AAS SENATE MINUTES: Monday 10/21/02 9 PM, Converse Hall Cole Assembly Room

9th Meeting of the ’02-’03 AAS Senate

 

I. Call to Order (9:05 PM)

 

II. Attendance

Julie Ben Mike Jesse Will Stacy

Mihailis Jay Lincoln Blake Luke Geoff Kay

Elan Angie Ali Maria Paige Ryan

Rania Sameer Caleb Andre Techo John Ian Matt

 

III. Announcements 9 07

A. E-Branch

1.  Welcome to Rania Arja ’06, First-Year Class Councilor

- Full freshmen council. She ran on shuttle service.

2.  Valentine Lunch: Monday 12-1:30 PM, Valentine Conference Room

- A table where the senate had lunch together. It was E-branch and Luke, so hope for a better show next time/

3.  Thanks to Those Who Attended “Pizza with the Trustees”

4.  Reminder: Monday 11/18 Meeting Will Begin at 8 PM

Alex: Brought candy and a decorative pumpkin for all.

B. Senate

Ben: A review of all committees. Will read all the committees, when read, tell me the hour commitment to each committee.

Ali: We are getting suggestions for AAS sweatshirts or sweatpants. We decided on sweatshirt with a message on the back.

Jesse: On Halloween, at Brown and RISD have pumpkin carving contest. Give pumpkins out to the campus, and set them out on the freshmen quad.

IV. Minutes of the Previous Meeting (10/7/02) 9:13

Luke: Can we get a summary for minutes rather than line by line?

Approved.

V. Report of the President 9 14

Dave: This is an important meeting, that will determine the composition of the senate. Thank you for coming to the trustee pizza. We should figure out a good time and location for the informal lunch at Valentine. This past weekend, the trustees were on campus, and several meeting occurred. The trustee meeting discussed honor code, weekly chapel, physical plant awareness and appreciation event such as having the student pick up trash for a week promote respect. And as a senate, we should break off into different groups and invigorate aspects of student life.

VI. Report of the Judiciary Council Chair 9 16

Jun: Review and recognition on Thursday and on following Monday.

VII. Report of the Trustee Advisory Committee on Student Life 9 17

Luke: Try to bridge the gap between faculty and students. Discussed disciplinary issues on campus.

VIII. Report of the Treasurer 9 18

Livia:

 

PROGRAMMING:

Riding: 990
G. Choir: 1500, in full, for the pianist, which is analogous with a coach.
BSU: 2075, for Harlem Renaissance. Fund them 275, and 500 in full. 800 for catering, based on the 4/7th rule, 500 for theatrics, comparable funding with other clubs.
Men's Rugby: 600, for EMT in full.
FACE: 80, for study abroad meeting. 70 for food, and 10 for drinks. Comaparable with other clubs that held similar meetings.
SoCo: 1550, for decorations and food fot the theme house presentation. SoCo is providing 1000 already.
Amherst Hamster: 1250, comparable with other publication groups on campus.
SFFC: 504, in full
AFA: 3.15
TOTAL FOR WEEK: $8,898.15, NEW TOTAL: 15,840.05

DISCRETIONARY:

SEAS: 380
TOTAL FOR WEEK: $380, NEW TOTAL: $17,873.60

IX. Special Orders 9 25

A.  BC Funding Recommendations

Mike: Motion to pass. And discuss now.

Eric: Rugby team’s EMT. Will the Athletic dept cover it?

Livia: No

Jolene Negre: VOV is a huge event. We have been fundraising. It is very difficult to raise money.

Luke: Livia, in terms of SoCo funding, I am worried that this should have been covered. Why do they need the money again?

Livia: Regarding SoCo. 1550 is for the Themes of Amherst. There are contracts for two performers. Soco will already fund 1000 of it. We recommended 1550 for decoration and food. Stepping down from chair, I don’t think its necessary, nor do I think it’s appropriate. The 5000 that we granted, it was pretty much a blank check. The other clubs are operating on constricted budget.

Lincoln: We are looking at more budget. SoCO funds are allotted throughout the semester. Themes of Amherst is not only a SoCo event.

Ali: I think it’s reasonable. They went to SoCo and they are coming to us for money.

Will: Do the theme housing have money?

Livia: yes.

Ben: They are requesting it through SoCo?

Eric: SoCo is a sponsor.

Ben: There is a difference between giving money to SoCo and giving it to a specific event coordinator.

Eric: I am the organizer of both.

Angie: Is it possible to get money from other departments.

Luke: How much did Hamster receive last time?

Livia: 2100 to Hamster last time.

Geoff: He (publisher) wants to have more issues.

Luke: In terms of cost per issue, it does have a higher cost.

Ali: It did distribute very fast. It is in color. They want to have a better quality publication. We want to fund nice looking publications. Not bad quality.

Mike: It was color in front and back.

Angie: It did go fast. That may be why you didn’t see it.

Geoff: yield time to Liv

Livia: What they presented as being published is not really what happened. It is essentially color Xeroxes. 1700 is not appropriate. It was humorous, but it was incredibly offensive. Women and minority were not thrilled. I yield back to Geoff.

Geoff: They will address the concerns of readers. They can come back to us in December.

Bob: It is 9 35.

Paige: During review and recognition, they should go to some place cheaper for copying. We should address that if that did not happen.

Luke: Give them 1700 per issue and 200 for flyer. This is already printed?

Livia: No, it will be.

Luke: We should do one issue at 60% and take away the flyer, then if they improve, then we can consider it again for the next issue. Give them 1020 for funding. Gives time to address other issues.

Julie: As for theme house, doesn’t anyone have specific recommendations?

Livia: Can’t do that until voted on.

Mike: The color copies are 1.20. The black and white copies are cheaper. They are not recognized. Give them 60% and tell them no color.

Elan: They did switch companies.

Livia: No they didn’t, they are with Collective Copies.

Ali: OAS is too expensive. Many people already read this magazine, and there is a larger demand now. The reason they can’t have better color is because they don’t have enough money. We shouldn’t be so cheap.

Jeff: Call to question.9 40

Bob: Any objections?

Luke: Object. We should amend the funding to what Mike made. 9 41

They should go black and white and the Indicator has a nicer quality non-xeroxed, and cheaper.

Geoff: I encourage the senate to remember that Budgetary Committee is not being cheap, but intelligent. We are doing our best to fund everything. In terms of Indicator, it is a better product in black and white.

Bob: It is 9 42.

Elan: Have we seconded Luke’s amendment?

Bob: yes.

Niti: I don’t think the color makes much difference. They should make things less offensive.

Livia: two ways to secure they will follow through. We can fund the first one, then decide later with their performance. Or it can go through de-recognition. If it is not followed through, it can be dealt with.

Ali: We are actually giving them 36%. It shouldn’t be our place to censor magazines. It doesn’t mean they are not representing different view points.

Mike: Call to question. 9 46

Will: Object. Please vote to decrease funding for the right reasons. Yes, the magazine is offensive, but consider what price to pay.

Matt: It is not necessarily a matter of free speech. Its just a matter of funding.

Bob: The motion is on the floor. Pass BC recommendation, and an amendment to decrease Hamster funding to 1020. Fist we vote to amend or not, then vote on amended motion or the original motion depending on the passage of amendment,

Geoff: It was original recommendation was 2100.

Luke: still reduce to 1020

Bob: Roll call vote on Luke’s amendment to Mike’s motion. (See Appendix 1 below)

 

18 Y 11 N 1A Motion passes 9 51

 

Roll call vote on amended Mike’s motion (See Appendix 1 below)

23 Y 6 N 1 A passes 9 53 with amendment to change Hamster to $1020

 

X. General Orders 9 54

A. Committee Vacancies: 19 positions total

1.  College Council: 1 position, Class of 2006

Ben: We have discovered that many committees have not been filled in years.

Advisory committee of trustees on trusteeship May never meet. 2 slots.

Heath and Safety relates to safety of faculty staff and students. 1 slot

Library one more slot. We meet director of library committee.

Space allocation committee one senator from each class, and one member of the E-branch. This group decides where student groups get office space.

Interdepartmental Student Fund Elan is already on it. Students can request money from this. 1 spot.

Residential life with dean of residential life. A junior, a senior and one other senator.

Affirmative action advisory to bring to attention the provisions of affirmative action committee. We issue reports to students. 1 slot.

In the past, space allocation committee was a huge committee. Hopefully we can vote for an official list. I was making an executive decision to fill the slots.

Jesse: Since the current constitution does not include some of these committees, have an election.

Bob: We want to get it done. People have been

Blake: are diversity senators allowed to be on committees?

 

Elan: Are we treating these as ad hoc committees?

Ben: I don’t know. So the rules don’t necessarily apply but follow rule anyway.

Luke: We don’t have the people to fill the committees. We shouldn’t set a precedent to treat them as ad hoc.

Ben: It will work if everyone sits on two committees.

Bob: And we can take them to the student body.

Geoff: Residential life committee, any junior or senior?

Ben: I am comfortable with that.

Luke: I think you can say that

Blake: I motion to table the election to next meeting. 10:04

Shaun: Diversity senators will not serve on standing, or faculty committees.

Luke: Amend to elect those that will be meeting in the next week.

Mike: I want to go through election. We will stay past 10 30 anyway.

Elan: We should elect for the current standing committees. Amend Luke by voting on the current standing committees.

Blake: I’ll take it.

Bob: Motion on floor to elect only to standing committees. 10 06

Shaun: The order of election matters. Consider which order they vote on them. Vote on standing committees today, and vote ad hoc later.

Lincoln: Call to question.

Ali: Objection. We should vote now. We need to fill them, and pretend they are real standing committees.

Maria: We should vote on them quickly now. We should get them set, and stop tabling them.

Bob: Vote only on standing committees. 10:09. There are only 3 standing committees.

Shaun: Standing committees only have senators on them.

Bob: Vote only on standing committees.

Kay: Point of info.

Bob: Only one relevant in elections committee. Motion on the floor is to vote only on elections. Voice vote. Unclear, so hands.

9 in favor

15 against

1 abstention

Motion fails 10 12

Mike: Vote in all the other committees.

Elan: Intention was to vote on committees set in writing.

Stacy: Would that be an amendment to vote?

Elan: Vote only on committees in the bylaws.

Mike: Not friendly. Faculty committees are important, so move to question.

Lincoln: What about Úlan’s amendment.

Bob: Moving the question?

Mike: Its getting late.

Luke: Withdraw the question.

Bob: Vote on moving question

25 in favor

0 against

1 abstention

Passes

Voting on the amendment, whether to amend or not. Voice, unclear. Arm vote. 10:16

9 f

15 against

2 a

fails

Vote on original question. 10:18 Vote on all committees.

Passes

Will vote on all committees as listed.

Elan: We are treating them as standing?

Mike: We are voting on them.

 

John College Council
2. Elections Committee: 2 positions

Matt, Techo

3. Advisory Committee on Trusteeship: 2 positions

a.  Description: The Board of Trustees has declared its intent to elect as Term Trustees only those who have been considered by an Advisory Committee consisting of two members of the Faculty and two students.

Livia: Point of information, who is not on two committees.

b. Ali, Niti

4. Committee on Health and Safety: 1 position

Sameer

5.  Library Committee: 1 position

6.  Space Allocation Committee: 5 positions, one for each class, one for an additional member of the E-Branch

Freshmen: Rania

Sophomore: unfilled

Junior: unfilled

Senior: unfilled

E-branch: unfilled

 

Blake: Motion to extend time and cap when diversity senators are dealt with.

Lincoln: cap time for debate.

Blake: maximum of eight minutes.

Bob: Motion on the floor. 10:27.

Eric: 30 seconds per senator.

Blake: will accept that. Call to question.

Bob: Vote, voice vote. 10:28

Motion passes.

 

7.  Interdepartmental Student Fund: 1 position

8.  Residential Life Committee: 3 positions, one for the Senior, one for the Junior, one open to all Senators

Junior: Geoff

Senior: unfilled

Open: Ian

9.  Affirmative Action Advisory Committee: 1 position

Angie Han

 

B.  Diversity Senator Seat Allocations – Presentation, Discussion, & Vote 10:32

Luke: Why are we not treating this not as a sub-committee?

Bob: The difference is that, it is murky as to what it says about this process. E-branch makes initial recommendation, and then voted in. I honored the suggestion to have the groups come and speak.

Shaun: The community must come and appeal, so they must come.

Ted: How is the time structured?

Bob: Each group presents, senate discusses, and vote.

Lincoln: Motion to hear everyone speak, then vote.

Bob: Split them up?

Lincoln: Do people want to vote as block?

Bob: Two ways. Vote after each group presents, or hear all of them, the vote individually afterwards.

Mike: So in both situations we vote individually?

Andre: If they are approved, are they recognized immediately?

Bob: Recognized next meeting. And we will vote after each group speaks, as passed by voice vote.

1.  International Student Association

Dave: E approved 5-0. To voice minority community.

Yuske: International students have real and tangible difficulties. For example, we do not go through need-blind admission. The dorms closing over breaks is a problem, because for many it is expensive to go home. Another, I got jury duty. There are immigration laws, that prevent us to work off-campus. We want to have orientation for international students. We try to build a support system. We pick people up form airports.

Lincoln: Why do you feel the need to have a seat, when you can address them to the senate in a meeting.

Yuske: For the community to have a voice, so that no decisions are passed that harms the community. We can have a cultural interchange.

Mike: I see that senate is supposed to be the representation. I think diversity seats are unnecessary. They can be brought to senators or senates.

Andre: It is in the constitution, so we should vote.

Matt: Call to question. 10 45

Luke: Any discussion about a objective standard?

Ben: We can’t discuss that on ISA’s time.

Bob: We will have 3 minutes to talk about this.

Dave: It is a volatile point. We were trying to recognize silenced groups. It is that they faced distinct problems that have suppressed them in some ways. The idea was initially formed in 1994, when minority groups were denied meeting space to minority groups. This is a provision so that senate can’t silence groups.

Julie: It doesn’t say on the constitution historically silenced on Amherst College campus.

Elan: Have you ever presented any of these problems to the senate before?

Yuske: If this will be addressed by the senate in the future by the senate.

Mike: Point of clarification, none of us were here in 1994, the president denied space. And we can’t discuss, this point in 3 minutes.

Jesse: This is too expansive, and may set a bad precedent.

Judosi: Make this not be a formal feature, but have a programmatic goals.

Lincoln: If you vote on diversity senators, you violate one person one vote. And these groups have never brought this issues to the senate.

Luke: Even the senators have not brought issues to floor. I think the standard is still historically silenced.

Jay: I don’t think that’s relevant.

Ben: I want to know how ISA is historically silenced and why it should be on the senate.

Yuske. I know you spent hours on discussing diversity senators, I was told to write few paragraphs on why we were historically silenced. I was trying to benefit the community.

Bob: Vote whether to grant a seat. Roll call. 10:54 (See Appendix 1 below)

12 Favor 11 against ISA voted in

 

2.  La Causa E 5-0 favor

Alan Vazquez: We don’t want situations in which minority groups feel uncomfortable addressing the senate. To avoid hurtful and bad situations.

Ben: What make you different from other groups? What are the limits?

Mike: People should bring it to the senate.

Alan: It is difficult to bring issues with the senate. The point of the seat is to address these issues.

Elan: So the point you are trying to make is that, unless you are in that minority group, its is difficult to come forward?

Alan: People are uncomfortable?

Elan: How do you feel that the person representing La Causa will be more approachable?

Alan: We have many people under our wings, so they would feel more comfortable talking to us, rather than any senator. We have a personal relationship with them.

Jolene: We should recognize the difference between bringing issues as an outsider or actually having a seat, who can vote.

Jay: Will you allow me to prevote?

Bob: In all fairness, he should be here.

Jay: Since I can’t choose a proxy, I bring a motion to let me vote.

Bob: To appeal the executive decision, need majority.

Mike: Some people are not here so they shouldn’t vote.

Eric: If you are not here, you can’t vote.

Andre: Discussion is necessary.

Ted: The other two groups want the same respect.

Ben: I don’t think we should allow that.

Call to question. Vote to overturn Bob’s decision. Fails, Bob’s decision stands. 11:11

 

Roll call for La Causa 11:11 (See Appendix 1 Below)

14 favor 8 again 4 abstention

 

3.  Pride Alliance 5-0 in favor

Chris Sorrentino: There were many hate crimes. We don’t have LGBT floors or an adequate office. I think having a specific senator helps people to come out. I think that some people came to me proves that people are uncomfortable. In taking this stance, Amherst College will make the point that it is willing to support the LGBT students. If we want to foster a community, I think it’s almost crucial.

Julie: I would hope that groups will feel that they don’t need a diversity senator.

Mike: SoCo was fined enormously. As for other events, the SGO condemned such actions.

Shaun: I feel silenced although I am on the senate.

Chris: We are in a different context as an LGBT community.

Matt: The students were necessarily uncomfortable coming to senate.

Blake: Confidentiality should be honored.

Chris: agreed.

Lincoln: I think we should honor the democratic procedure. One person one vote

Chris: I was elected democratically. Just because some don’t vote doesn’t make any elections less valid.

Shaun: You don’t come out as a Latino or black. People need that representation. It is historically silencing.

Chris: People need that support.

 

Roll Call 11:22 (See Appendix 1 below)

16 favor 6 against 4 abstentions

 

4.  Amherst College Republicans (Politically-Conservative community) 3-2 E

Ted Hertzberg: For politically conservative students, so its not a club but a group of students. Students have difficulty for speaking up for what they believe. I myself have been victimized quite brutally. I have been harassed. I don’t want to make this about myself, but for a group. No matter how this goes, the senate is making a choice between favored and unfavored group. Because 3 of the 4 have been approved, and we are not, the question would be why? If conservative students come to liberal senators, then the liberal senators will not represent them because it doesn’t reflect the other constituents. I think we all recognize this. This is about constitutional prerogative. It is not your right to not fill the seats.

Ali: I thought you would want to get rid of the diversity seats.

Ted: I think it is a bad idea. But it is in the constitution. I want to get rid of these seats. It is the fault of the president of the college democrats that I have to be here and ask for this seat.

Jack: BSU complained about racial profiling. The vast majority of classes mention conservatism.

Ted: Any community that comes to the senate should be given a chance to ask for a seat. If this becomes a problem, we should get rid of these seats.

Eric: I feel uncomfortable as a conservative student. Motion to extend debate by 5 minutes.

Mike: I don’t see the difference between this group and other.

Luke: There is obviously a difference. I will call to question to extend time.

Bob: Voice vote. Unclear. Arm vote.

12/12 tie 2 abstention

I vote to extend.

Alan: I think you should take it with more seriousness.

Ted: I think you should have voted in the election for conservative diversity senator.

Eric: This violates the one person one vote principle.

Ted: I love democracy, but there is an anti-democratic section in the constitution.

Matt: The Republican party has not been historically silenced. Ideology is not necessarily identity.

Ted: I think my ideology is central to me. On this campus, that becomes my identity. The communities addressed here are on campus.

Julie: I am sorry that you were victimized, but that does not stem from a larger social context.

Ted: I think the attacks that I get are linked to my ideology. I thank you for your hypothesis.

Ben: We are allowing one political party to have a seat.

Ted: the democrats are the majority that’s why they don’t come for a seat.

Luke: I want to hear other events of silencing.

Dan Morash: We invited the entire campus to our party, and our republican flag was stolen.

Jesse: How do you differ from the Oregon Club?

Ted: if any one comes to you for a diversity seat, then the senate should grant one as in the section 5 of the constitution.

 

Roll call 11:41 (See Appendix 1 below)

6 favor 17 against 3 abstention

fails

 

XII. Adjournment 11:44

 

 

 

 

 

Appendix 1

 

SEE VOTE 1 BELOW. Vote on Luke Swarthout's amendment to Mike Flood's motion to pass BC funding recommendations by decreasing allocation for "Amherst Hamster" to $1020. Vote on amendment: PASSES 18-11-1

 

SEE VOTE 2 BELOW. Vote on Mike Flood’s motion combined with Luke Swarthout’s amendment to pass BC funding recommendations AND decrease allocation for “Amherst Hamster” to $1020. Vote on amended motion: PASSES 23-6-1

 

SEE VOTE 3 BELOW. Vote on whether to recognize Diversity Senator seat for International students community: PASSES 12-11-6

 

SEE VOTE 4 BELOW. Vote on whether to recognize Diversity Senator seat for Latino/Latina students community: PASSES 14-8-4

 

SEE VOTE 5 BELOW. Vote on whether to recognize Diversity Senator seat for LBGT students community: PASSES 16-6-4

 

SEE VOTE 6 BELOW. Vote on whether to recognize Diversity Senator seat for Politically-Conservative students community: FAILS 6-17-3

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

Vote Description Summaries: 1) Amendment to Passing BC funding recs. 2) Pass BC funding recs. 3) International seat. 4) Latino/Latina seat. 5) LBGT seat. 6) Politically-Conservative seat.

 

SENIOR SENATORS

1

2

3

4

5

6

Julie Babayan

Y

Y

A

Y

Y

N

Ben Baum

Y

Y

N

Y

Y

N

Rocio Digon

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike Flood

Y

Y

N

N

N

N

Jesse Freedman

Y

Y

A

A

A

N

Will Johnson

N

N

N

N

A

N

Stacey Kennard

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

N

Ali Sacks

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kay Bradley

N

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

Mihailis Diamantis

N

Y

N

N

N

N

Jay Gilliam

N

N

Y

 

 

 

Lincoln Mayer

Y

Y

N

N

N

N

Eric Osborne

N

A

A

A

Y

Y

Blake Sparrow

N

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

Luke Swarthout

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

N

Geoff Walter

Y

Y

N

Y

Y

Y

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Elan Ghazal

Y

Y

N

Y

N

A

Angie Han

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Ali Hassan

N

N

N

N

N

N

Maria Jones

Y

Y

N

A

Y

N

Ryan Park

N

Y

Y

 

 

 

Christian Sanchez

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Niti Sardana

Y

Y

 

 

 

 

Paige Wallace

Y

Y

A

 

 

 

FIRST-YEAR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rania Arja

A

Y

N

N

N

A

Sameer Bashey

N

N

N

Y

Y

N

Caleb Deats

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

N

Andre Deckrow

Y

Y

A

Y

Y

N

Techo Kim

Y

Y

A

N

A

N

John Lian

Y

Y

Y

A

A

A

Ian Shin

N

Y

Y

N

Y

N

Matt Vanneman

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

N