The professors and administrators named in Humphries' poem are:
Annotations by Daria D'Arienzo, head of Archives and Special Collections
The Acropolis of Amherst College
The following poem was first published in the Amherst Alumni News, Volume XV, No. 4, Spring, 1963, as a sidebar to David Tannous '64's article "A Short History of Walker Hall."
For Walker Hall, 1870 - 1963
(With apologies to the shade of Oliver Wendell Holmes, but
recalling the motto on the south wall of Professor Genung's
second-floor classroom: "Qui novit, neque id quod sentit exprimit,
perinde est ac si nesciret." ["He who knows but cannot express what he knows might as well be ignorant."])
Aye, tear her Monson granite down,
Long has it soared on high,
And many an eye has winced to see
Her vanes against the sky.
Beneath them rung Bib. Lit (GENUNG),
And GROSVIE's Iron Crown,
That dwelling, fit for crownèd truth,
From air now topples down.
Her halls once red with KIDDER's ink,
Or black with Weathers' rage,
No more embarrass TYLER's claim,
"The glory of the age."
Where OLDS and GARMAN used to teach,
And GUEST and HEWLETT toil,
Those offices of high emprise
Are level, now, with soil.
Ah, better that her shattered bulk
Should sink beneath the sod,
And her demolished Gothic haunt
The scholars of the quad.
Let, once again, a Day of Mark
Commemorate her fall,
And quake and cloud lament, Farewell,
Fond eyesore, Walker Hall!
—Rolfe Humphries '15