AAS SENATE MINUTES: Monday 11/18/02 8 PM, Converse Hall Cole Assembly Room

13th Meeting of the ’02-’03 AAS Senate

 

I. Call to Order (8:10 PM)

II. Attendance

III. Announcements

Dave went to the five college senator meeting. Another meeting has been set for the Thursday after Thanksgiving break. The senate will be appointing a senator and a seat will be written into the constitution. He will send an email with more information.

Ben announced that three senators will be leaving next semester, and these seats must be filled. Announcements about the seats will go out this Wednesday, and an election will be held on December 10th. All statements of candidacy and amendment proposals are due on December 3rd.

Luke announced that the Faculty Week at Valentine will be the week after Thanksgiving. He urged the senators to ask the faculty members this week.

 

IV. Minutes: 11/11/02 (8:15)

Minor spelling corrections were made and the minutes were approved.

V. Report of the Treasurer (8:17)

Livia announced that this week was the last week to request funding.

VI. Special Orders (8:18)

A.  BC Funding Recommendations, Weekly (ask Livia for figures)

Men’s Ultimate Frisbee $1000

Ski Team $9200, pays for the training passes and lodging.

Women in Science $300

AIDS $185

QUAC $157.50

Scrutiny $1659.37

CAP $190.75

QSA $400

Budgetary Recommendations passed.

Question called (8:22)

Roll call vote (8:22)

25-0-3  passes.

 

B.  BC Funding Recommendations, Spring 2003 Club Budgets*

The senators were allowed 7 minutes to review the Budget. $400 were allotted to QUAC and passed by roll call vote at 8:33 by 19-4-6. A mistake was found on Women’s Rugby, and recommended $150. Matt made a motion to limit speaking time during discussion to a minute, per instance. Because it limits the power of senators, 2/3rd majority was required to pass. A hand vote was taken at 8:35 and passed with 26-1.

During the discussion of the Spring budget several issues were brought up. The treasurer explained that money was allotted to the minimum, and funding was denied for events that did not happen last semester that are planned fro this semester. The committee required extensive proof of activity and the possibility of minimizing the cost. Fencing did not receive funding to further facilitate campus wide funding. The committee also explained that sufficient time is available for the clubs to request more funding during the semester. The BC also required contracts for coaches and instructors. A heated discussion occurred about the publications on campus. Mike Flood expressed that there are too many publications on campus to be all supported, and wished to make a friendly amendment to not fund the publications and gather a committee to review the publications. This idea was both supported and heavily opposed. Arguments for the amendment included that many publications have overlapping staff, and lack in quality. If there is less number of publications to support, more money can be allotted to each publication. Further, there is no reason to continue funding publications that go unread. Others argued that the campus should support the expression of thought, and intellectual community. References to club sports and the validity of Review and Recognition were made. Diversity senators were disallowed to vote on this amendment due to conflict of interest. A roll call vote was held at 9:18, and the motion failed 11-19-2. Then Blake made a motion to make a committee of no more than 7 to review the publications on campus. There were some dissents by Andre, expressing that it undermined the power of the JC. It was voted on at 9:30 and passed by 27-3-3.

 

 

VII. New Business (9:32)

A.  College Council Proposals (Mike Flood ’03)

A straw vote was taken on Mike’s proposal to offer classes at more times of the day, specifically night classes.

 

B.  Various Items (Eric Osborne ’04)

Eric introduced the center for academic integrity, with 250 member school. He proposed that Amherst join this group, with dues of $350, to take advantages of the resources offered. A motion was made to table the decision until more information is available. Blake’s motion was addressed, and a motion was made to elect 7 senators committee to review the publications (9:40): Ali, Andre, Mike, Rocio, Geoff, Chris and John

 

VIII. Adjournment (9:42)

 

 

 

REPORT OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT - Bob Razavi ’03

The 11/11 meeting was one of our most productive in recent memory. We created ad-hoc committees to research and organize an airport shuttle service as well as Direct Deposit for student employees. We passed a First-Year Class Council project that will pit first-year dorms against one another in a friendly game of snow football, alongside a basement open-mic/talent show with hot cocoa, cider, and snacks. We ratified the text of the Distinguished Teaching Award draft letter that hit campus mail this past week, putting what was once an entirely derailed project back on track. And we even found time to take an Oath of Office.

 

This was all the product of individual Senators pro-actively assembling rational and pragmatic proposals, and other Senators enthusiastically seeking to partake in various ad-hoc committee work.

 

It was a model Senate meeting we covered nearly 10 separate pieces of New Business, and did so efficiently and thoughtfully by making use of ad-hoc committees for specialist tasks. Let’s get to work in earnest in committee so these proposals will reach fruition, eventually coming before the Senate for ratification. This is what good senates do, and we’re making respectable headway in our mission to improve campus life in whatever ways we can.

 

 

REPORT OF THE JUDICIARY COUNCIL CHAIR – Jun Matsui ’03

1. Final R&R for the semester scheduled for Wednesday November 20 and Thursday November 21,
both new and currently recognized clubs. Report on this semester's R&R will be out after then.
2. Any suggestions/comments on things to change in the Constitution or Bylaws are welcome. E-mail jymatsui.

 

 

Executive Branch Office Hours (Fall 2002):

President David Bugge ’04E : F 1-2 PM, AAS Office

Vice-President Bob Razavi ’03: M 3-4 PM, Jenkins 202B

Treasurer Livia Angiolillo ’04: Sun 6:30-8:30 PM, AAS Office

Judiciary Council Chair Jun Matsui ’03: W 9-10 PM, Garman 203

 

 

 

 

AAS SENATE MINUTES: Monday 11/18/02 8 PM, Converse Hall Cole Assembly Room

13th Meeting of the ’02-’03 AAS Senate

 

I. Call to Order (8:10 PM)

II. Attendance

III. Announcements

Dave: Went to five college valley senator meeting. Thurs after thanksgiving a meeting. Will be appointing a student and a seat might be written in the constitution. It will be a wonderful venture. Will send email.

Ben: three senators are leaving next semester. We will b e holding an election. Announcements will go out this Wednesday. Actual election will be December 10th. This is also the time to propose an amendment. All candidates due at Dec 3rd.

Luke: week after thanksgiving. Asking the professor this week for the valentine faculty hall. The professor should know, and would say yes.

 

IV. Minutes: 11/11/02 (8:15)

Andre not andrie.

Other correction. III, five colleges, Inc. Alan represents latino/a students community.

Minutes are approved.

 

V. Report of the Treasurer (8:17)

Livia: This week was the last week to request funding.

Ultimate Frisbee

Skiing team

Women in Science for speaker

AIDS and HIV awareness for aids quilt.

QUAC

Scrutiny 60% rule

CAP runs all publications. Manage all the printing.

We didn’t overspend.

VI. Special Orders (8:18)

C.  BC Funding Recommendations, Weekly

Geoff move to accept.

Eric: For the ski team 9200? And 40 people on the team?

Livia: Its paining for training passes and lodging. The things that are most necessary.

Julie: What does it mean to have dashes in allocated box?

Livia: zero

Ben: Can we have 10 minutes to look at the report?

Bob: We are voting.

Question called (8:22)

Roll call vote (8:22)

25-0-3 passes.

B. BC Funding Recommendations, Spring 2003 Club Budgets*

Livia: Request is what they asked, allocated is what is given. Self explanatory. Same rules. You have seven minutes to look at the report.

Women’s rugby. 1.C allocated 150 dollars, not a dash.

QSA 400 for speaker from Umass

Luke: Motion to pass the funding for QUAC.

Roll call (8:33)

19-4-6  passes

Matt: A motion to all speakers speak for no more than a minute during the discussion of budgets.

Mike: One minute total, or one minute at a time?

Bob: Not inclusive of time that is yielded. Needs 2/3rd majority. Hand vote. (8:35)

26-1 passes. Speaker’s time is limited to one minute.

Mike: I motion to pass the spring budgets.

Discussion

Jun: For the premedical society, why were none of the events funded except for publicity?

Livia: They didn’t have any of the contracts secured.

Matt: I motion to go it over club by club.

Bob: Out of order.

Julie: A question about Amherst Photography, and fencing club?

Livia: Photo can come back next semester. And for black student union, none of the speakers secured, no contract, since we are not funding it no need to advertise. And the trip was to go to a wax museum. And an event same as last semester, so they can come back. And need to prove that movie is not in the library. And fencing club, Mihailis decided to come back for discretionary and programming. To program fairly, fencing took a hit.

Ben: Is 800 dollars enough?

Livia: For all the dinners we gave them 50%. For Passover dinner, they have plenty of time to come back.

Jay: For movie nights some got money but not others. Like Hillel and ASA got money but BSU…

Livia: I think some of it was for food, so publicity and the meeting come together.

Jay: What was your discretion?

Livia: If events seem to overlap, we put it together. Some have more for advertising because it is for different nights.

Niti: Can you explain the costumes for different dance groups?

Livia: Amherst dance and DASAC, we decided on how much we gave last semester and if they came back for more.

Jun: Why did Amherst Ballroom not get any money? And for BSU

Livia: The ballroom club doesn’t really have anything. For BSU, the advertising is for everything, and specific events. For Hepcats swings, we didn’t have contract for lessons. And need contract for DJ for the semi-formal. And for decorations, we didn’t know if there would be a semi-formal at all.

Jun: Maybe a semi-formal without a DJ? I think they might need more support.

Livia: I don’t think decoration would necessarily achieve that. QUAC I don’t know why we didn’t give them money. I think it had something to do with publicity, so they should come back for it.

Livia: Sailing team doesn’t have a contract for coach. We already gave them money for boat, they should come back when the season starts. We also bought them new gear. We already granted a lot of money, and they should come back.

Mike: There are more publications than the campus can support. I want to make a friendly amendment to my motion, so that the publication should come and do a presentation for us. I move to not fund publications for now.

Bob: Pass the budget without passing the publications.

Luke: Point of information. I object. Where can we ultimately judge whether a publication was valuable without making comments on content. I don’t know how we would judge that.

Rocio: One clear guideline is that some publications have the same staff. Prism and the Further Room never get picked up.

Matt: This motion should be passed so that it can be thought out.

Andre: Did these issues come up during the BC meeting about the publications?

Livia: No. We are funding them 50% and 10% of whatever other they requested. It’s really minimal.

Mike: They will all end up coming back. I would like to see the leadership of publications come together and have a better quality publication or combine.

Niti: How many are there?

Livia: around 8? Some get in the budgets, some don’t.

Shaun: I think we do have a process of measuring the value, known as Review and Recognition.

Ali: If we are going to cut publications… I think publications are valuable. I think it is nasty to not let them publish their magazine. Lots of people have big parties that no one goes.

Jay: I don’t like this motion. I feel like it’s encroaching upon the ability of these people to reach the students and express themselves. I think there is a natural way for them to be de-recognized.

Lincoln: I think we are applying to publications standards not applied to others, also I feel that we are censoring. These are not in our domain.

Dais: I don’t think all publications are created equal. Some are read regularly. Some are never read. Publications should be the first thing we are funding. I don’t think we should cut money. People’s voices should be heard.

Ben: The amount of money we are giving them is not nearly enough for them to operate. We should take this more seriously and take it to a different meeting. And I think if we have fewer publications we can fund more money.

Mike: For everything we do, there is something we can’t do. We need to consider the benefit we are getting from the amount of money we are spending. I think there is a point to R and R but we should get to know these publications. There is a different demand for publications than the senators realize. I think freedom of speech is important, but giving them more money won’t accomplish anything.

Chris: I have a problem with bring these publications come together. I think it will create more problems. I don’t think withdrawing funding is a good idea.

Geoff: I agree with making sure voices are heard. There is a large portion of the community not being picked up. It’s a waste of trees and money. They are getting thrown out. Many of them have the same editors. As for R and R, we still have to realize many failed to turn in Budgets.

Matt: Publications can be done in other ways. Also R and R doesn’t necessarily control the budget. And we are merely pushing the discussion to next week.

Andre: Once publications are recognized, that should be respected. And we are applying different standards to publications. I don’t think we should not give them money to tell them to do better.

Ryan: I don’t entirely agree with not funding them at this moment. It is a too strict standard. We never say we wont fund a party because no one would go.

Luke: This is a bad time to start this discussion. I don’t think we should make the publications come to us. I think we should have a discussion but this is a bad way to begin one.

Rocio: Yield to Liv.

Livia: Keep in mind that if we don’t fund them they will not be able to publish. We give 60% across the board, but depending on the number of circulation, the effect varies. I don’t think this is appropriate.

Mihailis: we are applying a double standard. These standards are not invoking censorship, but the hope is to bring them to conversation, and encourage a better quality product.

Blake: It is ridiculous to pay for them to be made, and pay to have them recycled. I think Chris had a good idea. I don’t think we should take away all their money. And next semester, we should look at them all, and then consolidate. I don’t think we are at a position to cut money.

Shaun: The money given to athletics is not being questions. Is this a jock school or an academic community? I hope that the senate would respect the other branch of the government.

Eric: We should look at the many groups that overlap. I think the JC should have done a more thorough job. The senate wants this addressed. I think we should review again.

Mike: There are problems in the other clubs as well. Whether we give them money today or not, no money will be spent until next semester. I think it’s relatively costless to have it not allocated now.

Ally: I think it’s a mistake to look at the problems with publications. I think it’s a much more complicated issue. I think we should have a committee and review why we have problems with publications. I think we should have editors of all the publications on this committee. I think we should put our money to better use.

Jun: JC respects senate input in the process of R and R. I think subcommittee is a good idea. Since this was the first semester, we didn’t get to review more thoroughly.

Jesse: I am opposed to this amendment. We don’t hold overlapping dance clubs to consolidate. I call to question. (9:16)

Bob: We will vote on this amendment to this motion. Original motion was to pass budgets across the board. The amendment was to pass except the publications. Diversity senators cannot vote on this. This issue has not been tackled before. This will require a simple majority.

Roll call (9:18)

11-19-2  Motion fails.

Back to discussion on original motion.

Jesse: call to question (9:21)

Blake: I object. Can I make an amendment?

Bob: not yet.

Alan: No money was allocated for the La Causa food night. I wanted to know the new standard.

Livia: They were supposed to have a similar event. Don’t know if it actually happened. Right now we are giving them 7.50 for round of table tents.

Shaun: If you are putting in this much money into club sports. They don’t make a significant impact. There is so much money going into them. If we take money out of them, other groups can be funded.

Luke: I disagree. And secondly, there appears to be no stipulation to any diversity senators voting. I hope that you would agree not to vote, because many diversity senators belong to clubs.

Blake: I would like to make a motion to make a committee to look at publications of no more than 7.

Ali Sacks: a friendly amendment that committee should include the editors.

Bob: That is out of order.

Matt: Call to question.

Eric: Object.

Andre: I oppose. It undermines the power of the JC. It would simply undermine the constitutional power of JC and R and R.

Mike: I think this committee is a great idea. I think there is a lot of waste and overlap. I fully support this, and even more committees formed. I think it makes sense to do them all. Have a straw vote.

Bob: He wants to know if others want to discuss having more ad hoc committee. Yay is after, Nay is now. 10 later, 12 now. It’s Blake’s decision. We will do it later.

Luke: I don’t think it undermines the JC. The budget decides the degree to which these groups. We keep talking about the degree to return, and we should think about having better events. Call to question.

Bob: We will vote. (9:30)

27-3-3 pass

 

VII. New Business (9:32)

C.  College Council Proposals (Mike Flood ’03)

Mike: We are thinking about having classes at more times than offered. We want to have a straw vote, for example, night classes.

Bob: We will vote. It was a straw vote. Mostly in favor.

 

D.  Various Items (Eric Osborne ’04)

Eric: There is a center for academic integrity, with 250 member schools. The whole purpose is to promote academic integrity. It’s a resource center. The dues is $350, and I think we should join. Its not binding, but it implies that we have a database and resources.

Bob: A motion on the floor to join the group for Academic Integrity.

Ben: I don’t think we can vote on it without some documents or information.

Luke: Email us?

Ali: We might as well…

Matt: Call to question.

Eric: I want to table the motion. I will bring more information.

Blake: Motion to table.

Bob: majority votes. Tabled.

Mike: are we going to discuss Blake’s motion?

Ali: The motion to create an ad hoc committee of no more than seven to review the publications.

Bob: Vote (9:40) Passes.

Nominations now.

Ali, Andre, Mike, Rocio, Geoff, Chris, John

VIII. Adjournment (9:42)

 

 

 

REPORT OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT - Bob Razavi ’03

The 11/11 meeting was one of our most productive in recent memory. We created ad-hoc committees to research and organize an airport shuttle service as well as Direct Deposit for student employees. We passed a First-Year Class Council project that will pit first-year dorms against one another in a friendly game of snow football, alongside a basement open-mic/talent show with hot cocoa, cider, and snacks. We ratified the text of the Distinguished Teaching Award draft letter that hit campus mail this past week, putting what was once an entirely derailed project back on track. And we even found time to take an Oath of Office.

 

This was all the product of individual Senators pro-actively assembling rational and pragmatic proposals, and other Senators enthusiastically seeking to partake in various ad-hoc committee work.

 

It was a model Senate meeting we covered nearly 10 separate pieces of New Business, and did so efficiently and thoughtfully by making use of ad-hoc committees for specialist tasks. Let’s get to work in earnest in committee so these proposals will reach fruition, eventually coming before the Senate for ratification. This is what good senates do, and we’re making respectable headway in our mission to improve campus life in whatever ways we can.

 

 

REPORT OF THE JUDICIARY COUNCIL CHAIR – Jun Matsui ’03

1. Final R&R for the semester scheduled for Wednesday November 20 and Thursday November 21,
both new and currently recognized clubs. Report on this semester's R&R will be out after then.
2. Any suggestions/comments on things to change in the Constitution or Bylaws are welcome. E-mail jymatsui.

 

 

Executive Branch Office Hours (Fall 2002):

President David Bugge ’04E : F 1-2 PM, AAS Office

Vice-President Bob Razavi ’03: M 3-4 PM, Jenkins 202B

Treasurer Livia Angiolillo ’04: Sun 6:30-8:30 PM, AAS Office

Judiciary Council Chair Jun Matsui ’03: W 9-10 PM, Garman 203