AAS SENATE MEETING

April 12, 2004

 

I. Attendance

SENIOR SENATORS

10

Livia Angiolillo

U

Jim Beck

/

Kay Bradley

X

Mihailis Diamantis

X

Lincoln Mayer

X

Preston Scheiner

U

Luke Swarthout

X

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

Ethan Davis

X

Rosalyn Foster

X

Jin-Young Kim

X

Arpan Podduturi

U

Daniel Reiss

/

Christian Sanchez

/

David Scherr

X

Justin Sharaf

X

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

Rania Arja

X

Taamiti Bankole

X

Caleb Deats

X

John Lian

X

Stephen Scriber

X

Mira Serrill-Robins

X

Ian Shin

X

Matt Vanneman

X

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

Richa Bhala

X

Avi Das

X

Noah Isserman

X

Marco Locascio

/

Gloria Monfrini

X

Levan Moulton

X

Christina Ryu

X

Jacob Thomas

X

TOTAL SENATORS

 

 

 

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

 

Elan Ghazal

X

Ryan Park

X

Ryan Smith

X

Di Shui

X

Paris Wallace

X

LEGEND:

 

 

 

 

 

x = Present

 

 

 

 

E = Excused Absence

 

 

U = Unexcused Absence

 

/ = Half an Absence

 

 

 

I.  Call to Order (9:02 pm)

II.  Approval of the Minutes (9:03 pm)

Roz: Motion to approve the minutes

Taamiti: Second

Corrections to minutes

Noelle and Issa wrong

Elan: were to was

Minutes approved by unanimous consent

 

III.  Officer Report:

a.  Ryan: No resolution to honor code referendum, with held results, link broken in voting booth, hold another election tomorrow

Mira: How did we find the problem first?

Ryan: Matt informed us on speech night. Representatives from parking ad-hoc committee met with Marx tonight, proposal: $20,000 dollar plan, he’s going to sleep on it and inform us tomorrow of his decision. Results will be announced in the Student Wednesday.

Elan: what was the other initiative?

Ryan: give 200 dollars to every person, up to 100 students, who have a car currently, to give up their car next year.

Ethan: What if someone buys a permit and sells it back?

Ryan: You would have to have a permit this semester. We’ll set the guidelines.

Elan: What about a permanent solution?

Ryan: a one-time fix that buys us more time

Luke: a one-year solution. Can talk about it after the meeting.

Justin: Is this something you’re doing as AAS president or as a student?

Ryan: Just as a student, part of the group who made the proposal.

b.  Elan: I expected greater attendance considering we have the Fall Club Budgets to pass tonight. I just want to touch on a few points in regards to Roberts Rules. Motion has to pertain to discussion on the floor.

IV.  Announcements

a.  Roz: I need to resign from the elections committee as I will be running for Sr. Senator.

b.  Ian: everyone should have gotten a writing survey last Friday, everyone take it seriously.

V.  Special Orders:

a.  Fall Budget Allocations

Paris: Significantly reduced crowd in room indicative of happier results this semester. Any general questions?

Avi: Did you guys put opinions/reasoning on clubs?

Marco: What factors dictate whether a group gets money for speakers or not?

Paris: Whether people had contacted the speaker, didn’t fund Amherst alumni, when groups came in for appeals, asked clubs, have you spoken to the speaker, have you asked them if they need honorariums, if speakers were people’s parents…

Mihailis: Did B.C. members step out of the room when their clubs came up?

Gloria: If they were on the e-board.

Luke: Can we motion to postpone the Fall Club Budget allocations to later in the meeting? Lots of items on the agenda.

Elan: I don’t recommend it, but if you guys want to, that’s fine.

Luke: The floor is open now for motions.

Mira: Looked at Dem-Rep. budgets, similar, but why were they funded differently? I want an explanation.

Ryan Smith: A complaint was filed about it…

Paris: Republicans wanted more money for table tents, Democrats did not come in. Worried that because Republicans hadn’t discussed the budget, some events wouldn’t happen (i.e. never did voter drive before but Democrats have). Didn’t look back at Republicans budget when judging Democrats budget since they are two different clubs run by different people.

Elan: complaint was withdrawn. The issue was solved outside of the J.C. and is no longer an issue for us.

Lincoln: Do a straw pool if other people want to do other business first. Whether to postpone BC discussion until other business is taken care of.

Elan: We will attend to the Distinguished Teacher Award today because it is in Special Orders.

Postpone fall budget by show of hands.

Ethan: Motion to accept the fall budget.

Roz: second.

Mihailis: Gun-awareness trip for Republicans not funded.

Paris: We funded it last fall and it didn’t happen.

Lincoln: Republican budget curious because Democrats requested money for voter registration (37 dollars for stamps, 10 dollars for publicity) funded in full, Republicans made the same request, but were awarded no money.

Paris: Voter registration same for Republicans and Democrats, no need to fund same event twice.

Lincoln: In a two party system, B.C. didn’t see value in both parties conducting it?

Ethan: Does the B.C. think that Republicans are not capable of teaching people to vote?

Elan: If you think you were slighted you can amend it.

Avi: Can we amend up or would we have to de-fund other stuff?

Matt: 18.04 dollars left.

Luke: voting registration done non-partisan (know from working with Mass-Pirg). Yield to Ethan.

Ethan: If it’s a non-partisan issue, why are the Democrats holding it?

Elan: Co-sponsorship? Halve the funding so as to give both parties an equal amount.

Mihailis: I’d like to make the amendment you proposed. Voter registration (6a and b), split funding and give equally to both groups.

Elan: motion on floor to take half of line items 6a and b from the Democrats to give to the Republicans.

Rania: Second.

Ryan: Members of the democrats have led this initiative, members of the Republicans have been invited to this initiative and not shown up.

Mihailis: General privilege: By virtue of requesting money for voter registration meeting, they have shown initiative.

Matt: Point of general privilege, the Republicans didn’t show up.

Ethan: not attending one meeting doesn’t imply we are a bad club.

Luke: I move the question.

Taamiti: second.

Unanimous consent.

Elan: voice vote to decrease Democrats budget line items 6a and b by half to line items 5a and b of Amherst College Republicans. Motion fails.

Mihailis: Request for role call vote.

Elan: Motion still fails.

Mira: Isshinryu Karate vs. Tae Kwon Do, why does Karate get more funding for equipment, etc.

Roz: 2 clubs run differently, Tae Kwon Doe less likely to pull through.

Matt: Tae Kwon Doe came to appeals, and just wanted instructor fees.

Gloria: Tae Kwon Doe didn’t really know what they wanted. They were vague and crude figures.

Ryan: Tom is here to talk about Anime Club.

Tom: Request money for Anime DVD’s for the library. During appeals, asked of shelving, etc. No such thing as shelving processing or fees.

Christian: You can request movies through the library. Have you tried it? Or is your collection too big to get?

Tom: The library will match the funds.

Paris: Anime asked for moneys for DVD’s last semester, but didn’t donate them to library. No control over whether donated or not.

Dan: I’ve requested lots of DVD’s through the library, and only 1 came through.

Gloria: to Rania, when donated DVD’s to library, 15$ cataloguing fee for each DVD, waived for AAS donation.

Mira: Maybe if they spoke to the college librarian they would be able to get the cataloging fee waived.

Tom: I spoke to Susan Sheriden, and she assured us there was no fee associated with it. You can verify with the library, we are donating them. Library ordering them, and we are reimbursing them. No DVD’s have been purchased yet.

Avi: I think this is a really good idea. The library should be open to donations. I think this is something we should fund. I’d like to motion to fund it.

Elan: but we need money to fund it.

Avi: can you explain the 6000 dollar subsidy to the riding team teaching fees?

Roz: gives beginners the ability to learn to ride a horse.

Avi: Is this a full subsidy?

Roz: No, full subsidy would be over 10000 dollars. Lessons are not free. Students pay, and get partly reimbursed.

Mira: I paid 240 dollars for riding fees and have not gotten fully reimbursed.

Mihailis: Move to take 150 dollars away from riding subsidies to give away to Anime.

Avi: Second.

Mihailis: What are grounds for accusation that the videos won’t make it to the library stacks?

Paris: We gave them money, a test-run, to buy DVD’s to give to library. They requested more money, but Anime club had not talked to the library yet.

Elan: No more food orders during senate meetings.

Tom: By last semester, Paris means this semester. The money is being spent. We didn’t know the specifics, but the co-chair of the Anime club had spoken with the library.

Rania: If we do fund Anime’s DVD’s, we will need to fund BSU’s as well. We’ll need to take money away from other clubs. Keep this mindset in mind.

Matt: This is a small request, the ideal request for discretionary request. They can submit in the fall and get it going quickly.

Justin: How much were they given to buy DVD’s this semester?

Matt: 60 dollars.

Dave: Last semester, we decided it was unethical for clubs to make deals with each other. But if decided by senate to reallocate from one club to another, not unethical.

Mihailis: Call to question.

Elan: Voice vote, motion on floor to take 150 dollars away from Riding club lessons subsidy and move it to the Anime club DVD purchase request. Motion fails 11-12.

No more sleeping, if you sleep I’ll ask you to leave the meeting. Back to fall budgets.

Mihailis: Motion to reconsider.

Elan: Need someone who voted in the majority.

Gloria: Motion to reconsider.

Jin Young: Second.

Elan: 14-10 for reconsideration.

Mihailis: Calls the question.

Levan: I object. Rania’s point about BSU is valid. Why are we funding DVD purchases for a club when we didn’t before? What’s the rationale? Can someone in B.C. explain it?

Lincoln: We’re going to vote on it based on its merits.

Richa: Motion to amend. To take an additional 150 dollars away from Riding and fund it for BSU.

Mira: Point of information. Did BSU come in to appeal this?

Gloria: second.

Gloria: BSU did have a list of DVD’s they wanted. Same questions were posed, whether they had spoken to the library, etc. They had not.

Richa: We gave 1000 dollars to the sophomore class to buy DVD’s. Why not trust the student body to do the same thing?

Avi: We should vote on them individually as Lincoln suggested. These two clubs fill out different roles. Anime club’s sole purpose is to watch DVD’s.

Roz: Call to question.

Elan: Take another $150 from Riding Club subsidy and add to BSU’s line item 9a. Roll Call. Motion Fails. Back to original motion.

Mira: People are being unfairly attacked. Riding is something a lot of people do, 30 people are in the club. I don’t know how many people are in the Anime Club, but probably less than 30.

Lincoln: Move the question.

Matt: Second.

Roll Call. Motion fails 12-14.

Noah: Motion to spell “description” correctly for all clubs. 57-part motion.

Garrett: What were the points of differentiation for the ski team and the riding club? Most participants for both clubs will be from higher income families, and majority of riding club members are probably female, exclusive to half of student population.

Ryan Park: We saw 2 distinct differences: 1) the amount of money each individual member needs to put up in dues and equipment to ski –too significant a cost for the AAS to take on; 2) ski team is essentially a varsity sport, people with no experience don’t ski.

Paris: Point of personal privilege, guys are allowed to join the riding club right?

Mira: They don’t discriminate based on gender.

Avi: Garrett’s argument has merit.

Luke: Seems problematic that we fault the ski team for charging dues caused by our lack of support in funding the team.

Levan: We’ve discussed this numerous times. Let’s go with our previous decision.

Gloria: Riders have to pay 240 dollars, with the subsidy we give, they are reimbursed partially. Skiers have to pay 300 in dues and 500 for equipment. That’s 800 dollars to join the ski team. Only one person from the ski team doesn’t pay the dues and is subsidized by the rest of the team. That person still has to pay 500 dollars. It’s much more expensive to join the ski team and not everyone can do it. Second of all, our constituents don’t want us to fund the ski team. As representatives of the student body, there should be no question as to what our obligations are.

Mira: it is not necessary to purchase any equipment for riding.

Justin: Point of general privilege: what do you mean all our constituents don’t want us to fund it?

Gloria: I withdraw my comment.

Dan: There are plenty of worthwhile events that we don’t fund (i.e. race-car driving). The reason we don’t fund activities with prohibitive costs is, note the term “prohibitive.” We voted on this before, but the B.C. generally found it was cost prohibitive to fund 20000 dollars to fund the ski team.

Ryan Park: We would love to fund this if we could, but we can’t fund it to the point where it would be open to the student body as a whole, so we didn’t fund it.

Paris: This year the ski team cost 27000 dollars for 23 people. 10, 15 clubs would need to be cut in order to fund this.

Justin: I’m supportive of the ski team, I disagree with their being cut completely. The ski team has been around for at least 30 years, every other NESCAC has a ski team.

Paris: We’ve only been funding it since 1987, and not every other NESCAC has a ski team.

Justin: This decision was made too quickly.

Ethan: How much per person does the ski team cost compared to the crew team?

Matt: How many people will benefit from continued discussion? No one. Is anyone here to discuss any other budget?

Avi: Rationale for B.C. not funding the radio station’s upgrade?

Gloria: They didn’t know what they wanted at all.

Noah: Peter Gooding is coming next week. There is no way to postpone budget decision until next week?

Roz: A good 2/3 of riding club’s budget goes to subsidies –most of its requests go to entering into races.

Tom: There is still 18.04 dollars still assigned to no one. Can that be assigned to the Anime Club? And then subtract enough from the Riding team to fund 60 dollars to the Anime Club as was done last semester?

Avi: Anime Club is contributing to the whole campus, I motion to take the $18.04 and give it to the Anime Club.

Caleb: Second.

Ethan: Call.

Elan: Seeing no objections, voice vote. Move $18.04 to Anime Club’s line item. Motion passes.

Ethan: Ski cost 27000 last semester, but they only asked for 19000 dollars for next year. It would cost the same as the crew team’s. But Paris has informed me that the ski team will most likely be coming back to ask for more money.

Luke: Call the question.

Elan: No other issues related to the budget?

Roz: Second.

Roll Call. Fall Budget Passes. Applause.

 

b. Distinguished Teacher Award (Meeting Closed)

 

Elan: I need to close the meeting for the distinguished teaching award. I will open the meeting back up after the discussion.

 

VI.  New Business

a.  Constitutional Revisions:

 

Matt: B.C. amendments.

Ethan: Second.

Matt: Does anyone have any questions?

Elan: Any discussions at all?

Christian: Call the question.

Mira: If B.C. members don’t need to be at Senate, it’s breaking an important tie.

Paris: Two members of the Senate, the president, and the treasurer will be at the meeting, a vote tally and a detailed minute from the B.C. should clarify rationale, etc. at Senate meetings.

Matt: People want to join the B.C. but not Senate. Senate functions as a hurdle.

Avi: Less of a hurdle, more of a check/balance or wall. It’s important that B.C. members be senators.

Luke: Just because we have had situations in which people were elected to committees and not dutifully bound to Senate, less competition for elections. It seems important for continuity that the B.C. be a part of the Senate.

Roz: I’m concerned about what people would join the B.C…. maybe for special interests. We can feasibly fill the whole B.C. with members of the ski team to vote for funding for ski-team.

Justin: Why not change the numbers to 4 and 4 or 5 and 3.

Elan: You’d have to make an amendment.

Justin: I amend it to 4 and 4.

Roz: Second.

Justin: 6 non-Senators is just too much.

Avi: Call the question.

Matt: Objection.

Paris: This is responding to a few questions: 1) voting block on Senate, have a quarter of Senate be on B.C.; 2) people don’t run for Senate, people don’t run for B.C., just get people who are genuinely interested in running for the B.C. If more than 6 people run, it will be a fairer system.

Luke: I disagree with the entire policy. Factually based on previous elections where people were elected directly to the B.C., the interest was not there.

Gloria: Call.

Amendment (4 and 4) fails.

Richa: Having elected student members doesn’t improve the B.C. reputation anymore. As far as voting block, there isn’t a lack of dissent in questioning B.C. decisions.

Ryan Park: People won’t have a great social interest to run for the B.C.. I agree with Roz, special interest would become a big incentive for running. And, it would create a disjointed AAS. Less unity would result with B.C. decisions, and it would be more chaotic.

Gloria: 8-person voting block not necessarily true, B.C. doesn’t always render unanimous decisions.

Avi: Call.

Elan: We’re voting on the constitutional amendment to change the B.C. composition to 2 senators and 6 elected-members of the student body.

Motion Fails.

Paris: I think you guys have valid complaints. But problems do exist with the system. Please think of solutions to ameliorate the system. If you acknowledge problems, come forth with solutions or we’ll just do this again next semester and the semester after with no tangible solutions.

Ryan Smith: J.C. recommendations to make changes in the composition of the J.C. Right now it is 3 members of the student body at-large and 2 members of the Senators. Amendments changes it to 5 elected members of the student body at-large.

Elan: Roman numero 7, section b, subsection 2a, it’s supposed to be crossed off.

Ryan Smith: The copy sent out doesn’t have the sections of the constitution crossed off.

Taamiti: I want to explain the rationale behind this amendment. The J.C. is already supposed to be a separate entity. So J.C. members are not allowed to sit on other Senate committees. Make it have 5 students at-large –this would make it more of a separate entity, and it would act more efficiently as a check on the Senate, like the Supreme Court.

Marco: Would a senator be allowed to run for the J.C. with the student population?

Elan: No, you can’t run for 2 positions.

Ryan Park: There are two basic reasons behind this amendment, one is practical: all these complaints come forward, mostly against the AAS Senate body, so J.C. needs to scrounge up scrub-members, which creates a disjointed committee.

Richa: J.C. recognizes clubs. We would lack a liaison between J.C. and Senate, but J.C. can take the initiative to send someone to Senate meetings. Move to vote on amendment pertaining to change the composition of the J.C.

Roz: Second.

Elan: Motion on floor to change VII, section B, subsection 2a and subsequent by-laws.

Dave: The J.C. has 3 primary duties: 1) check on senate, 2) review/recognize clubs, 3) recommend changes in constitution. For one model, it’s necessary to have a separate body (that’s why we have 3 at-large members). But for another purpose, i.e. recognition of clubs, it’s important that J.C. members are in touch with discussions that are going on in the Senate. Senators are also necessary to amend the constitution, based on what happens at Senate meetings.

Mira: I think Dave said it pretty well. A case came up against the treasurer this semester, and it’s important to have Senators on the committee during recognition as well as cases raised against the e-board.

Lincoln: It’s 11 o’clock. Move the question.

Motion Fails.

Elan: It required 2/3 of the votes. 8 votes were in favor and 17 were against.

 

Parking Options:

Elan: I think we should discuss this. This issue will be brought up and taken care of this week.

Ryan: If we let plan A be known to everyone, and it’s rejected, it will seriously influence the implementation of plan B.

Paris: Close the meeting and discuss this issue?

Luke: Plan A cannot be disclosed.

Ryan Park: It will be revealed tomorrow.

 

Mihailis: Motion to adjourn. (11:19PM)

Motion Fails.

 

Elections committee:

Elan: Those who need to resign can you raise your hands? (Roz, Dave, Matt) Can people who aren’t running volunteer?

Matt: Need to plan, reserve room for, publicize, speech night. Send pictures of candidates and candidate statements to the Student. HTML language is advantageous but not necessary.

Elan: Mihailis, Lincoln, and Levan volunteer for the elections committee. Seeing no other volunteers and no objections, these three are elected to the committee by unanimous consent.

Gloria: What computers do we use?

Paris: We have one AAS computer.

Gloria: Can we have that and I’ll donate my computer.

Elan: Someone from the elections committee can figure that out.

Motion to Adjourn, Second, Motion Passes (11:24pm).

 

SENIOR SENATORS

5

6

7

8

9

10

Livia Angiolillo

N

N

N

Y

/

/

Jim Beck

/

/

/

/

/

/

Kay Bradley

N

N

Y

N

N

N

Miahilis Diamantis

Y

Y

Y

Y

N

A

Lincoln Mayer

Y

N

Y

Y

N

N

Preston Scheiner

/

/

/

/

/

/

Luke Swarthout

N

N

Y

Y

N

N

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUNIOR SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ethan Davis

A

N

N

Y

A

N

Rosalyn Foster

A

N

N

Y

N

N

Jin-Young Kim

N

N

N

Y

N

N

Arpan Podduturi

/

/

/

/

/

/

Daniel Reiss

A

N

Y

Y

N

N

Christian Sanchez

N

A

Y

Y

N

N

David Scherr

Y

N

N

Y

N

N

Justin Sharaf

N

N

N

N

N

N

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOPHOMORE SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rania Arja

Y

N

N

Y

/

N

Taamiti Bankole

N

N

N

Y

N

Y

Caleb Deats

N

N

Y

Y

N

N

John Lian

N

A

N

Y

N

N

Stephen Scriber

N

Y

N

Y

N

N

Mira Serrill-Robins

N

A

A

Y

N

N

Ian Shin

N

N

N

Y

N

Y

Matt Vanneman

N

N

N

Y

Y

Y

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FRESHMEN SENATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Richa Bhala

N

Y

Y

Y

N

Y

Avi Das

Y

N

Y

Y

A

N

Noah Isserman

Y

N

Y

Y

N

N

Marco Locascio

A

N

Y

Y

N

Y

Gloria Monfrini

N

N

N

Y

N

/

Levan Moulton

N

Y

N

Y

N

Y

Christina Ryu

N

N

A

Y

N

Y

Jacob Thomas

N

N

Y

Y

N

Y

 

Y = Yes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

N = No

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A = Abstention

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

/ = Not Present for Vote

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 Amend to Decrease Dem funding by 1/2 for 6 a and b and allocate to Repubs for the same line items

 

6 Amend $150 from Riding subsidies to BSU 9a

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 Reconsidered $150 from Riding Subsidies to Anime 2a

 

 

 

8 Fall Club Budgets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9 BC Constitutional and Bylaw Amendment (Compositional Change)

 

10 JC Amendment