y

Miahilis Diamantis

N

Y

Y

Y

Lincoln Mayer

A

A

Y

Y

Preston Scheiner

N

Y

A

Y

Blake Sparrow

/

/

/

/

Luke Swarthout

N

Y

N

Y

 

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Ethan Davis

N

Y

N

Y

Rosalyn Foster

A

A

Y

Y

Jin-Young Kim

Y

N

Y

N

Arpan Podduturi

Y

Y

N

Y

Daniel Reiss

N

Y

N

Y

Christian Sanchez

A

A

Y

Y

David Scherr

N

Y

N

Y

Justin Sharaf

N

Y

N

Y

 

 

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Rania Arja

N

Y

N

Y

Taamiti Bankole

N

Y

N

Y

Caleb Deats

N

Y

A

Y

John Lian

N

Y

N

Y

Stephen Scriber

N

Y

Y

Y

Mira Serrill-Robins

N

Y

N

N

Ian Shin

Y

N

Y

Y

Matt Vanneman

Y

Y

N

Y

 

 

 

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

 

 

 

Richa Bhala

N

Y

N

Y

Avi Das

N

Y

N

Y

Noah Isserman

N

Y

N

Y

Marco Locascio

N

Y

N

Y

Gloria Monfrini

Y

Y

N

Y

Levan Moulton

N

Y

A

Y

Christina Ryu

N

Y

N

Y

Jacob Thomas

Y

A

N

Y

Y = Yes

 

N = No

 

A = Abstention

 

/ = Not Present for Vote