AAS MEETING

Monday, September 20, 2004

 

I. Attendance

SENIOR SENATORS

3

Elan Ghazal

x

Steve Hollister

x

Esther Lim

x

Gabriel Mattera

x

Arpan Podduturi

x

Daniel Reiss

/

Christian Sanchez

x

Justin Sharaf

x

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

Rania Arja

x

Rob Cobbs

x

Viet Do

x

Techo Kim

/

John Lian

/

Stephen Scriber

x

Mira Serril-Robins

x

Mike Simmons

x

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

Richa Bhala

x

Boris Bulayev

x

Avi Das

x

Will Havemann

/

Noah Isserman

x

Marco LoCascio

x

Anoop Menon

x

Jacob Thomas

x

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 

Ryan Park

x

David Scherr

x

Ian Shin

x

Ryan Smith

x

Roslynn Graves

x

 

II. Call to Order (9:00 PM)

 

III. Approval of the Minutes

Jake: Motion to approve the minutes.

Elan: Second.

Minutes are approved by unanimous consent.

 

IV. Officer Reports

A. President

Ryan Park: There is some ambiguity as to which senators can attend faculty meetings.

Reads summary.

Marco: What happened with the outdoor basketball courts issue?

Ryan Park: They are willing but there is no space. They don’t know how full the lot will be until winter.

Boris: Can they put them on the lower level?

Ryan: That’s a good suggestion. Also, we walked around the freshmen dorms and talked to them about elections.

B: Vice President

Dave: How many of you have been having trouble opening the attachments I sent you?

Show of hands.

Dave: I will keep working on that. Maybe if I save it as a different file it will work. By next week I will be asking for committee reports. Also, if you are going to second a motion, do it only if you actually agree with the motion. It shouldn’t just be a tool you use out of pity. Last of all, I need to know the names of the sophomore and junior class council chairs.

Richa is the sophomore class council chair. The junior class still has not selected their chair.

 

V. Announcements

Elan: The freshmen elections are going to be on Tuesday, October 5th. We will have a meeting with the freshmen on the 27th of September at 8 pm in this room. Speech night will be on the 4th at 8 pm. We will try to get out emails to the freshmen class tonight and get table tents and posters up tomorrow.

Mira: Screen on the Green on Friday. We will be showing Kill Bill 1 and 2.

Christian: You funded La Causa’s play and it will be this Friday in the Frontroom. Also, we will be tabling for the victims of Hurricane Ivan in Valentine on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Richa: Is Flicks ever going to do anything?

Ian: They are starting this week.

Ian: There is going to be a general Budgetary Committee meeting this week. We are going to go over procedures and will have a question and answer session.

 

VI. Special Orders

A. BC Funding Recommendations

Requestor

Requested

Recommended

Allocated

Figure Skating Club

$60.00

$52.50

$52.50

Chicano/a Caucus

$6,500

$6,500

$6,500

WAMH

$667.10

$357.10

$357.10

AAS

$2,350

$2,350

$2,350

Total

$9,587.10

$9,259.60

$9,259.60

Elan: What is being funded for WAMH?

Ian: We didn’t fund the money for posters. We funded for program guides, button materials, stickers, and button graphics.

Elan: In the future can we have a break down on the recommendations?

Ian: Sure.

Marco: Is the New York Times only available on the weekdays?

Ryan Park: Yes because it would be significantly more expensive.

Avi: Why do we have such a round number?

Ian: With last year’s roll over, we are taking care of left over bills. What we have left over will be put into discretionary and then it will not be such a round number.

Boris: When will the New York Times program begin?

Ryan Park: If it gets passed tonight it will start tomorrow.

Elan: I want to amend the Chicano/a Caucus to $0 until they find a larger room than Stirn Auditorium.

Esther: Second.

Elan: Stirn Auditorium’s capacity doesn’t seat all of the delegates and a large group of Amherst students. I was hoping we can open this up to a greater room like Johnson Chapel.

Techo: That actually came up and the problem was that they have a presentation that has to be done in Stirn.

Chicano/a Caucus Representative: We do actually have Johnson Chapel reserved and we are trying to see if they can accommodate us.

SEE VOTE 1 BELOW. Motion to amend the Chicano/a Caucus funding to $0 – MOTION FAILS: 3-21-0.

Gabe: Can we make a motion that their funding is contingent on the space?

Elan: That was my motion.

Chris Sorrentino: What is going on?

Dave: The recommendation stays the same.

Gabe: Motion to increase the budget on behalf of The Indicator.

Ian: The reason that they are not on the recommendation is because they didn’t come to us on time.

Dave: Since there is nothing on this motion that has anything to do with the BC recommendations we can discuss it afterward.

Mira: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 2 BELOW. BC funding recommendations – MOTION PASSES: 23-1-0.

B. CAP

Ian: This used to function as a council for public policy. For example in 1998, the student government took out a loan for computers for the school and that was paid in full last year. Those computers are put in the control of a CAP director which has gone missing for a lack of a better word. What I am trying to do with the editors is revive CAP, and tonight you will be hearing a motion for a sizable amount of money. It needs these resources to function so that we stop wasting money.

Gabe: I motion to fund CAP $2160 for these costs.

Marco: Second.

Gabe: I yield to Josh.

Josh: I am one of the editors in chief of The Indicator. We are requesting the purchase of a new printer because the one we have doesn’t work. We need to print things out in order to edit them. The printer we have picked out is a network printer and that is the reason it is so expensive. We are requesting $1600 for the printer, $400 for a printer toner, $80 for paper, and $80 for legal paper. The reason we are requesting the costs for the toner and paper is that normally this would be included under what is submitted under CAP, but because we didn’t have a director we are trying to do it now. We have two printers in the CAP office right now. Both of them are defunct. If we don’t get this printer and we don’t help facilitate CAP all publications will die.

Elan: Who is going to be facilitating CAP? Are the publications going to be doing that?

Ian: Right now we are convening with all of the editors in chief. All of the publications will be Amherst publications. As we revamp CAP we are going to be restructuring it so that there is an administrator. Right now the council and I are responsible for everything that CAP is doing. We will implement those decisions when they are made.

Avi: They gave a strong argument to the BC. Putting the publications together will help them be more efficient.

Esther: Is this completely student run?

Ian: Yes.

Will: Shouldn’t we wait for CAP to organize itself before we give it money?

Josh: If we don’t get the printer now, we aren’t going to be printing. We did layout this week without the printer and it was a nightmare.

Rob: Is the director of CAP going to be accountable for the tech support? Is the director of CAP going to just be the person charged with keeping these expensive machines reasonably maintained or is there going to be some sort of responsibility?
Ian: One of the options we are considering right now is having IT help out with this. If we are able to get them to provide support for these machines it will be better.

Dan: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 3 BELOW. Motion to fund CAP $2160 – MOTION PASSES: 24-0-0.

 

VII. New Business

A. CAP

Summary of information on the Committee on Academic Priorities (CAP)

Overview

“The Committee on Academic Priorities is charged by the Committee of Six to consult broadly with the campus community to determine the academic needs of the College over the next decade and beyond.

In addition to soliciting the views of faculty, students and staff, the Committee should consult with the governing committees of the college, the Special committee on the Amherst Education working groups, the Advisory Committee for Personnel Policies (ACPP) the Association of Amherst Students the groups organized to address academic areas and institutional needs. The committee is charged to consider as well the practices and ideas of peer institutions.

Some central questions: Is the education that Amherst offers well designed for students whom it currently admits and should ideally admit? Is Amherst keeping pace with important developments in research and teaching? If there should be growth in the number of faculty or academic support staff, where can those resources be used? If there should be an increase in support for scholarship, how should those resources be distributed? How can we attract and foster the development of outstanding faculty members?

The committee is asked to submit it recommendations to the campus community and the Trustees by December 2005, so as to be reflected in these stated goals the coming comprehensive campaign.”

-Excerpted from President Marx’s Draft Charge

“… One possible outcome is the largest increase in full-time employees (tenured Professors) the College has ever seen, and that the CAP should consider how to justify and distribute the increase in faculty. Other topics to be considered by the CAP include class scheduling, learning through experience, service to the community and improving reappointment and tenure decisions”

- The Amherst Student, Mira R. Serrill-Robins

Composition of the Committee:

- President Tony Marx (Chair)

- 6 Faculty members

2 from the social sciences: Professor Basu, Professor Servos

2 from the sciences: Professor Harmse, Professor Williamson

2 from the humanities: Professor Cobbam-Sander, Professor Rabinowitz,

- Associate Dean of Faculty, Frederick Griffiths

- One Staff member (TBD)

- One Student (TBD)

- 2 other members of the administration (TBD)

Duration of the Committee:

December 2004 – December 2005

Comments on the Selection of the Student Member:

Usually, in committees of such magnitude (ex: Presidential Search Committee), the administration handpicks its desired student members. In this case, however, I was asked as President of the AAS to select a member in any way I see fit. I have chosen to leave it up to the senate. I reserve, and will not be timid in invoking, the right to overturn the senate’s decision if I feel that the selection process is sophomoric or does not result in a worthy representative for the student body. I cannot overemphasize the need for a hardworking, dedicated and vocal student to serve, as we have only been allotted one spot, which is less than we historically are given.

If any senator is interested in serving on CAP, please come to Monday’s senate meeting prepared to speak coherently on your own behalf. Alternatively, the administration has no objection to opening the seat up to the student body. We have two months to appoint someone, so there is no time pressure. This is not the manner in which I envisioned selecting the student member, but I will not block it if the senate wishes to do so.

- President Ryan Park 05’

Dave: We have a motion on the floor to open it to the entire student body.

Dan: By opening this up we increase the chances that we have someone that is competent.

Esther: I don’t see why we can’t open up the freshmen election for this committee. I think opening this up will also increase awareness about what this committee is and what it will be doing. Had this committee been there before elections, more people might have run.

Christian: I think this should stay in the Senate. People that run for the Senate should be interested in this sort of thing. The people in this body are going to be the people most interested in this issue. We would be more effective. Rallying information into the Senate would be more efficient if the senator is on a committee.

Marco: I have a question for Ryan. I thought I saw some hesitation on your part to open it up to the student body.

Ryan Park: It is not the matter in which I envisioned selecting the person. As Christian said there are important reasons why senators sit on committees. Hopefully we can have these committee reports to tell us how the committee is going. Under the system we currently have it only makes sense.

Arpan: I echo Ryan’s point. I feel like it is important that the CAP representative be under the jurisdiction of the Senate.

Jake: The all school election is not going to be a helpful thing. I think we have seen a lot of great senators leave because of voting. I think we have a special knowledge of the people that we are working with.

Will: I have a question. Have you talked to the faculty members on this committee?

Dave: Time is not an issue.

Ryan Park: They don’t really care how we go about it. The first meeting is in December.

Will: I don’t think that the argument that students won’t do a good enough job to make the right decision is a good one. I suppose that the members of this body know each other better but I don’t see how that is particularly valid.

Richa: My main problem with opening it up is that freshmen could be elected and as a formerly clueless freshman they really won’t know what areas need help.

Rob: The main argument I am hearing for opening this up is that if people had known this committee would have been available they would have run for the Senate. I don’t think we should be encouraging people to run for the Senate just for a certain committee. I think that is antithetical to the idea of representative government in that they should be representing the people and not their own agenda.

Gabe: As far as communication is concerned, we could have this representative send an email to the senate after each meeting. I think we may want to consider closing this from the seniors and the freshmen. We may want to just have the juniors handle it.

Stephen: Have you already made up your mind to overturn this?

Ryan Park: That was just to prevent people from saying vote for me and that’s it.

Elan: This is kind of outside the constitution because President Marx asked him to find someone.

Ryan Smith: This is beyond the confines of the constitution.

Ryan Park: This doesn’t really matter because I’m not going to just veto it.

Elan: As far as giving information back from the committee to the Senate, I cant remember that we ever did that.

Mira: Point of general privilege – that is not true, we do report back.

Elan: We can exclude a class if we want, there is nothing in the constitution that says we can’t do that.

Avi: Move the question.

Question is not moved.

Boris: How are you going to advertise this position?

Dave: It is up to the elections chair.

Boris: How would you advertise it?

Elan: It depends on what stipulations the Senate put to this.

Boris: People know what the Senate does. People are not going to know what this committee member does. I don’t think you are going to get out the message how important this position is.

Ryan Park: I think this committee member should be elected within this body because that is the way it is structured. The person could be incredibly competent, but the way the Senate works is that you get elected to the Senate and sit on ad hoc committees. I think there are several members of this Senate that are competent to serve on this committee.

Viet: I have a question for Dave. If we open this up to the whole student body, how would the winner be determined?

Dave: I think that would be something we would have to stipulate, but it would probably just be whoever gets the most votes.

Rania: Call the question

SEE VOTE 4 BELOW. Motion to open up the committee position – MOTION FAILS: 6-18-0.

Gabe: Motion to limit the candidates from only the junior class.

Esther: Second.

Gabe: I think they are the candidates that have the most experience.

Marco: I think if the juniors are the most qualified they will make that obvious.

Avi: Move the question.

Question is not moved.

Dan: I noticed something a little bit disturbing. People who were eligible tended on not voting for this to be opened to the school and people that weren’t eligible wanted to open it up. I think we should vote on the actual motion and whether it is most appropriate.

Ryan Park: That isn’t true.

Christian: I think the sophomores are pretty competent.

Rob: Move the question.

Question is not moved.

Gabe: It is not about who is competent; I think that the junior class is more competent in this decision. Nothing against the sophomores.

Viet: I agree with the sophomores. In the junior class a lot of us are new in the Senate so I don’t think we have more experience than the sophomores.

Justin: I don’t think it is a question of who has experience with the Senate but who has more experience with the school.

Boris: I support it being with the juniors because they know more about the school than we do.

Mira: I think juniors have declared their major and have tried to get into seminars and have thought about advisors and going abroad. I think that gives them a different outlook

Ryan Park: We just restricted this from 1200 to 8 people. It is very important to have a hardworking, smart person on this committee and I don’t think what class they are in has too much bearing on this committee.

Steve: If you think a junior is best for the position, vote for a junior.

Will: I agree with Ryan I don’t think necessarily what will make someone a good member of this committee is how much experience they have. A person that is forward thinking and intelligent is more important.

Justin: Are e-board members eligible for this?

Dave: We just limited to senators.

Mike: This is all going to come out in campaign speeches so limiting it is not necessary.

Mira: Call the question.

Motion to limit it to juniors – MOTION FAILS.

Esther: Amend to include the eligible e-board members.

Jake: Second.

Jake: They are equally qualified there is no reason why they can’t run.

Elan: Amend to let JC members run also.

Richa: We can’t have the election tonight because JC members weren’t told and aren’t here.

Dan: I don’t like the idea of adding JC members. I haven’t always seen an equal level of commitment from the JC members coming to the Senate and communicating with us. If it’s going to be a Senate issue, I would rather it include the people I see at every meeting.

Ryan Smith: In respect to move the meeting along here, if we vote to include JC members then we can’t pass it tonight. I think we should vote the motion down so that we can get it done tonight.

Mira: I do not think we should vote to include JC members. The JC elections were a lot less heavily contested. People weren’t expecting them to serve on senate committees other than the JC. The point of making it a senator is that they are at all of the meetings.

Ryan Park: JC members may serve on ad hoc committees.

Justin: I agree, but this isn’t a time sensitive issue.

Stephen: We typically don’t put JC members on committees.

Richa: We typically don’t have e-board members on these committees either. The JC election was very contested unlike a lot of the e-board and senator elections.

Ryan Park: Senators are required to be at these meetings and so we should open it up to the student body if we are going to open it up to the JC members.

Elan: We do have 2 months to vote on this. I don’t think we should rush it tonight. If you want these people to come to the meetings, stipulate it as a part of the requirements of being on this committee.

Will: I don’t think people are necessarily disagreeing with this point because of a time issue; I think it is because the JC members weren’t elected as representatives of their class.

Mira: There is a big difference. They do not have to be at these meetings.

Dan: Move the question

Esther: Second.

Question is moved.

Amendment to allow JC members to run for the committee – MOTION FAILS.

elan: A lot of stuff we said about the JC also applies to the e-board members.

Avi: Call the question.

Motion to add e-board members as eligible – MOTION FAILS.

Elan: Motion - I think we should delay this a little bit longer and get more student seats on this committee. I think considering this is going to affect the students quite a bit, it is bullshit that we aren’t going to have more student input.

Rob: Since there is going to be at least one seat, can we at least just elect one person now?

Dan: We should not postpone because we want the student prepared and we also have been talking about this for 40 minutes.

Avi: There will be fewer of us biting at each other’s neck if we have more seats so we should postpone it

Mira: Motion to not postpone but charge Ryan with getting more seats. I don’t think we should just do this for the sake of doing it. I don’t think putting someone on it would put Ryan in a worse position for negotiating more seats.

Justin: I think we should elect someone now and charge Ryan with getting more seats.

Amendment to not postpone and charge Ryan with getting more seats – MOTION PASSES.

Mira: Call the question.

Motion to charge Ryan with getting more seats – MOTION PASSES.

Jake and Rania are nominated.

Anoop: Electing one member is not efficient.

Justin: Motion to table. I think people should have a week to prepare.

Dave: We did have a week to prepare.

Elan: I think if we have more positions we should table it because we have 2 months. Don’t rush it.

Dan: How many people here have actually prepared to make speeches?

Dave: That is out of order.

Motion to table – MOTION PASSES.

B. “Keeper of the Constitution” Amendment

Ryan Smith: We want to make it someone’s job to hold the master copy of the constitution. This would make it the JC Chair’s job. The JC Chair’s duties are now listed as 9 things and this would be the 10th one. “The JC Chair shall hold the master copy of the constitution and catalog all changes as outlined by article 9 of the constitution”.

Dave: This is officially making it the JC Chair’s duty.

Jake: I think this is something that the JC Chair has to deal with every week and I think this is a natural responsibility.

Rob: The ultimate authority would be the decisions of the Senate?

Ryan Smith: Yes, the only job would be to catalog all changes.

Elan: I think that the Vice President should have this power because he/she is the one that records the motions.

Ryan Park: I wanted to give a little bit of background. This is basically a transition thing. This year, it was given to no specific individual. It seems most relevant to give it to the JC Chair. The e-board meets regularly and they will be able to confer.

Dan: Does this change the title of whoever holds this?

Dave: No.

Richa: Does the order matter in the duties? Perhaps you should put it where it is most valuable.

Ryan Smith: Technically the order doesn’t matter. No one takes precedence over another since the duties are so specific.

Marco: Call the question.

SEE VOTE 5 BELOW. Motion to pass “Keeper of the Constitution” amendment – MOTION PASSES: 22-1-0.

 

VIII. Adjournment (10:37 PM)

 

ROLL CALL VOTES

VOTE DESCRIPTION:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 Amend La Causa to $0

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 BC Recommendations

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 Fund CAP $2160

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 Move CAP Committee election from Senate to student body

5 "Keeper of the Constitution" Amendment

 

 

SENIOR SENATORS

1

2

3

4

5

 

Elan Ghazal

Y

N

Y

Y

Y

 

Steve Hollister

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Esther Lim

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

 

Gabriel Mattera

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

 

Arpan Podduturi

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Daniel Reiss

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

 

Christian Sanchez

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Justin Sharaf

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rania Arja

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Rob Cobbs

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Viet Do

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

 

Techo Kim

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

John Lian

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Stephen Scriber

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Mira Serril-Robins

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Mike Simmons

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

Richa Bhala

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Boris Bulayev

N

Y

Y

N

N

 

Avi Das

Y

Y

Y

N

 

 

Will Havemann

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Noah Isserman

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Marco LoCascio

Y

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Anoop Menon

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Jacob Thomas

N

Y

Y

N

Y